Moparts

Z-Bar Length?

Posted By: RM21N0A

Z-Bar Length? - 06/16/10 01:34 PM

Does anyone know the correct length of the Z-bar for both an A-body and B-Body?

Or else could you point me to where I could find out?

They wouldn't be the same length, would they?

Thanks.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/16/10 02:16 PM

www.brewersperformance.com

Give them a call
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/16/10 03:24 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know the correct length of the Z-bar for both an A-body and B-Body?

Or else could you point me to where I could find out?

They wouldn't be the same length, would they?

Thanks.

Need more info to answer your questions. They are not the same length.
Year / Model / Engine size
Dan

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/16/10 04:23 PM

Thanks for the fast reply.

1970 Road Runner, 383.

Just installed new ball studs and bushings last weekend, but seems like the Z-bar length is not long enough for the space between the ball studs.

The Z-bar barely covers the right ball.

This causes the clutch linkage rod to be at an angle between the Z-bar and the throwout bearing fork.

Does that make sense?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/16/10 05:23 PM

Tube length should be 9" long with the bent arm welded approx 7 5/8" from the frame end. What bellhousing are you using and did you buy a new adjuster rod? Sounds like you have the wrong rod.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/16/10 05:25 PM

70 b body big block = 9 1/8".....

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/16/10 05:51 PM

Thanks for the replies - I'll check the measurements as soon as I get home.

Quote:

What bellhousing are you using and did you buy a new adjuster rod?

1. Bellhousing - on the car when I bought it 6 years ago. To answer your question, would I look for a casting number on it? Or take some measurements??

2. Adjuster rod - I did buy a new clutch linkage rod, but I still have the previous one, and they are the exact same. I had a post last week with a picture of the new one, along with the Z-bar bushings and ball studs.
I used all of the new parts, just kept the old Z-bar.

Other Z-Bar Post

Also, I explained in the other post that the old Z-bar never did sit right, due to the bent frame (where the U-slot is) that the left ball stud fits into.

I thought that after I straightened that out, it would sit right but I still have a bit of an angle between the Z-bar and the throwout bearing fork.

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/30/10 12:12 PM

I need some opinions - is the clutch adjustment rod at too much of an angle in this picture?

I measured my Z-bar - it's about 9 1/16".

I was just hoping that after I installed the new nylon bushings on the 2 ball studs that the adjuster rod would be straight between the Z-bar and the pivot fork.

Attached picture 6061262-100_3704.jpg

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/30/10 12:13 PM

This is how it looks from the top - left side showing.

Attached picture 6061264-100_3714.jpg
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 06/30/10 05:49 PM

Did you check the studs for proper placement?

Attached picture 6061678-Z-BarStubs.jpg
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 07/04/10 08:52 PM

Pictures of the different z-bars.

Attached picture 6068722-MoparClutchTorqueShafts.jpg

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 07/07/10 12:35 PM

Whoa. Musta dozed off there for a few minutes/days…

Thanks for the picture of the different Z-bars.

Looks like I have the correct one – the bottom one in the pic.

Also, yes – I triple-checked that I have the right pivot ball studs, and the long one is installed on the bell housing, short one on the left side.

I figger that if the clutch linkage rod is NOT supposed to be at an angle like in my picture above, then either:

1. The clutch pivot fork is a little short, or

2. I should have a different bell housing – one that would have the pivot ball mounting boss a half-inch or so further inboard. But then the ball would barely be inserted into the Z-bar.

Or, maybe everything is correct and the rod is supposed to be at an angle.

Here's another picture, showing how far the right side ball stud is inserted into the Z-bar, and to me it looks about right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Attached picture 6073106-100_3700.jpg
Posted By: Publicbottle

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 12/21/11 03:31 AM

Diggin one outta the past..............just wondering if there was a fix for this? My fork adjust threaded rod is at a bit of an angle as well....is this ok or should it be more straight?
thanks!!

Attached picture 6976821-Calgary-20111220-00482.jpg
Posted By: Publicbottle

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 12/21/11 06:14 AM

here is a better pic...........

Attached picture 6977079-rsz_imgp0266.jpg
Posted By: Evil Monkey

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 12/21/11 12:58 PM

Is it possible that you've got the wrong fork? I've only worked with small block 4 speed setups, but I have a box full of spare parts and there's at least two different lengths of forks in there.

Re: Z-Bar Length? - 12/21/11 01:35 PM

Publicbottle - I should have posted how I fixed it. Can't believe it's been a year and a half.

A couple of days after my last post (July 2010) I went to the Carlisle Chrysler show/swap meet and walked up to the Brewer's Performance booth.

I showed Dan Brewer the adjustment rod I was using and started to explain the problem, but he saw right away that I had the wrong rod.

He put the correct rod on the counter and it had an angle (about 15-20 degrees) right after the end that connects to the Z-bar. Problem solved.

I don't think that will help you though - it looks to me from your pictures that the angle you are dealing with is more like 30 degrees. Wish I had some suggestions for you, but maybe Evil Monkey has the solution with the length of the fork. Also, maybe Dan will see this post, or you could give them a call.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

Thanks again, Dan!

P.S. - Publicbottle - I like that avatar. I'm a T. Rex fan from way back.

© 2024 Moparts Forums