Moparts

Car goes out of control?

Posted By: Cuda67

Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 04:33 PM

Thanks for any help.
I had BF Goodrich, now Coopers. (Sorry. The Goodrich didn't work either.) Tire pressure is 32 psi. When I launch and smoke the tires the rear goes to the right and keeps going farther no matter what I do. After a short distance I have to get out of it. It doesn't fish tail. The car is a Hemi powered 1965 coronet automatic. It has the race pinion snubber and heavy duty springs and std shocks. What can I do to make it go straight? (With slicks it goes straight.)
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 04:42 PM

If it went straight w/ goodrich tires, try swapping the new ones side to side. Sounds like maybe one is slightly larger diameter. Almost every car I've had though wants to fishtail w/street tires if I'm really roasting them.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 05:04 PM

I'm trying to figure out the problem ...

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 05:11 PM

???? don't stand on it then. One should NEVER race a car on street tires. What's the point? want to go straight and hook-up, buy some slicks. I've only had a few cars that would track straight under full waffle.
"(With slicks it goes straight.)" then you're good
Posted By: SmallHurst

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 05:15 PM

Quote:

???? don't stand on it then. One should NEVER race a car on street tires. What's the point?

Tell that to the Pure Stock and F.A.S.T. racers!!! That is part of the challenge. Mine washes to the left almost everytime in the burnout box, but is fine going down the strip.

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 05:17 PM

Invest in a set of Cal-Tracs,....so that you can dial in the cars launch/squat/tracking characteristics
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 05:25 PM

Quote:

Invest in a set of Cal-Tracs,....so that you can dial in the cars launch/squat/tracking characteristics

That's what I use to do with my 'brand x' cars with slappers, which were usually Lakewoods. Just preload one a little more than the other & I could usually get them to go straighter. I don't know what you do with a single snubber. You could try to play with your tire pressure side-to-side a little but I wouldn't try more than 3 or 4 lbs or it could cup or ride on the center treads.
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 05:39 PM

make sure your rear-end is straight also.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 06:34 PM

you shouldn't roast radial tires anyway, they seem to hook up best when only dry hopped a few times. if you roast them the rubber can ball up and cause less traction than with doing nothing at all.

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 06:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

???? don't stand on it then. One should NEVER race a car on street tires. What's the point?

Tell that to the Pure Stock and F.A.S.T. racers!!! That is part of the challenge. Mine washes to the left almost everytime in the burnout box, but is fine going down the strip.

yeah because those tires are totally real old style bias plys.
Posted By: DAMOPARS

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 06:41 PM

I welded in frame rail and clamped the springs and it goes straight ,,, oh and good shocks.

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 07:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you actually know anything about the tires they run ?

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you actually know anything about the tires they run ?

read a bit on them yes. and some of the "prep" work that is done

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 10:32 PM

Quote:

read a bit on them yes. and some of the "prep" work that is done

Link ? I like to see that ...
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: Car goes out of control? - 08/26/10 10:33 PM

I used to have a Road Runner with 4:30 gears without a sure grip. Right after I would launch I always had to turn the steering wheel about a half turn to the right. The car would track at about a 45 degree angle all the way through 1st, 2nd, and as it would finally gain traction I could straighten it up about 3rd gear .
Nothing to worry about. You will get used to it .
The spectators love it, your flagman will possibly need to change his underwear.

Greg
© 2024 Moparts Forums