Moparts

Valve cover baffle alternative?

Posted By: topside

Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 06:52 PM

For kicks, I put an old set of M/T valve covers on my 1/2-ton pickup. Unfortunately they aren't baffled, and oil is making its way into the air cleaner.
I'm thinking that running a remote K&N breather with about a foot of hose will keep that from happening, as opposed to fabricating a baffle.
The other valve cover has the PCV valve, and I think moving that up out of the valve cover might be another quick fix.
Whaddya think?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 07:05 PM

I have an old set of finned edelbrock aluminum covers on my truck and to keep the oil from going out the K&N valve cover breather I built an extension out of steel tubing that raises the breather up about 6" off the top of the cover.

It looks sorta like a circletrack or trans-am setup....
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/images/88958602.jpg

I think you can buy pcv valves that have shields built around them that function like a baffle.

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 08:11 PM

Thanks, Neil, I'll look for that PCV valve.
I'd like to avoid welding on the VCs & repainting them.

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 08:38 PM

I didn't have to weld on my covers to make my setup work. All I did was weld a smaller diameter ring on the bottom of the pipe the same size as the breather hole in the rubber valve cover grommet and then weld another ring at the top for the k&n to slip into. I can take the steel extension pipe off and place the k&n breather into the valve cover opening if I needed to.

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 09:02 PM

Understood. I'm hoping to just use some hose from the factory metal elbow to the new breather, which will mount several inches higher than the valve cover.
For the PCV side, unless I can find the baffled PCV valve you mentioned, I'm thinking of another metal elbow and a short length of hose to connect to the existing PCV valve.
Posted By: dulcich

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 09:44 PM

Those valve covers have cast-in bosses as a provision to install baffles. You can make them out of sheetmetal in a few minutes if you know how to use tin snips and a drill. So why are you d-cking around with it?
-dulcich

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 10:21 PM

Because I didn't remember seeing any bosses inside them. I'll go pull one and see if it's gonna be that easy.
Posted By: 65Sat440

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 11:52 PM

You might want to consider using a Moroso type grommet/baffle Look here
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/15/10 11:59 PM

Those are grommets, not baffles!!
Posted By: 65Sat440

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/16/10 12:03 AM

Scroll down to the second image. Those are grommets and baffles, dude!

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/16/10 12:05 AM

Did you scroll down and look at the other types?
Posted By: Nastruck

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/16/10 01:23 AM

1980 Ford e150 with a 300cid inline 6cyl had a filler cap that had the PCV valve in it and it was filtered/baffled. I use one on my Dodge "Shelby" Dakota with the MP aluminim valve covers. Any parts store should have one. It's a good alternative to drilling or welding on them.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/16/10 02:53 AM

Quote:

Scroll down to the second image. Those are grommets and baffles, dude!

A-HA !!
Can't see 'em working on a Mopar (the brand "Moroso" should explain what they're meant for) - I doubt they'll clear the rocker shaft or rockers or springs.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Valve cover baffle alternative? - 08/16/10 03:23 AM

I used these.Summit Racing SUM-440332 - Summit Racing® Valve Cover Baffle Kits

Attached picture 6141799-sum-440332.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums