Moparts

Your car's not correct!

Posted By: 1969RR

Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 05:11 PM

Hello everyone! First car show out with the car and I hear this! My question to you...My car, a 1970 Challenger RT, fairly early build. October, 1969. I do not have the wood grain panel on the doors, they are just all black. Should there be? I've seen cars both ways. Mine does have the ralley dash. Thanks! Jeff
Posted By: BradD

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 05:17 PM

No, that early did not have the woodgrain in the recess. Are there any holes for the insert?

Brad

Dorn Autocraft

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 05:36 PM

Hi Brad! The interior was changed before I bought the car, but I thought early build didn't have the inserts. I did buy 2 perfect inserts, but then did some research and didn't think they were to be there anyway! Thanks!! Jeff
Posted By: attaboy

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 05:38 PM

Hi,
Don't let it get you down. You'll hear a lot of "experts" at car shows. Some will think they have all knowledge concerning Mopar things. Take what they say with a grain of salt. Some may really know something that will help and some will be full of it. Investigate if you're not sure. Always remember; it's your car not theirs. ENJOY THE HOBBY NO MATTER WHAT.
attaboy
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 05:43 PM

Unless you've built this thing to go for GOLD, my response to that comment would be "f*** right off!"
Posted By: closer9

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 06:16 PM

Yeah, don't feel bad. I hear that a lot!
Posted By: Dr V

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 07:17 PM

Thats a big part of the car show scene. A whole bunch of experts out there that know a whole lot about nothing. Dont let it bug u. Better yet I love how everyone used to have a Hemi in their mopar at one point just like the one thats in mine. Sure buddy!! Wink Wink.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 07:59 PM

Quote:

Thats a big part of the car show scene. A whole bunch of experts out there that know a whole lot about nothing. Dont let it bug u. Better yet I love how everyone used to have a Hemi in their mopar at one point just like the one thats in mine. Sure buddy!! Wink Wink.

A few weeks ago, a guy and his wife came up to me at a campground and was looking at my 74 challenger that I had with us. He tells me he used to have some mopar with a 454 hemi in it. I just smiled and said that's cool. It's easier nowadays to just listen and am glad people take a interest in my old car.

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 08:42 PM

Thanks guys! Hey Challenger1, at this same car show, different guy, told me the exact same thing "454 Hemi" I knew this one was nuts. I wasn't too sure about the wood grain insert tho. This is my first E body. Have had B bodies up until now! Mine has the cowl "black-out" also. I wasn't sure about when this was done also. Take care! Jeff
Posted By: burdar

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 08:53 PM

Quote:

Mine has the cowl "black-out" also. I wasn't sure about when this was done also.

1970 only
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 09:46 PM

can you post a pic of your 70 with the cowl black out?

i wouldnt care if it correct or not...at least your in a mopar and not in a ferd or chebby

the 454Hemi is a chebby thing

he ment to say..i had a 454 but could not afford a Hemi

there is a reason a chebby is cheap you know...

Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/27/10 10:17 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone! First car show out with the car and I hear this! My question to you...My car, a 1970 Challenger RT, fairly early build. October, 1969. I do not have the wood grain panel on the doors, they are just all black. Should there be? I've seen cars both ways. Mine does have the ralley dash. Thanks! Jeff

Well, if there is one thing I have learned while building my car is YOU have to be satisfied with what you have and no one else. My car is nothing special but I constantly hear what I should have done, or what they would do or that won't work and the funny thing is that some of these so called experts don't even own an older Mopar or have never had one that guy you were talking to probably came to the show in a K car.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 12:16 AM

I am in thhe hobby for fun.I like thing to look nice and not after a 100 point show car.
I am doing a C body so nobody really knows much about them or seem to care..
People like it for what it is--not it should be or could be.That is gratification in itself.

