Moparts

help,dropped bolt

Posted By: barryv

help,dropped bolt - 05/22/10 09:28 PM

hi, i was installing a choke block off when one of the bolts fell in the intake. it appears to have fallen into the exhaust port. i took manifold off and could not feel or see it. i tried rigging up a vacum to suck it out ,but that didnt work. any suggestions. can i still run engine and would it go into ehhaust system or what,thanks for any suggestions
Posted By: dssaa

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/22/10 09:31 PM

Do not run that engine with a bolt down there...somewhere. You have to find it, and remove it. I would get one of those long flexible cables with the magnetic end and start fishing...
Posted By: 1970440six

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/22/10 09:33 PM

If it dropped in the intake, how is it going to end up in the exhaust without running through the cylinder? If you are sure you dropped it in the intake pull the head and get it out.
Posted By: HemiSportFury

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/22/10 09:33 PM

If you are talking about the heat cross over, the opening in the center of the head on the intake side and not down the inside of the carb, they it is no problem at all. That is a blind hole around the crossover passage to reduce the heat transfer to the head.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/22/10 09:38 PM

Quote:

If you are talking about the heat cross over, the opening in the center of the head on the intake side and not down the inside of the carb, they it is no problem at all. That is a blind hole around the crossover passage to reduce the heat transfer to the head.

Exactly. If its in the "U" shaped area just get a magnet--I've pulled all sorts of crap out of these areas over the years. If it dropped into the exhaust crossover it may or may not be a problem. I would go after it with a magnet.
May find a home harmlessly in the exhaust...then again, may rattle.

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/22/10 11:44 PM

somehow it rolled into the passenger side head.who sells a good long magnet.i was hoping it was inside the intake but i guess today was my day for everything to go down hill. i really thought my vacum rig job would have sucked it up but no luck. ill try one more time before i pull head off
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/23/10 12:03 AM

Please clarify "it rolled into the head" as mentioned if it went into the upside down "U" shaped opening it won't hurt anything.. If it's one of the 70-71 vintage intakes with a sheet metal cup for the choke coil & the bolt fell into the open exhuast crossover you've got to get it out cause it can wind up in contact with the exhaust valve & from the it could pontentially wind upin a cylinder... Pull the intake & you should be able to fish it out...
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/23/10 12:07 AM

Quote:

Please clarify "it rolled into the head" as mentioned if it went into the upside down "U" shaped opening it won't hurt anything.. If it's one of the 70-71 vintage intakes with a sheet metal cup for the choke coil & the bolt fell into the open exhuast crossover you've got to get it out cause it can wind up in contact with the exhaust valve & from the it could pontentially wind upin a cylinder... Pull the intake & you should be able to fish it out...

Unless he dropped it in the manifold and it rolled into the cylinder with one of the valves hanging open. You gotta find that screw man. You know any doctors? Maybe a shop can let you borrow an endoscope/snakescope/borescope and you can look inside the cylinders through the spark plug hole.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/23/10 12:27 AM

Quote:

Please clarify "it rolled into the head" as mentioned if it went into the upside down "U" shaped opening it won't hurt anything.. .

That 'U' opening is nothing but an air dam to help keep the hot adjacent exhaust ports from building up excessive heat.. They do not go internal.

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/23/10 01:19 AM

i went to 4 places looking for a flexible magnet. i found a long telescopic type. it wont help anyway because the 2 bolts that i used for choke block plate must be a low grade metal since the magnet wont pick up the other bolt . iwill try to snake hose down port of head again with the vacum next weekend.thanks for the help

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/29/10 10:36 PM

i went fishing today for the dropped bolt in head. could not get it so i had to remove head. found bolt right away .now i have to put it all back. next time i will be more careful when working on cars
Posted By: Commando1

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/30/10 11:44 AM

Quote:

i went fishing today for the dropped bolt in head. could not get it so i had to remove head. found bolt right away .now i have to put it all back. next time i will be more careful when working on cars

Lemme get this right.
The screw (it's not a bolt):
1. fell down through the carb,
2. into the intake manifold,
3. down the plenum,
4. through an open valve,
5. and into the chamber....

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/31/10 02:26 AM

it was a small bolt that goes were choke rod on manifold goes . i had the parts from the choke assembly off because i was installing a block off plate since my new carb is electric choke . when i was starting to tread bolt into manifold to make sure new bolts were correct length,it fell inside manifold and rolled all the way into head. a 5 minute repair has turned into a weekend of removing and re installing head
Posted By: Commando1

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/31/10 12:19 PM

Don't feel bad.
I once had the distributer out of my SB and a 4-40 X 1/8" screw fell down inside the block...
Posted By: ngpSatellite

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/31/10 01:08 PM

Quote:

Don't feel bad.
I once had the distributer out of my SB and a 4-40 X 1/8" screw fell down inside the block...

.... back in the day in the USAF, you would drop a scew in an F4 cockpit and you would have to call egress, pull the seat and sometimes take days looking for a tiny washer or screw now those were the days!!!
Posted By: ledft79

Re: help,dropped bolt - 05/31/10 02:31 PM

Quote:

I would get one of those long flexible cables with the magnetic end.

I'm not sure where I got it, but I have a thick copper wire with a magnet on the end of it, fully bendable to any position. I think I got it from Sears.

Attached picture 6012056-01-12-201010;06;53PM.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums