Moparts

What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels

Posted By: KD800X

What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/28/10 08:14 PM

I'm working on a 65 Plymouth Belvedere 1. What guage of steel should I use for patch work for the Rockers, inner cowl, and rear window lower corners and rails?

Thanks

Kevin
Posted By: hemibeep

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/28/10 09:38 PM

I think the sheetmetal seemed to be about 17 guage, even though i can only find 16 and 18 guage. 16 too thick and 18 too thin.
Posted By: dirt

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/29/10 01:15 AM

i use 18 ga.

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/29/10 03:46 AM

Ok, thanks! I'll try to find 17ga, if I can't find it then I will have to go with 18 which should be fine.

Any special hardness of metal I should use? I don't want it too soft that it won't hold up but I don't want it so hard that it's not ply able.
Thanks
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/29/10 04:01 AM

New replacement panels you can purchase for example from Dantes are 18 guage.

I would go with the 18.
Posted By: dirt

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/29/10 02:14 PM

most of the 18ga you find will be cold rolled and that will work fine.i use it all the time , sometimes i use 20 ga depending on what part it is for and how much strength it needs to have. i used 18ga to make a T bucket style body so it would be fine for patch panels. you can shape it a lot before it cracks.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/29/10 07:48 PM

I'm gonna buck the trend here and for some places suggest 16 or 14.

On a cowl, at the corners of the glass, or any area that has lots of compound curves, the extra thickness allows more metal to weld to, allows more grinding to get proper shape/profile, etc.

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/30/10 02:45 AM

Thanks for all the insight guys, you've been a big help.

18ga seems more than sufficient especially if the floor plans are 18ga. But 16ga is food for thought, you make a good point as far as more material to work with. I can tig so welding isn't a problem, I just don't want any cracks 2 years after I get it painted.
Is 16ga a lot harder to work with as far as forming corners?

Thanks again guys.

Kevin
Posted By: goldmember

Re: What Guage of Steel to use for patch panels - 06/30/10 02:59 AM

Just measure the piece your cutting out and replace it with the same gauge. Pretty simple IMO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums