Moparts

Freeze Plugs - how do you install them?

Posted By: mity225

Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 11:04 AM

I have a 318 out of an 86 pickup that I'm trying to do a low buck replacement into another pickup with. A couple of freezeplugs from the block were rusty/leaking while in the 86. Never could get to them so just kept adding water.

Figure that while it's on the stand, I could knock them out and replace easily.

Do you just use a large socket that fits the plug and knock the new one in? Do you use any sealer while reinstalling?

Any opinions would be great, thanks!

mity225@mchsi.com
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 11:18 AM

Use a punch and turn the old on side ways and pop out and the like you said use a large socket and make sure to drive in straight. Make sure that the hole is clean and use some permatex or Indian Head on the edges of the cup. I also like using the the deep core plugs rather than the ones with thin shoulders.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 11:18 AM

Find a socket & extension that is a close fit on the inside diameter of the freeze plug and tap it in. I highly recomend the deep plugs, they have a longer lead and are a lot easier to seat. Just did one with the engine in the car...Getting them out is messy, but just don't damage the cast iron that holds them in. Also, using some sealing goo is cheap insurence not to have any leaks.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 11:22 AM

Posted By: wingman

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 12:57 PM

Yep and change them all while you have the motor out--chances they are all getting thin by now.

Also, brass is nice and will last longer, but they cost a little more.
Posted By: charger440sixpak

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 02:12 PM

Quote:

Getting them out is messy, but just don't damage the cast iron that holds them in.

I just drill a small hole in the center of them, turn in a screw that's a couple inches long and then use pry bar to pull them out. If the screw pulls thru and the plug doesn't come out, just step up to a bigger screw.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 02:14 PM

I always replace mine with brass and then use J-B Weld. I don't intend to ever have to worry about them again. On a race block I've been known to tap em with a pipe thread and screw in pipe plugs.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 02:15 PM

what they said, The thick "Dorman" brand steel ones at your parts house not the thin "Pioneer" ones & Permatex #1 in the toothpaste like tube (thick & viscous). Alot of people use brass w no probs but I feel steel grips tighter. some plugs are close to the cyl wall so be carefull on which ones you tap sideways on removal (if it stops dont force it).
Posted By: cptn60

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 02:41 PM

And don't forget there are a couple in the rear china wall(bellhousing face).
Posted By: mity225

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 06:48 PM

Great replies. I like skewering them with a screw and prying them out.

I'll have to use the sealer as extra insurance.

Thanks!

JK
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Freeze Plugs - how do you install them? - 07/23/10 08:04 PM

I'd definately clean the hole first. Perhaps a properly sized wire wheel or flap wheel would work great but even some paper by hand would work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums