Moparts

Hotchkis Suspension Kits?

Posted By: 440custom

Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/15/10 11:45 PM

I'm thinking of buying their suspension kit for my 70 Barracuda and just wondering if anyone on here has pulled the trigger on this yet? Does it work as advertised?
Thanks
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 12:09 AM

I've already had LOTS of suspension mods done to my car over the last 16 years (since 1994). With those mods I've driven it 70,000 miles, daily commuted 80 mile through Los Angeles for 4 years, driving it from L.A. to Iowa and back 4 times, snow/salt/rain/sleet, been to 14 different states, autocrosses, and road course tracks days etc, etc.

My Cuda has had lots of combinations of tires, rims, shocks, swaybars. Like I've run no less than 4 different rims sizes, 4 tires sizes, 4 different brands of shocks (Herb Adams, Koni, KYB, QA1), 4 Swaybars (early stock, late stock, 1 1/8, 1 1/4). This is not the first suspension setup on my Cuda. Not hardly.

Well, I'm totally impressed at all the improvements that the Hotchkis TVS made that I added about a month ago. After all that fiddling around for 16 years this is hands down the best system and combination of parts. A game changer for me.

For all those 16 years, my car had .99" torsion bars. Those are 65% more spring rate than stock. It's a stiffer ride, but not like you might think. BUT the shocks didn't seem to control things. When I hit long dips or pavement separation the seat belt would pull me down and stuff like that.

Now with the TVS shocks and their system, I don't feel that.

The kicker is I just installed 1.14" torsion bars with the TVS system. !! Ok, those are BIG bars. Those are THREE TIMES stock rate and 57% more rate than the .99" t-bars. Those are way bigger than I would expect most to run on their car...

You know, with the TVS system the big T-bars are nicer riding than the smaller .99 T-bars. I was sort of shocked. With .99 bars it would be even better.

I really notice how good it tracks on long soft freeway/interstate curves. I've taken it hard on some tight freeway on ramps and it just bites and grips. Problem now I'm comming out of the seat on fast tight turn like that. I'm bracing my knee against the center console. I already have a decent side bolster seat, but I need bigger bolster and a 3 point seat belt.

It tracks really nice and stable up to 100 mph or so on the freeway. But I have a bad water pump bearing in this temporary motor so I'm taking it easy.

Attached picture 6141381-SFSF10Track13.jpg

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 01:50 AM

This is what some of the rear Hotchkis stuff looks like installed.

The rear sway bar is three way adjustable to dial in the balance of the car. It is also hollow so it doesn't add much unsprung weight at all. The dogbone type rear sway bar end links allow the rear to move up and down bind free.

The doughnut type rear sway bar bushings will add resistance if they are not absolutely perfectly installed to the right height and placement fore and aft.

Attached picture 6141604-Hotchkis7_28_10TVSbuildSm33.JPG
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 02:28 AM

I am a novice, but the 4 Hotchkis/Bilstein shocks I just put on the R/T made an amazing transformation. I recently put about 1300 miles on the car and the ride and handling is much improved. Rear Sway is next.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 05:03 AM

check out firmfeel.com

their stuff is awesome.
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 05:07 AM

I don't know about a 70 Mopar but I had their stuff on my 99 Dakota R/T and ...it was OK in the front but sucked in the back. Their springs made the truck ride so poorly I was slowing down on the highway just to avoid the jarring when a slight seam appeared in the road. I had Honda Accords flying by me.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 07:07 AM

I haven't had to slow down for anything on the highway. I've had a lot of other stuff on it. Ride is better and I have 57% stiffer front springs than previous.

I don't think the Hotckis rear springs are that stiff. The thing that makes them special are the big leaves under the main one for anti wrap up under acceleration AND the big leaf on top of the main one to prevent axle hopping under deacceration (braking). Most of the guys running Mopars hard on autox or road course have problems with wheel hop under braking until they have special springs and good shocks.

Attached picture 6142096-Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm37.JPG
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 12:13 PM

I've yet to actually phone anyone up and ask this, but i wonder if any ov these complete suspension systems could be ordered with a custom ride-height. Or for that matter, if they'd even work with more ride-height. I've been saving for a big kit for a long while now, first it was the XV stage I kit, now this comes along. I'm sure there are others. But they all involve lowering my Challenger.

I dont want to lower my Challenger. In fact, i'd like to actually retain the stock T/A ride height, with the slightly raked rear.

I realize why cars are lowered, and all the science involved, as well as i understand that there would be an obvious compromise with a higher car (likely transition from side to side at speed would suffer the most), but i wonder if these companies would even touch a request for a stock or higher ride height.... . . .

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 12:17 PM

Also, would anyone here have any idea how much total weight one ov these full systems would add to an otherwise bone stock car? Say, a car with the R/T level stock suspension?

I'm thinking there is an overall weight penalty for all this wonderful handling, but how much...??? Bad enough that mounting some REAL wheels and tires and stiffening the chassis bumps the scale a bunch...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 12:21 PM

They are a TON of money. It would seem to me you could put something together cheaper, I guess it depends on what you want it for. If you are building a road course car then it might be worth the $4k plus, if you just want a better handling car you could probably get away with some junk yard parts, good shocks, all new Poly front end and a disc brake upgrade.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 04:38 PM

Quote:

Also, would anyone here have any idea how much total weight one ov these full systems would add to an otherwise bone stock car? Say, a car with the R/T level stock suspension?

I'm thinking there is an overall weight penalty for all this wonderful handling, but how much...??? Bad enough that mounting some REAL wheels and tires and stiffening the chassis bumps the scale a bunch...

The front and rear sway bar are tubular and don't weight any more than stock. Upper control arms won't add anything either. Their rear leafs do weigh less than stock. On mine just lifting them I'd say 5-10 pounds each. Only real weight adder is the subframe connectors.

When you net that out with the rear spring savings I'd bet you'd only be adding 20 lbs. Maybe less. And that's all low weight in the center of the car.

I'd bet an aluminum 17x9 with 275/40/17 tires it would be no more than a steel 15x7 ralley with trim rings and center caps.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/16/10 11:23 PM

More from the novice: I have a Firm Feel steering box-top notch. USCartool subframe connectors too. The Hotchkis anti-sway bars are advertised to be hollow and a stronger technology than the old bars.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The front and rear sway bar are tubular and don't weight any more than stock. Upper control arms won't add anything either. Their rear leafs do weigh less than stock. On mine just lifting them I'd say 5-10 pounds each. Only real weight adder is the subframe connectors.

When you net that out with the rear spring savings I'd bet you'd only be adding 20 lbs. Maybe less. And that's all low weight in the center of the car.

I'd bet an aluminum 17x9 with 275/40/17 tires it would be no more than a steel 15x7 ralley with trim rings and center caps.

I thought it was more the little things that added up, stuff like thicker tie rod ends, thicker T-bars, thicker everything really. I am surprised the leafs dont weigh more. Interesting.

When it comes time, i'll be replacing 15x8 steelies (just caps) and 295/50/15 radial TA's with 17x9 and wider rear, with as much tire as i can stuff in there. If you dont spend the money, those rims are heavy, The tires are 30+ each. Thats the worst weight possible too, unsprung and rotating. Ov course, its not optional, but its still heavy. Drag racers have it so easy...

And yes, these kits are a ton ov money. Heh... thats why i'm still saving. I have a pretty good set-up on the 72 Charger (all poly, KYB's, fact HP springs, lowered, BFG 295's) but it never really impressed me. I never quite got around to tuning it, the springs are still stock and the tires blow, but i still expected more. I think a decent portion ov those big kit prices is the engineering that went into them. That is pretty much what i'm paying for. I'd expect the kit to work very well for that price.
Posted By: Hotchkis

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 12:58 AM

Steve -

It's great to hear that you are enjoying the Hotchkis parts. It means a lot for us to hear that, as we know how long you've been interested in handling and performance driving.

Dennis, Pale Roader and all -

The weight difference of the TVS is minimal, and on our resident drag racer Elana's car, she saw no difference in E.T. but reported a noticeable improvement in street handling and even on-strip tracking. She said it requires less correction in a straight line.

The ride height is set on the leaf springs, the lowering is an important part of improving handling. That said, it is still adjustable through torsion bar settings, and we haven't had clearance problems on our R&D cars.

You can watch the full install to see how well our parts fit when compared to many competitors. The car in the video is a good example of the difference the Hotchkis suspension makes, even compared to junkyard and bushing upgrades. This car had full poly bushings, Mopar Performance rear springs, large torsion bars, heavy duty shocks and a factory sway bar. The Hotchkis components made for a dramatic difference in lap and slalom times.

Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 02:08 AM

Quote:

When it comes time, i'll be replacing 15x8 steelies (just caps) and 295/50/15 radial TA's with 17x9 and wider rear, with as much tire as i can stuff in there. If you dont spend the money, those rims are heavy, The tires are 30+ each. Thats the worst weight possible too, unsprung and rotating. Ov course, its not optional, but its still heavy. Drag racers have it so easy...

I was thinking about wheel weights too... https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...ID=#Post6143474
Posted By: JimDiesel

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 03:16 AM

I don't know this vendor or if they are legtimate, but They are advertising a B Body TVS system for $2,666 with shipping on EBAY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-69-Mop...sQ5fAccessories

Maybe Hotchkis needs more test cars, or Group Buy?
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 03:44 AM

Hotchis-Do you have a kit for a 71 B-Body?

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 05:48 AM

Quote:

This car had full poly bushings, Mopar Performance rear springs, large torsion bars, heavy duty shocks and a factory sway bar....

I think this is a key statement. That 440 Challenger was IMHO better off to start than your 72 Charger is now is Pale Roader. It was not really stock as the graph labels it. It had the same stuff you have plus I'm pretty postive it had .99 T-bars in it to start with. Those are 25% stiffer than stock 440, quite significant. And a fairly new set of MP HD leaf springs.

With the factory .92 440 R/T Torsion Bars I guarantee the skid pad numbers would be less than .78 as a baseline.

Quote:

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 07:32 AM

Quote:

This car had full poly bushings, Mopar Performance rear springs, large torsion bars, heavy duty shocks and a factory sway bar....

I think this is a key statement. That 440 Challenger was IMHO better off to start than your 72 Charger is now is Pale Roader. It was not really stock as the graph labels it. It had the same stuff you have plus I'm pretty postive it had .99 T-bars in it to start with. Those are 25% stiffer than stock 440, quite significant. And a fairly new set of MP HD leaf springs. Also, KYB shocks. I was out at the track the day they swapped all the before and after stuff on the blue Challenger. I have detailed pictures of it if anyone is interested?

With the factory .92 440 R/T Torsion Bars I guarantee the skid pad numbers would be less than .78 as a baseline.

Quote:

Posted By: Jerry

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 12:40 PM

it just sucks that the challenger is still the slowest through everything even after the mods. are there any additional improvements to be had? was the engine underpowered? trans slipping? subframe connectors need to be welded in? that could have helped shave a few more seconds and a few MPH.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 04:23 PM

Quote:

it just sucks that the challenger is still the slowest through everything even after the mods. are there any additional improvements to be had? was the engine underpowered? trans slipping? subframe connectors need to be welded in? that could have helped shave a few more seconds and a few MPH.

It's skid pad numbers were as good as a stock brand new 2010 SS Camaro. The other Camaro was an SS 3rd gen (300 lbs lighter BTW). Those are very good handling cars to start with. Maybe they should have had an 1988 stock Mustang GT out there.

Subframe connectors were welded in on the front. on the rear they are bolted directly to the leaf spring perch bolts that translate most the loads of the rear through. I think that car runs pretty good at the drags.

Some improvements I can think of...

Tires. Car only had 245/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's. Those other cars had 275 wide low profile Z rated tires. I'd like to see the numbers if 245/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's were put on a stock 2010 SS Camaro or those other cars.

Weight. It has an all steel 440 AND is an air conditioning car just without the compressor. It's heavy with a lot of weight on the front end.

Springs. Front Torsion bars are 1.00". Some 1.06 or 1.13 would be better for a car with that kind of front end weight.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 05:50 PM

ok now with the addictional information it makes more sense. being hotchkis though i think i would have put on the 17 or 18" rims and tires and had at the track before posting comparion type numbers.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 05:59 PM

Quote:

ok now with the addictional information it makes more sense. being hotchkis though i think i would have put on the 17 or 18" rims and tires and had at the track before posting comparion type numbers.

I think they were trying to demostrate the change rather than raw numbers. And a before and after of JUST the parts they sell, keeping other variables constant. Rims and tires are another thing that very per customer. Those BFG's and rim size are very common on these cars. So it gives people something to relate to.

They did another test on the green Valiant with rim and tire changes.
Posted By: MoparPosterChild

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/17/10 10:05 PM

I love the Hotchkis TVS system on my Duster. It has made an obvious deference in the ride quality and handling of my car. I put it to the test too, by completing a 6,000 mile road trip right after the kit was installed. Every driving condition imaginable, and it performed flawlessly.

There's an article in this months issue of Muscle Car Power magazine detailing the installation on my car. Check it out.

I would certainly recommend this set up to people looking to upgrade their suspension, especially if you don't want to do anything too radically different from the stock set up.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/18/10 12:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think this is a key statement. That 440 Challenger was IMHO better off to start than your 72 Charger is now is Pale Roader. It was not really stock as the graph labels it. It had the same stuff you have plus I'm pretty postive it had .99 T-bars in it to start with. Those are 25% stiffer than stock 440, quite significant. And a fairly new set of MP HD leaf springs. Also, KYB shocks. I was out at the track the day they swapped all the before and after stuff on the blue Challenger. I have detailed pictures of it if anyone is interested?

Quote:

Yes, i noticed that. I'd wager the weight was the same, mine is an even 3600 without me in it, pretty light. Also consider that when i say 'factory HP' T-bars and leafs, i mean the 383/440 Magnum stuff... NOT 6-pack/Hemi stuff. No .92" bars here... i wish. What are mine? .90" i think? One step up from 318 bars, one down from Hemi. Otherwise, the cars probably spec pretty similar. Mine has KYB's as well, plus factory front and rear sway bars with poly everything. That E-body is also smaller all around, a bonus i'm sure.

I'd be surprised if mine skidpadded even close to that Challenger. It just never felt all that hot to be honest. Like i said, there is still tuning to be done, but i never bothered, other issues popped up before i could. Plus, old 295/50/15 BFG Radial T/A's dont exactly handle all that hot...

I'm not concerned with the Charger anymore. Its painted and going on the block soon. This is someone else's dream car. The money will go into my 70 Challenger, particularly the suspension.

Okay edit: Read the posts on this page. That Challenger was likely considerably heavier than my B-body. Mine has zero options, and has been lightened further still. But now i see the tires were the same. I'll say right now those tires are awful. Great for just cruisin' around in a cool muscle car or smokin' them off, but for cornering they blow. Mine are considerably wider though, for what thats worth.

Tires would make a VAST difference. I once took 295 BFG's (all 'round) off a car and put 225/50/Z-15 Yoko's on the same rims. It looked disgusting, but the handling was night and day improved, even with TINY 225's on it. I'd love to see new numbers on that Challenger with some 275/40/17 G-Force KD's or similar tires. My Challenger wont leave the driveway without good tires, and wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide...

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/18/10 01:19 PM

Quote:

The ride height is set on the leaf springs, the lowering is an important part of improving handling. That said, it is still adjustable through torsion bar settings, and we haven't had clearance problems on our R&D cars.

Cool... i forgot that Hotchkis actually posted here...

Just so you know, i understand the sacrifice that a higher car makes on handling. Before all these kits came along i had long conversations with my (very intelligent) suspension guy about this. I'm not concerned with clearance, i just do not like the lowered look. Especially on Challengers. Thats just me.

You say the ride height is adjustable, i assume you mean just the front (turning the T-bars up)? I also assume that a custom ride height (probably talking a good 3-6" higher in the rear than your yellow T/A, its hard to tell by the pics) would involve entirely different leafs (longer and more arched), which either made by you for my particular application might mess with the carefully designed tune ov the suspension? or made by someone else and thrown into your otherwise complete kit would be even worse?

Am i pretty much outta my mind here on this...??? Heh heh... i would totally understand if you or the other kit-makers (XV?) would rather just tell me to go fly...

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/18/10 05:01 PM

Quote:

For height reference, the pictures of blue Challenger with the Rallye rims were the "after" shots with the Hotchkis rear leafs. To tell the picture apart, the "before" pictures are with Magnum rims, but with same the tires. So look at the height of that car. It literally has the same leafs the E-Max yellow Challenger has. They swapped the leaf springs between the two cars right there at the track!

The blue Challenger after does not look as low as the Yellow E-Max one. Tire height I would think is the factor.

The "before" leaf springs on the blue challenger where P4452984 with a manuf. date of 5/11/06 (don't know install date). I took a picture of them on the ground after they took them off. I take pictures of all kinds of weird stuff. I'm nosey.

I know on my car they wanted the rear height difference before and after. They measure from the centerline of the rear end to the top of the fender lip. Every car is different and they are trying to monitor and compile information on that to help customers with question like you have Pale Roader.

So they may have before after ride heights on the Blue Challenger. Call Drew on the Hotchkis tech line and tell him Steve noticed they had some rear ride height before/after numbers. Turns out Drew was also out there bloodied knuckle wrenching on the Challengers. I thought that was pretty cool.

Pale Roader, I think I would attack you rear ride height issue with rear tire height and maybe lower front spring hanger. I think the Hotchkis spring hanger moves the leaf eye up. So maybe you could leave the original ones in check the height.

Like 275/40/17's in the front and 275-295?/50/17 in rear. Or maybe more rear rim diameter?

Drew on the tech/sale phone line...

Attached picture 6146107-HotchkisWillow0515Sm.JPG
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/19/10 06:35 AM

Quote:

I would be looking to upgrade to rearswat bar kit for my 72' charger as well. Leafs would be nice, but anything helps.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/19/10 07:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would be looking to upgrade to rearswat bar kit for my 72' charger as well. Leafs would be nice, but anything helps.

I just checked their web site. They don't list a whole TVS kit but everything but subframe connectors and rear sway bar. I'd call on that rear sway bar, it might be something in the works that isn't listed yet. I'd think it would be just a matter of the width difference on the rear frame rails between a E and 71-74 B-body. Those two body styles have a lot in common.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/19/10 12:51 PM

Quote:

For height reference, the pictures of blue Challenger with the Rallye rims were the "after" shots with the Hotchkis rear leafs. To tell the picture apart, the "before" pictures are with Magnum rims, but with same the tires. So look at the height of that car. It literally has the same leafs the E-Max yellow Challenger has. They swapped the leaf springs between the two cars right there at the track!

The blue Challenger after does not look as low as the Yellow E-Max one. Tire height I would think is the factor.

Okay, maybe its the glue i've been sniffing, but i dont have these pictures anywhere...

But if you say rallye rims, then its a sure bet there are 60 series tires (or very big 50's) on there, so yes, much taller.

I found the pile o pictures ov the yellow T/A, and from what i can tell from the only angles i have, i'd want that axle centerline to sit a good 6" higher than theirs does. Yes... that is SIX INCHES. Thats about 5" in the front ov the car too (maybe even almost 6", as i like to use the tire height to adjust stance/rake). That sounds really excessive here, but that Hotchkis T/A is LOW... My car sits right about factory T/A height (read: factory rake) and i'd like to keep it that way. My centerline is right around the bottom line ov the car, or a bit lower. I've measured the centerline to lip and its about 14". I have (bald) 305/50/15's sitting on there right now, and theres still 1/2" ov air between tire and lip.

Optimal? no. Possible with good handling? well, thats what i'm asking. Dare to be different, right...???

Quote:

The "before" leaf springs on the blue challenger where P4452984 with a manuf. date of 5/11/06 (don't know install date). I took a picture of them on the ground after they took them off. I take pictures of all kinds of weird stuff. I'm nosey.

I know on my car they wanted the rear height difference before and after. They measure from the centerline of the rear end to the top of the fender lip. Every car is different and they are trying to monitor and compile information on that to help customers with question like you have Pale Roader.

So they may have before after ride heights on the Blue Challenger. Call Drew on the Hotchkis tech line and tell him Steve noticed they had some rear ride height before/after numbers. Turns out Drew was also out there bloodied knuckle wrenching on the Challengers. I thought that was pretty cool.

Pale Roader, I think I would attack you rear ride height issue with rear tire height and maybe lower front spring hanger. I think the Hotchkis spring hanger moves the leaf eye up. So maybe you could leave the original ones in check the height.

Like 275/40/17's in the front and 275-295?/50/17 in rear. Or maybe more rear rim diameter?

Tire height wont work. The ones i want to use are 26.2". To get the rake i want with the ride height on that Hotchkis T/A i'd need some 38" Boggers...

Again, that Hotchkis car is LOW.

The front hanger will be important. Maybe i can even lower it, custom fab something nice and solid? I want to stay away from excessive rear hanger, for obvious reasons. Even excessive spring arch wont be optimal, but i may be out ov choices by that point? I even thought ov gusseting the frame for lower hanger attachment points, front and rear, that would probably be better. Done right, that might just work. Too much ov that would look goofy though. Heh heh... and then ov course i'd have the issue ov what happens to that nicely thought-out kit when i jack up the T-bars like, 5 1/2" higher than they designed it... The (short) shocks they use wouldn't work either. The whole idea is turning into a complete mess. As you can tell i'm guessing here...

Quote:

Drew on the tech/sale phone line...

I hate to bug a guy when i dont have a handful o cash. I used to do that a lot, then i worked counter at a hothod shop and realized how annoying that is...

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/19/10 04:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, maybe its the glue i've been sniffing, but i dont have these pictures anywhere...

But if you say rallye rims, then its a sure bet there are 60 series tires (or very big 50's) on there, so yes, much taller.

I found the pile o pictures ov the yellow T/A, and from what i can tell from the only angles i have, i'd want that axle centerline to sit a good 6" higher than theirs does. Yes... that is SIX INCHES. Thats about 5" in the front ov the car too (maybe even almost 6", as i like to use the tire height to adjust stance/rake). That sounds really excessive here, but that Hotchkis T/A is LOW... My car sits right about factory T/A height (read: factory rake) and i'd like to keep it that way. My centerline is right around the bottom line ov the car, or a bit lower. I've measured the centerline to lip and its about 14". I have (bald) 305/50/15's sitting on there right now, and theres still 1/2" ov air between tire and lip.

Optimal? no. Possible with good handling? well, thats what i'm asking. Dare to be different, right...???

The blue challenger had 245/60/15 tires before and after. So those picture are with those tires.

Here's a picture of the Challenger. Maybe Elana who owns the Challenger can get you a current side picture with measurements. I might be a little higher than with these rear springs.

It's going to be that big a deal to run some lower or stock rear hangers.

They have the E-Max yellow sitting really low. Way more than someone bolting on one of their kits. It's not real daily driver height friendly from what I heard/saw. I'd pay attention to the blue Challenger for height more so than the yellow one.

Attached picture 6148004-CopyofPICT0558.JPG

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/20/10 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The blue challenger had 245/60/15 tires before and after. So those picture are with those tires.

Here's a picture of the Challenger. Maybe Elana who owns the Challenger can get you a current side picture with measurements. I might be a little higher than with these rear springs.

It's going to be that big a deal to run some lower or stock rear hangers.

They have the E-Max yellow sitting really low. Way more than someone bolting on one of their kits. It's not real daily driver height friendly from what I heard/saw. I'd pay attention to the blue Challenger for height more so than the yellow one.

245/60/15 tires huh? I think that in itself is a testament to how well that system must work, because those tires aint doing anything good for that car, handling wise. Even a 'good' tire in that size, say, the old 60 series Comp T/A's (H-rated) couldn't hold a candle to a nice modern tire.

But actually, that car looks about the same, as far as suspension height. Ride height is higher obviously, though not much (25.5" tire vs i'm guessing a 26" tire?). In my pictures, that Hotchkis T/A has the axle centerline around level with the first body-line on a Challenger, which is about 5-6" above the bottom line. The blue car, though the picture is fuzzy, looks about the same. My car sits about 6" higher.

Yes, the rear hanger deal will be an issue. Should i assume the kit uses a shorter than stock hanger? I'm thinking the mounting point would have to be lowered, probably a lot. Possibly, with attention to the frame where the front hanger attaches, plus a custom hanger, and the right spring, i could have my cake and eat it too, but then i've still got to figure out the front suspension. Jack up the T-bars an inch and things may be okay. Jack 'em up 5" and everything gets a bit goofy...

As for the 'E-max yellow', again, i think it comes down to tires. The tires they use are very low sidewall. My 71 Fury sat VERY low for a while... i had 225/50/15 Yoko's on it. They changed EVERYTHING. It handled amazingly for an otherwise huge, heavy, bone-stock car with 30 year old suspension. Hated the look though. Now i wouldn't even put tires that tiny on my Pinto...
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/20/10 03:36 PM

Since retaining stock ride height is of such importance, I'd say you pick up the peices of the kits you want, and put them on, and let the chips fall where they may. The steps up in s-bar roll resistance will be an improvement over stock. Modernize the alignment and there you go. Will it be optimal, hardly, but it will be better. How much better is a debatable point since "good" handling seems to be a somewhat subjective opinion to a lot of posters here anyway. I don't know your background, experience, and expectations, so then you will have to decide is it good enough.

If, once you are done with that, you're still dis-statisfied, then you need to explore how far you can go with wheel rates to reduce the roll resistance of the vehicle. My guess is ultimately you will be limited by available t-bar sizes in how far you can go. It also is entirely possible to get springs custom made to whatever arch you want in whatever rate you want, and I'm not talking about Espos here, but real competitionbased spring manufacturers. They aren't cheap, expect to spend in the $500-1000 range, but they are out there.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/20/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

Here is a T/A with facorty correct sized tires and only 40K mile original born with T/A rear leaf springs. This picture is straight on with the camera about 6 inches from the ground.

Attached picture 6149850-PICT0625sm.JPG
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/20/10 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is a T/A with facorty correct sized tires and only 40K mile original born with T/A rear leaf springs. This picture is straight on with the camera about 6 inches from the ground.

Are the Spring "new or NOS" I would imagine even if it is only 30k on the car after 40 years the orginal springs would be sagging some.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/20/10 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are the Spring "new or NOS" I would imagine even if it is only 30k on the car after 40 years the orginal springs would be sagging some.

True. But I think it's about a true to original as one can get short of someone with a broken-in/settled pair of true NOS T/A leaf springs. Replacement springs are all over the place.

The angle of the picture has something to do with the rake you see. I used that previous picture because you could scale off of it. Here is the same picture with the camera at eye level.

Attached picture 6149895-PICT0624sm.JPG

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/20/10 06:46 PM

I wouldn't think anyone would want it to end up looking like this?

Attached picture 6149917-Hotchkis7_28_10TVSbuildSm10.JPG

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/21/10 12:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now... i wasn't there 40 years ago... but i doubt thats how they came. If they did then the factory hype was just that, hype. That looks about normal for a non-TA. I have seen, and these are rare... at least a couple old pictures and ads/articles (i forget, i dont have them now) ov original T/A's, and the rake was there. You NEVER see this on restored T/A's. Either its an oversight ov the builder, or perhaps a too-trusting builder buying from a manufacturer with bad specs, or preference ov the builder not wanting a raked car (though i would think that these 'gold-standard' resto's would build how they came, despite what the builder likes), or as i've seen too many times, sheer laziness ov the builder. I'm obsessed with these cars, and have looked at hundreds in person, and any picture i can find online. I've only seen a few pics with what looks like a decent rake. Many ov those have aftermarket suspension aids (read: saggy leafs). Maybe these cars sagged quicker than non-T/A's?

Keep in mind thats only 40K, but its also 40 years. Time is as big an enemy as miles.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/21/10 01:17 PM

Quote:

Since retaining stock ride height is of such importance, I'd say you pick up the peices of the kits you want, and put them on, and let the chips fall where they may. The steps up in s-bar roll resistance will be an improvement over stock. Modernize the alignment and there you go. Will it be optimal, hardly, but it will be better. How much better is a debatable point since "good" handling seems to be a somewhat subjective opinion to a lot of posters here anyway. I don't know your background, experience, and expectations, so then you will have to decide is it good enough.

If, once you are done with that, you're still dis-statisfied, then you need to explore how far you can go with wheel rates to reduce the roll resistance of the vehicle. My guess is ultimately you will be limited by available t-bar sizes in how far you can go. It also is entirely possible to get springs custom made to whatever arch you want in whatever rate you want, and I'm not talking about Espos here, but real competitionbased spring manufacturers. They aren't cheap, expect to spend in the $500-1000 range, but they are out there.

My suspension guy recommended a local spring guy, who builds custom springs for all manner ov HP 4x4's. I've brought him my dilemma and he wasn't worried. There were a ton ov options, and it wasn't expensive, but again, thats still only the rear end, and again, the whole draw ov this thread and idea is having a pre-designed and tested KIT, that is balanced and well thought out.

Unless Hotchkis chimes in here and has a better idea, i think i'm gonna be winging it and hoping for the best. I'll start with getting my ride-height/stance where i want it, with a bunch more spring rate, TRY and match the front rate to the rear, probably buy at least a matched set ov sway bars and (longer) shocks, poly everything and then hope to make up for the extra height/mismatched parts with some serious tire size and technology. If i can get the thing sitting how i want it, but stiffer, essentially a stock T/A, then the tires should be able to make up for some ov the MickeyMouse. Another bonus is that my car will be light... around 3200lbs empty.

Roll resistance should be tamable, there are trucks that handle pretty flat, and might actually do okay in the curves without the tall tires (always wanted to put racing rollers on a truck and see what happens...). Stiffness, swaybars and shocks might go a long way, as do tires. And even a Challenger sitting high is a pretty wide, flat car. Also keep in mind that without having to have my tires fit inside the wheelwells i gain an extra few inches ov track, and that is a big deal.

My suspension guy said the whole thing could work better than you might think, with the main problem being transitioning from side to side. Then again, he loves a challenge...

Is Hotchkis reading this...???

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/21/10 04:58 PM

Quote:

Now... i wasn't there 40 years ago... but i doubt thats how they came. If they did then the factory hype was just that, hype. That looks about normal for a non-TA. I have seen, and these are rare... at least a couple old pictures and ads/articles (i forget, i dont have them now) ov original T/A's, and the rake was there. You NEVER see this on restored T/A's. Either its an oversight ov the builder, or perhaps a too-trusting builder buying from a manufacturer with bad specs, or preference ov the builder not wanting a raked car (though i would think that these 'gold-standard' resto's would build how they came, despite what the builder likes), or as i've seen too many times, sheer laziness ov the builder. I'm obsessed with these cars, and have looked at hundreds in person, and any picture i can find online. I've only seen a few pics with what looks like a decent rake. Many ov those have aftermarket suspension aids (read: saggy leafs). Maybe these cars sagged quicker than non-T/A's?

Keep in mind thats only 40K, but its also 40 years. Time is as big an enemy as miles.

Not a lazy builder. That's Troy's T/A he had about 2000 hours into. One of the most documented and thorough T/A restos out there. Those are original date coded leaf springs the car was born with. Different angles of picture give it different looks. I have pictures of that same car that look like even more rake. Non T/A cars almost look to be sagging in the rear from the factory.

Nevermind trying to figure out what the suspension height were originally. It really is about the height and rake you want or want to maintain. Any side view pictures and measurements of your car right now?

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/22/10 12:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not a lazy builder. That's Troy's T/A he had about 2000 hours into. One of the most documented and thorough T/A restos out there. Those are original date coded leaf springs the car was born with. Different angles of picture give it different looks. I have pictures of that same car that look like even more rake. Non T/A cars almost look to be sagging in the rear from the factory.

Nevermind trying to figure out what the suspension height were originally. It really is about the height and rake you want or want to maintain. Any side view pictures and measurements of your car right now?

I'm pretty sure that T/A sits lower than it did, you did say those were old springs. Heh... no camera trickery will change that. And yes, i think the normal Challengers look a little low in the ass, especially when you have stock sized tires on there. Another reason why i dont like lowered Challengers.

Anyways, i was only using the factory T/A specs as something to go on, which considering what we've talked about might not be the best idea. My car measures 14" from axle centerline to wheel lip. The front sits about an inch lower, all due to different diameter tires (305/265-50/15 currently). The tire sizes will change, i plan on 17's, but the general diameters wont too much, nor will the rake. I dont have any good side pics ov it, only front and rear. Its immobile and parked in a bad spot unfortunately.

I did find a pretty close picture ov someone else's Challenger that sits more or less how i'd like mine to look, but when i tried to post it here i somehow lost the whole post, my computer crashed, there was a citywide blackout and a plane crashed into a school full ov handicapped children.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/22/10 05:35 PM

I've seen the test data from the hotchkis cars, i would like to find the same info for their max performance g series 70 challenger. does this info exist?

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/22/10 06:05 PM

Quote:

I've seen the test data from the hotchkis cars, i would like to find the same info for their max performance g series 70 challenger. does this info exist?

You mean the yellow Challenger T/A? I know they did a comparison with a new SRT. Maybe the info is in there. Article must be online somewhere.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/22/10 06:44 PM

yeah the 70 T/A thats the data i want to see, with tires and wheels that that advantage of the new suspension.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/22/10 06:49 PM

Quote:

Googled it...Took some searching.

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/challeng...challenger.html

E-Max..... .93 G's skidpad
SRT-8..... .84 G's skidpad

E-Max..... 67.6 mph slalom
SRT-8..... 68.8 mph slalom

E-Max..... 123 feet 60 mph braking
SRT-8..... 118 feet 60 mph braking

Here's another article from Edmunds with SRT8 test results that are slightly different. Slower slalom, little more skid pad.

Track Test Results
0-45 mph (sec.) 3.6
0-60 mph (sec.) 5.3
0-75 mph (sec.) 7.7
1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.6 @ 104.0
0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 5.0
Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 29
60-0 mph (ft.) 114
Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 67.6
Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.85
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/23/10 04:57 PM

Jacquot is legit, he is one of the best test editors around. When he worked the Ultimate Street Car Challenge, he drove ALL the cars for the skidpad test.

I cant be certain what he has in his own stable, but I think he had a 70 Charger at some point, cant confirm nor deny.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/23/10 05:41 PM

Quote:

Jacquot is legit, he is one of the best test editors around. When he worked the Ultimate Street Car Challenge, he drove ALL the cars for the skidpad test.

I cant be certain what he has in his own stable, but I think he had a 70 Charger at some point, cant confirm nor deny.

Allright. I knew you could clarify.

He just seemed to diss stuff like the hard shifting transmission and it is a Tremec; much easier shifting than a A-833. Julius got a ride in the Yellow T/A at Willow Spring from another non old car media guy that grinded the he## out the trans (not Jacquot). Some of media that drives this stuff is not real savvy.

Does Edmunds use the same slalom and skid pad for all thier test? The SRT-8 showed different slalom numbers, but close skidpad numbers. Variablity in cars I guess?
Posted By: Hotchkis

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/28/10 01:19 AM

wow, you guys are smart and resourceful!

Pale Roader, I'll just answer your big question...if you want to use stock leaf springs, you can still use all the rest of the Hotchkis parts, and set your ride height with the torsion bars.

Later, if you want to optimize the performance, you can always swap and lower the car.

Elana wouldn't let us put good tires on her car. She likes the stock look.

We have lots of photos on our facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/hotchkis1?ref=ts

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/28/10 01:27 AM

Hotchkis- PLEASE see about making a kit for 71B-Bodies

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/28/10 05:32 AM

Quote:

The only thing different about a 71/72 B-body kit from a E-body is the frame connectors and the rear sway bar.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/28/10 02:28 PM

I am thinking about getting the setup for my Challenger but I have b-body Dana in my car. So I would imagine the rear spring relocation brackets could not be used?

How does the rear bracket correct geometry?

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/28/10 04:19 PM

Quote:

I am thinking about getting the setup for my Challenger but I have b-body Dana in my car. So I would imagine the rear spring relocation brackets could not be used?

You are using offset hangers instead as oppossed to moveing the axle tube mounts?

Front spring eye height is different for anti squat characteristics.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/28/10 08:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The only thing different about a 71/72 B-body kit from a E-body is the frame connectors and the rear sway bar.

Everything else will work then? I'm planning on putting frame connectors on. Is there anyone that makes a front and rear sway bar kit?