I had a super low miles 71 Duster.I got scrutinized everytime I showed it."When you pulling out the slant six and put in a 340??"
It had 28,900 miles on it and I had to change the tires,plug wires,heater core,radiator and muffler.
I got crap for getting rid of the original parts that were NFG.
I needed a reliable car,not a "survivor"
After three years of persistent offers,I sold the car to a guy who did a V8 4 speed swap.
I had a 70 Challenger R/T 383/727.
I was changing the thermostat in the driveway when a guy pulled up with his 16 year old son and whipped out his cheque book.He was arrogant and thought he knew everything about my car.To scare him off,I fibbed that that the 383 kept overheating and may need headgaskets.
Much happier with a C body.Instead of a know-it-all tell me about my car,I am educating others who are intrigued by my car.
Posted By: Kowal

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 12:33 AM

Once I had a Challenger that I had at a show. I went to get something to eat, came back and there is a guy standing over my engine bay. In his hand he has the caps from my Mopar reproduction battery. He says "you know, the vent holes in these caps are wrong, you should drill four concentric holes around the center hole to have these be more accurate." My only comment that I could come up with as my mouth hung wide open..."who are you and why are you taking my car apart?"
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 12:50 AM

I don't go to shows. Too many experts who don't even own a car in the show. My last 69 Road Runner came with a 383 auto. I swapped it out for 440+6 4 speed. Used to have the guys all the time tell me thats not a six barrel car. My reply was allways looks like 3 carbs to me. I'm not that big on all the numbers matching stuff as long as my reg matches my vin. A cool car is a cool car. My Road Runner was fun to crack out sideways and rip the tires off. A real A12 is worth to much to really beat and have fun with. I love em but for now i'd rather have a car thats fun to drive the way it was meant to drive.

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 01:09 AM

Hey Guys! My car is definitely not a 100 point show car, but I am pretty meticulous when it comes to a restoration! I've done Super Chevy winners, Good Guy winners etc, but I'm still learning when it comes to E Body correctness. I'm not sure if the guy was trying to put my car down or not. He said he just wanted to "point out that you car should have wood grain". I wasn't sure what to say! I knew I'd find out the answer on Moparts! I've sure learned alot and appreciate it! I'm going to try and post a couple of pix. So here goes! Take care! Jeff

Attached picture 6108742-IMG_4773(Medium).JPG

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 01:10 AM

Here is an A12 Runner Clone I did. I always heard that it "aint a real one"! Oh well!!

Attached picture 6108744-IMG_3754(Medium).JPG

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 01:16 AM

Here is after restoration. Wiper motor by Jules, BTW! Jeff

Attached picture 6108760-CopyofIMG_5760(Medium).JPG
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 01:40 AM

Ignore the "self proclaimed experts", if you're happy with the car that's all that matters.

Here are some pics of the cowl blackout on T/A Challenger that hadn't been touch prior to then.
I took the pics to document the blackout on a T/A.

Link to all the pics.
http://s471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/SNK-EYZ/T%20A%20%20Challenger%20Documentation/
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 02:40 AM

I'm curious to see what these non-woodgrain doors look like. I can't recall ever seeing any! Does it have a standard or rallye dash?
Posted By: GoManGo70Bee

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 03:05 AM

Yeah, I had a similar experance when I first took a car to a show. I was new, and I had just bought my Bee. Its a rough car but mostly origonal. A guy from a "expert" car club (the Mopar Knights) comes up to me, looks at my car says only one thing to me, "Your aircleaner is the wrong shade of orange, It should be Hemi Orange". Then walks away. No, hi, neat car anything. Not knowing I almost stripped it and repainted it. Luckly I didnt. Its got the origonal paint and sticker on it. That kinda turned me off to shows for awhile.......
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 03:06 AM

It is funny how some people "know it all" On my 67gtx I have a very different interior then all the other 67's I have seen. Now mind you, my car is by no means stock, but the interior has been the same since the early 90's.I have been told "is that a satellite interior?" NO I guess its not.. My door panels, seat package tray etc... all match and are dated I believe june 66.But nobody knows what they are from, lol.. Kevin

Attached picture 6109092-DSCF0001.JPG
Posted By: broncobra

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 03:23 AM

You have a nice looking car, but you really need to get that exhaust leak fixed. lol.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 03:33 AM

Quote:

I'm curious to see what these non-woodgrain doors look like. I can't recall ever seeing any! Does it have a standard or rallye dash?

early '70 model year non-SE door panels all looked like these (without the speaker ) .....

