Moparts

0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversion

Posted By: T/A CARe

0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversion - 06/20/10 01:53 PM

I have the Mopar electronic ignition conversion with orange ECU but don't know if it calls for a 1/2 ohm or 3 ohm coil. Anybody know for sure?
Thanks!
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversion - 06/20/10 04:07 PM

do you mean the ballast resistor or the coil?.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversion - 06/20/10 06:00 PM

Be certain to carry a spare ECU if you are running an orange box. Really need a spare for any ECU for that matter.
Posted By: T/A CARe

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversion - 06/20/10 07:21 PM

Quote:

do you mean the ballast resistor or the coil?.

The coil, or ultimately what the system calls for. The coil's resistance may be determined by the ballast resistor...
Posted By: Todd

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversi - 06/20/10 10:46 PM

Why can't you run a coil that doesn't need a resistor.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversi - 06/21/10 04:42 AM

Quote:

Why can't you run a coil that doesn't need a resistor.

Not a direct answer but a particular ECU can only switch so much primary current which as you know is a combo of the coil pri + the ballast resistances. A 1.25 ohm ballast is supplied w the MP orange and chronme boxes and a .25 ohm ballast w the gold race box. Not sure what ohm coils are recommended
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversi - 06/21/10 05:51 AM

Is the orange box really that much of a turd?
I have read repeatedly that its reliability isn't good. I had a new one that failed early, but then again, I have had a few others that did too. Some factory originals I have had STILL work.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversi - 06/21/10 10:24 AM

I believe the orange box and 1.25 ohm res is set up for stk ohms coils.Whatever that is I dont know.MSD whats you to use the mopar 1.25 and the msd .08 with the blaster.
Posted By: racincuda

Re: 0.5 or 3 ohm coil for Mopar Electronic Ign conversi - 06/21/10 11:46 AM

I have found that the Standard Motors LX101 to be a very reliable ecu and minimum of 1 ohm resistor was recomended for street use. i have found these easy to find , just check resistance with your meter, again I use the Standard Motors piece.
© 2024 Moparts Forums