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/28/10 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Everything else will work then? I'm planning on putting frame connectors on. Is there anyone that makes a front and rear sway bar kit?

The Hotchkis E-body front sway bar is the same as a 71-72 B-body sway bar.

There is a difference in width between the frame rails where the end link attach to the frame kick ups. I don't know how much that difference is.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/29/10 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are using offset hangers instead as oppossed to moveing the axle tube mounts?

I am using DrDiff offset hangers. If I moved the springs out they will interfere with my current wheel setup.
Was also thinking maybe I could use the Hotchkis front setup and for the rear use the XV or Street-lynx. Looking at the Street-lynx and it would be about $800 more than a Hotchkis rear suspension components.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/29/10 05:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am using DrDiff offset hangers. If I moved the springs out they will interfere with my current wheel setup.
Was also thinking maybe I could use the Hotchkis front setup and for the rear use the XV or Street-lynx. Looking at the Street-lynx and it would be about $800 more than a Hotchkis rear suspension components.

Just run the Hotchkis leafs with your current offset hangers. Pick the spring eye hole closest to the Hotchkis hanger or to your rear ride height liking.

Call Drew on their techline and confirm if the Hotchkis rear adjustable sway bar works with a Dana rear end.

The Hotchkis leafs have top spring to help prevent axle hopping under heavy braking. And two long bottom springs for anti windup.

This is an A-body setup pictured below.

Attached picture 6165153-Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm37.JPG
Posted By: dangina

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/29/10 07:15 PM

Quote:

+1

also hotchkis are you guys working on a 4 or 5 link setup for the rear? looking for more improvement over leaf springs but not to happy about some of the 4 link design concepts that are available now through other companies..

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/29/10 08:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

+1

also hotchkis are you guys working on a 4 or 5 link setup for the rear? looking for more improvement over leaf springs but not to happy about some of the 4 link design concepts that are available now through other companies..

So you've run your car with leaf springs made for handling at the track and you have found it lacking?

The Hotchkis Challenger at the Optima Challenge in Detroit was like 4th fast road course and 1st or 2nd autocross. Over like 50 cars. Most with fabricated front suspension and most with 4 links.

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/30/10 07:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

+1

So you've run your car with leaf springs made for handling at the track and you have found it lacking?

The Hotchkis Challenger at the Optima Challenge in Detroit was like 4th fast road course and 1st or 2nd autocross. Over like 50 cars. Most with fabricated front suspension and most with 4 links.

Thats great if u have a challenger - but they have nothing for the rear of a 71-72 roadrunner

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/30/10 09:19 AM

Quote:

Thats great if u have a challenger - but they have nothing for the rear of a 71-72 roadrunner

66-70 B-bodies and 71-72 B-bodies all have interchangable rear leaf springs. The 68-70 and 71-72 B-bodies are in the same range of rear weights.

So run the 68-70 Hotchkis B-body spring: http://www.hotchkis.net/mopar_b_body_geometry_corrected_sport_leaf_springs.html

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/30/10 09:33 AM

^
thanks for the info autoxcuda!!!

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/30/10 11:22 AM

Quote:

wow, you guys are smart and resourceful!

Pale Roader, I'll just answer your big question...if you want to use stock leaf springs, you can still use all the rest of the Hotchkis parts, and set your ride height with the torsion bars.

Later, if you want to optimize the performance, you can always swap and lower the car.

Elana wouldn't let us put good tires on her car. She likes the stock look.

We have lots of photos on our facebook page.

<a href="Facebook" target="_blank">http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/hotchkis1?ref=ts</a>

My car will sit a good 6" higher than yours, the shocks you use would have to be longer. And with THAT much height difference, would the sway bar attachments (they are engineered for a much lower car obviously) stretch far enough to mount on mine?

For instance, i have my car sitting right where i want it right now... as a roller (it doesn't run yet), and to achieve that stance i have a block ov wood jammed in between the car and the diff. I would actually like it another 1/2" higher, but the stock (6cyl) shocks are at their limit. And that is with solid rear suspension. Just to get it to sit exactly where i want it i'd have to disconnect the rear shocks. So, maybe your fronts might work, but i would need a taller shock for the rear, much taller. Is a B-body shock taller maybe? The factory T/A had special length shocks too i believe...???

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/30/10 11:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

B-body leafs have a 1" longer rear segment than E-body ones. They'd bolt up and work, but optimally for handling you dont want a rear hanger with a severe angle, one direction or the other.

Also, you would want to factor in the extra weight ov the bigger B-body (generally speaking at least 200 extra pounds). The 71-72's were the heaviest ov the lot. Most modified ones get even heavier with most Mopar guys going for all the fun options too...

Re: Hotchkis Suspension Kits? - 08/30/10 04:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

B-body leafs have a 1" longer rear segment than E-body ones. They'd bolt up and work, but optimally for handling you dont want a rear hanger with a severe angle, one direction or the other.

Also, you would want to factor in the extra weight ov the bigger B-body (generally speaking at least 200 extra pounds). The 71-72's were the heaviest ov the lot. Most modified ones get even heavier with most Mopar guys going for all the fun options too...

My bad when I looked at Mopar Performance XHD spring and other spring sources they combined the B and E leaf springs all together.

But Hotchkis makes/offers a seperate B-body spring.
© 2024 Moparts Forums