Attached picture 6109137-early70door.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 03:57 AM

Sleddinfool, '67 GTX & Satellite used the same interior; in '68-'70 Sport Satellite & GTX same deal.
When I was still subjecting my cars to car shows, I used to ask those "experts" where their car was.
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 04:41 AM

Most of the time I get that group of older guys walk up to me and say what kind of motor is that and I tell them my standard answer its a Black and Decker Aquarium pump motor ( Love the movie Hot Rod)they stand there and stare at me for a second and I say its a 383/496....Matt
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 05:33 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I had a similar experance when I first took a car to a show. I was new, and I had just bought my Bee. Its a rough car but mostly origonal. A guy from a "expert" car club (the Mopar Knights) comes up to me, looks at my car says only one thing to me, "Your aircleaner is the wrong shade of orange, It should be Hemi Orange". Then walks away. No, hi, neat car anything. Not knowing I almost stripped it and repainted it. Luckly I didnt. Its got the origonal paint and sticker on it. That kinda turned me off to shows for awhile.......

Don't feel bad..the people in that club I met were idiots to me too..

When I first brought my Aussie Charger to that Main St. car show (a few weeks after first importing it back in '98) a bunch of them grouped around it, and started telling me what was wrong with it

I just asked them how many of them they had EVER seen a Charger before, and how they knew what a Hemi-6 even looked like..they just grumbled and walked away.

From then on, I only heard bad stuff about them from everyone else I came across...
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 05:34 AM

There are two sides to this arguement.
Some will say that YOU brought your car to the show to be judged and that you should be prepared to take the compliments with the criticism.
Others will say that "Its YOUR car, build it how you want."
I am of the belief that both arguements have some merit. I have a 70 Charger that has factory stuff mixed with some modern wheels. I like the look, and I am rarely surprised when I hear someone say ..."Nice car, but it would look better with STOCK rally wheels." Thats THEIR opinion. My response depends on my mood at the time. Most often, I tell them that they can buy a Charger and build it their way, then I will tell them how I would have built it. They usually just walk away.
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 06:50 AM

Quote:

Hi Brad! The interior was changed before I bought the car, but I thought early build didn't have the inserts. I did buy 2 perfect inserts, but then did some research and didn't think they were to be there anyway! Thanks!! Jeff

As Dan mentioned...

PS> If you're looking to sell the inserts you bought send me an email. )KGB68@aol.com)

Attached picture 6109289-door_panels.jpg
Posted By: Mapandjlp

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 02:54 PM

We've all had our share of car show "experts". First local car show of the year, I pulled in, got out, and was getting my chairs from the trunk.

Now, my car is a '70 Challenger, G-code car, original 318 still under the hood but it's dressed up like an R/T. PLUS, it's got 340 emblems on the hood.

So, this guy walks up, looks at the VIN, and walks away shaking his head and mumbling something. Didn't say anything to me, no hello, nothing. I wanted to tell him that if he needed to look at the VIN to tell it wasn't an original R/T (no 340 R/T's in '70) then he's the idiot. But, I just let it slide...as always.

Bottom line, if you like your car, that's all that matters. Most folks are appreciative of the fact that these cars have avoided the crusher for 40+ years.

M
Posted By: repad

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 04:01 PM

Way too many "experts" at the shows, I've often thought about making some "Originality Expert" stickers and handing them out. Also, "My friend had one of those... only his was a Hemi"
Posted By: JOES4FORTY

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 04:41 PM

I had Galen Govier say that the rear quarter reflector housing should be painted to match the color of the tail stripe. I have a first day of production car and mine is NOT painted. I think they look better painted to match the stripe, but some of these so called experts think it's all or nothing in their thinking.

Attached picture 6109842-LowerRQtr.JPG
Posted By: kdhull

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 05:18 PM

The Torque wrench theory.
Individuality, Websters Dictionary : total character peculiar to and distinguishing
An individual from others.
Just my opinion!
This is what we did in the 50’s 60’ etc. with our rides. My new 69 RR fresh off showroom floor 1st stop Firestone for some Keystones and tires.
Everybody personalized their rides, to me that’s what it’s all about. I don’t want one like yours. I want you to look and mine and say he did something different. Nice ride.
My 66 Charger I’ve had 35 yrs. Has Been in 4 different configurations basic stock, mild build, Pro hot rod to now street strip car.We have a car show every Mon. here in Ga. At Summit Racing. Usually around 200-300 cars. Show is themed to different makes etc. but everyone can show up and win prizes. Lots of fun lots of experts.
So, what I do is carry a 3 foot Snap-on torque wrench in the trunk with a huge 1 ¼
Socket attached. Person walks up starts chatting nice person we talk brag on each others stuff make a new friend and continue on. Butthead walks up starts downing my stuff
I ask you had your stuff torqued lately. Huh! I go get torque wrench and ask, you want your head TORQUED!
Almost had to use it this past week. My current setup is a Max Wedge 2x4 with
(Thunder rolls lightning flashes OMG) dual NOS. you would have thought I was the devil to this 1 guy.(real cool dude about 25 he didn’t even know what a Maxie was.
He thought it was a Hemi. Didn’t even own a hot rod looking to buy he said.)
Bottom line enjoy the sport, look if you don’t like it keep your mouth shut.
There are many thousands of us out here that are always glad to help. Keep the sport alive
We all know how much time money etc our rides eat up.
With all the things that go on don’t let some ### ruin it for you.
Just my opinion because this seems to come up all the time.
Kermit with the Maxie and NOS
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 05:59 PM

None of mine are going to get that kind of response, but I'd ask the guy if he was handing out signed copies...
"of what?"
Of your book detailing all the exact factory build details....
Posted By: rapom

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 06:26 PM

I made sure I don't get those kind of questions with my 68 charger. Painless wiring kit, HEI distributer, toyota internally regulated alt. Aftermarket classic air A/C, Aluminium radiator, 69 charger front fenders, All black engine compartment with green exterior, All black grill. 69 charger bumper gaurds. This list goes on....
Posted By: IronWolf

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 06:36 PM

I drive my car around town 4-5 times a week. I'm not seeking attention, but I get a lot of smiles and pleasant small talk without the guff I've encountered at Mopar car shows...

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em for what they are.
Posted By: dragracedr

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/28/10 11:42 PM

On a similar note, I took my '74 satellite to a show back in '89. This was a slant six stripper and I was collecting parts to put in a 400 with an 8 3/4 upgrade. Anyway, I listed it as a "work in progress". Some dipweed asks me " Ooh, how many of these did they produce?" Give me a break.
Posted By: 71runnerm51

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 12:37 AM

I've heard a million times!!!!! they didn't put sunroof's in those cars

Attached picture 6110525-71sunroof.jpg
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 06:02 AM

Do you think the Chevy and Ford guys have these same problems?
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 11:35 AM

Quote:

Yes they do. If you think the mopars guys are bad, the corvette crowd puts them to shame.
Posted By: mikepar

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 11:46 AM

my 66 dart conv.is so incorrect...but for what it is it looks good and I like it
Posted By: maundmotorworks

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 11:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes they do. If you think the mopars guys are bad, the corvette crowd puts them to shame.

The Vette guys are the worst of the worst by far! I found out in the past what they were like and I typically ignore any part of a conversation with any of them now. Know how many Vette guys I've thrown out of my shop over the years? All of them...
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 01:35 PM

Anyone that gets up tight about different interior pieces, spark plug wire holders on valve covers, painted versus non-painted trim rings, exact color specifications, etc has multiple issues with which to contend.

1) They've likely never worked in a large scale manufacturing environment. While quality is WAY up from the 60s and 70s, cars still roll off the assembly line with mismatched interior parts.

2) Things like poka-yoke were not yet used in American factories. Assemblers were often left to their own devices. Ergonomic assembly processes weren't used yet either. So an assembler may have changed the way they did something from time to time just because their arm or leg got tired. Things varied from person to person as well. So this idea that they were all built the same is a pipe dream.

3) Anyone that thinks they can tell you exactly how every car that came off the assembly line was made has a big ego and a narrow view of reality. Even with all of our capabilities today mistakes are still made. There should be no mistakes if we have perfect control of the processes. Without perfect control, no one can be confident.

4) Mopar = Made of Parts Assembled Randomly. When one bin of parts ran out the assembler got another bin. Those parts may have been from another supplier who did things somewhat differently. If the assembler couldn't find the correct part he may have used an incorrect one or left it off depending.

I love my Mopars but these experts need to get their heads out of the sand.

If I ever own an old Corvette I think I'll install a 2.5L Turbo from an 80s Dodge and a Ford 9" just to watch the experts faces.
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 03:35 PM

"Your car's not correct!"

"Yes I know, that’s why I entered it in the 'remedial' class."

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 07:58 PM

Yes, got it from them too. I've done numerous BowTies too. I did a 1969 Z28, perfect, except for I had a 350 instead of a 302. The 302 has DZ on the ID pad. Bunch of guys leaned over the fender to see if there was the DZ! Didn't care if they scratched the fender as long as she had the DZ! I do ignore the remarks etc, But, I wasn't sure about the woodgrain. Thanks!! Jeff
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 08:41 PM

The looks and comments I get when the critics, oops, I mean experts look at my fendertag is priceless. I built it my way, for me and no one else.

Posted By: donbarnes

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 08:54 PM

I've been waiting for 4 years for someone to notice the bullett mirrors on mine are actually GM- Camaro/Monte/Olds, etc... -easy to find, easy to get repro parts for...apparently there aren't enough Mopars in my area for there to be many of the 'experts'...Of course, it's also funny when they say they had one just like mine- And mine is a one-off combination of Duster and Dart options that never actually existed
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/29/10 11:44 PM

Quote:

The looks and comments I get when the critics, oops, I mean experts look at my fendertag is priceless. I built it my way, for me and no one else.

That's great! A none of none!
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/30/10 05:38 AM

A car show...

Ahh yes...a large colllection of DOUCHEBAGS that will tell you what's not correct even though they did not even restore thier own car

Those are the same types that let the car sit and collect dust. You know, it makes that long journey off and on the trailer. IMO, a car that is not driven might as well be a useless paperweight
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/30/10 03:56 PM

I think a lot of this happens mostly to A-B-E musclecar guys. That segment of the hobby has always had an undertow toward reproducing parts, documenting survivor cars, determining paint dabs, what type of windshield washer fluid was used in which month of the year, etc.

However, take a C-body (or other oddball car) to a show and several things happen:
1. The jerky 'experts' bypass your car completely.

2. The ‘researchers’ who are looking for specific details of your car, to assist their own restoration, bypass your car completely.

3.The people that *do* stop to talk remember the car they learned to drive in, maybe the car their parents had, or maybe they were those parents from years ago. Then they talk about life, not nitpicky car details. You’ll experience more smiles. The kind of conversation where you later think ‘gee, I talked to that guy for 15min but forgot to even ask his name.’
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/30/10 04:39 PM

Ditto with everything everyone's said.. I've gotten the "That's not a real Daytona".. I blow them off or just ask them to get back to me and point out what's "not correct". I either never see them again or have a field day explaining the errs in their thinking.....

Then, I go back to my cold drink and chair...
Posted By: gtx-guy

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/31/10 01:29 AM

Jeff

Don't let these so called experts get you down. I bought a very late production 1970 challenger r/t brand new, and it did not have the woodgrain inserts in the door. I bought this car new in sept. 1970.

Tom
Posted By: 474218

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/31/10 03:08 AM

Quote:

It happens right here on Morparts. Several times I have answered questions and included a picture taken of my 63K mile RR, to show what it should look like. Only to have some so-called expert say that can't be right, because they know more about my car than I do.
Posted By: rickinpc

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/31/10 04:10 AM

Your car could have come without the wood grain inserts or it could have come with them. If you don't have holes in the panels, yours came without them.

As for the "experts", ignore them. I have a friend in Dallas that used to say, "There is an ass for every seat." It is your car, the only thing that matters is that you like it.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/31/10 11:18 AM

I just nod and smile at them.

My car built the way I want, including making a great deal of it stock looking as possible.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/31/10 07:15 PM

Last time it happened to me I responded by saying, "yeah my car is a real piece of crap compared to others here." Then I looked right at his girlfriend and said "Good thing I have a huge c*** to compensate for it."

Seems to shut em up pretty quick.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Your car's not correct! - 07/31/10 11:44 PM

I know how you feel...Ya know how many people at car shows used to have a '57 chevy just like mine ( pictured )well the fins are similar anyway

Attached picture 6115194-STP60214.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums