Moparts

Replacing steering box

Posted By: Fishmarket

Replacing steering box - 07/18/10 02:39 PM

I'm swapping out my tired power steering box for a new steer and gear unit in my 1971 RR. It is a 383 ac car with manifolds and power brakes. What's the easiest way to make the swap? Manifolds off? Can I manipulate it out the bottom?
Thanks!
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Replacing steering box - 07/19/10 05:21 AM

Pulling the left manifold will help. Remove the starter too. You may need to lift the motor by removing the through bolt on the left side and raising it up a few inches. V8 cars are always a pisser. The slant six cars are a breeze though!
Posted By: HogRidinFool

Re: Replacing steering box - 07/19/10 07:33 PM

Just did mine on a 70 Charger. I pulled the mainifold, battery & tray, tie rod end and dropped the steering column. It's good to have a helper but you can do it by yourself. It'll take you some time but it's not rocket science. ( I can say that now becuase I alsked the same question you did and got great advice from the folks here )
Posted By: Moparmedic440

Re: Replacing steering box - 07/19/10 09:25 PM

Just replaced he manual gear box in my 72 RR with a Flaming River box , just took off the drivers wheel, knocked off the pitman arm and outer tierod end so it would swing back and out of the way pulled the steering colum back a few inches and removed the 3 bolts and it was pretty easy to bring it out the bottom. No need to take off your exhaust manifolds.
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Replacing steering box - 07/19/10 11:16 PM

can you remove it from an ebody 440 with headers without unbolting the header/lifting the motor?
© 2024 Moparts Forums