Moparts

BB heat block off

Posted By: DAMOPARS

BB heat block off - 08/13/10 08:48 PM

How can I block off the hoses going to the heater box? Or put a valve in one of the hoses (which one)
Big block ,,,, No A/C ,,,Thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 09:26 PM

What do you want to do , stop the flow because it's hot in the car of remove the heat path completely ?

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 09:31 PM

Too hot in the car, in the summer.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 09:50 PM

PLUGS in the water pump ...or caps on the tubes.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 09:58 PM

Quick and dirty way to do it is to loop a short section of heater hose on the water pump. Then you don't have to pull the nipples out to replace them with plugs.

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 10:02 PM

But my hoses are different sizes.
Posted By: 74-440Charger

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 10:10 PM

Use the larger of the two hoses and clamp it down, she will hold.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 11:00 PM

I simply installed a ball-valve up near the firewall, in the big (3/4" line) because that was the size of the valve I found.
Works like a charm. No tools required to turn heat on and off, but you do have to lift the hood of course.
Interior is noticably cooler on hot days!!!

Re: BB heat block off - 08/13/10 11:05 PM

Quote:

But my hoses are different sizes.

Get RUBBER caps to put over the pipes.... any good plumbing store has 'em !
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: BB heat block off - 08/14/10 06:10 AM

If you want to disable the heat but not remove it entirely, you could put in a valve on a heater hose so you can shut off coolant flow during the summer. Just in case you want to keep the heat around at the flick of a switch.

What I did with mine was my car has a valve for the heater hose that shuts off coolant flow when the heater controls are put in the strato-vent position. Vacuum switch didn't work anymore so I just ran the vacuum hose from the heater hose valve straight to the intake. Problem solved. If I wanted heat back I just unplugged the vacuum line and put a cap on.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: BB heat block off - 08/14/10 07:14 AM

Many cars came with a heater hose shut off valve. Just use one of those. My 1976 D200 truck had one mounted on the inner fender.

Re: BB heat block off - 08/14/10 04:15 PM

Thanks guys
I put a ball valve in and will see how it works.

Re: BB heat block off - 08/14/10 05:43 PM

OK ....BE SURE to put that valve IN the CORRECT side(the OUTLET side) of the water pump. IF you don't .... you can BLOW UP the heater core.

DON'T ask me how I know..
Posted By: jb500

Re: BB heat block off - 08/14/10 05:56 PM

Try a mini ball valve that you could install at the water pump to keep it out of sight.

Attached picture 6139314-mini-fp-mp.png
© 2024 Moparts Forums