Moparts

In car cam swap?

Posted By: 383BeepBeep

In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 12:35 AM

Is it possible to do an in car cam swap on a 383 69 roadrunner? What does it entail? Thanks
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 12:55 AM

Sure! Drain all coolant, remove radiator (and condenser, if AC car) remove front water pump cover, timing chain cover. Will have to remove a couple oil bolts that attach to the cover. Remove intake and valley pan gasket. Remove valve covers, remove rocker assy's, pull push rods out. Pull all 16 lifters out. Pull distributor and oil pump drive gear. If this is your first one, line up the timing marks before you remove chain, helps in re-installation. Carefully pull out old cam. I use some long bolts in the front of the camshaft as leverage. Installation is straight forward. Use plenty of assembly lube! Hopefully this helps! Take care! Jeff
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 12:58 AM

Very doable. The only real bad things about doing it are having to lean over the fender for everything and if you good paint on the engine you chew up the paint on your nicely painted bolts.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 01:00 AM

i don't know about 69 road runners. but when i do a cam change on the hemi in my 72 road runner i have to remove the grill or i can't get the cam all of the way out of the block.
Posted By: 383BeepBeep

Re: In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 02:15 AM

Thanks. I have done plenty out of car just never in car cam swaps. I have a feeling the grill is coming off. More or less trying to prepare myself(and girlfriend). Thanks again.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 02:29 AM

I did one in my 74 Dart, radiator and grill were out. Other than having to work around the fenders and core support, no problems.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 02:49 AM

Replaced the cam on my 68 RR and did not remove the grill.

Mark
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: In car cam swap? - 07/19/10 07:37 PM

Walk in the park ,have a air wrench for crank bolt or use a breaker bar and the starter. mark your lifters to old cam
© 2024 Moparts Forums