Moparts

Ignition switch wiring on 66 coronet

Posted By: xpsyclonex2002

Ignition switch wiring on 66 coronet - 07/22/10 03:51 PM

Can I get someone to confirm for me that the RED wire in the switch is the constant Hot off the battery, the PINK wire is the "on" position, and the YELLOW is the "start" position? This would be for a 66 coronet. I have the wiring diagram but am not 100% sure I am interpreting it righ
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Ignition switch wiring on 66 coronet - 07/22/10 05:17 PM

Quote:

Can I get someone to confirm for me that the RED wire in the switch is the constant Hot off the battery, the PINK wire is the "on" position, and the YELLOW is the "start" position?

all correct ex I dont see a pink in the wiring diagram for a 66 coronet in my "glenns" general manual. EDIT checked my 65 Dodge factory shop manual which includes coronet and also no pink
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Ignition switch wiring on 66 coronet - 07/22/10 05:43 PM

Pink is cig lighter and dome lights.

Yellow is the crank signal wire to the starter relay.

For ignition in the run position you would use the dark blue with the tracer.

For ignition during cranking you would use the brown wire.

If you are bypassing the resistor, as in using MSD you would splice the blue with the tracer and the brown wire together and hook this up to the MSD's small red signal wire.
Posted By: xpsyclonex2002

Re: Ignition switch wiring on 66 coronet - 07/23/10 01:23 AM

Yep. I mis-read my diagram. The pink wire I am refering to should have been BROWN?
I am actually installing a 5.7 hemi in my 66. I got the wiring harness from Street and Performance. Under the hood is easy. The connectors only fit in thier right spot, but under the dash is a mess. I am not electrically inclined so stuff that should be easy... isn't. You refered to a "tracer" earlier. I see on the diagram the colors sometimes are followed by the letters TR. What exactly is a "tracer" for? How can you tell which one is the tracer if they are the same color?
Posted By: moparboy66

Re: Ignition switch wiring on 66 coronet - 07/23/10 01:30 AM

The "tracer" is an alternate color stripe on the solid wire color, usually white or black, but can be any contrasting color.
© 2024 Moparts Forums