Moparts

Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW?

Posted By: dmerc

Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 11:59 AM

I just bought a new CAT water pump for an earlier model 360. The pump that was sent to me has an impeller that only pumps properly in a CCW rotation looking at the Pulley. The vendor swears they are all like that. Trying to get to the bottom of this.

Attached picture 5981932-rotate.gif
Posted By: BigDawg72

Re: Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 12:14 PM

It is my understanding that the magnum pumps do rotate opposite from the LA pumps due to the serpentine belt routing. I'm like 90% sure. Maybe someone who is 100% sure will chime in. I used the timing cover and water pump from my LA style engine when I put my magnum block together.

Re: Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 12:36 PM

Bottom line, I need a CW pump and they sent me a CCW pump. Having a hard time trying to convince them it's wrong. They said send it back and pay a 15% restocking fee along with my shipping cost.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 02:37 PM

Quote:

Bottom line, I need a CW pump and they sent me a CCW pump. Having a hard time trying to convince them it's wrong. They said send it back and pay a 15% restocking fee along with my shipping cost.

I have both pumps sitting on my bench. Magnum CCW, LA CW. The outlets for the pumps are totally different as well. Ask them how you are supposed to plumb it in now that your upper radiator hose does not reach.
Craig
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 02:48 PM

Quote:

I just bought a new CAT water pump

There is your problem...

Buy a better brand and bet you will get what you need...heck, rather have a parts store rebuild then a cat one..

Re: Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 04:23 PM

Yup, it's the last chinese knock off I'll buy. Ive learned my lesson. I'm going to the Chrysler dealer to see if they can spec a Heavy Duty water pump from say a police car from the 70's.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 05:15 PM

most likely will be NS1 or only available as a reman, which most likely will be no different from what you could get at napa, carquest, etc.

AFAIK, there's no special "heavy duty" waterpump, just the 6 blade and 8 blade, and the determination on which to use is determined by application (A/C or non A/C, the water pump pulley is different sized between a/c and non a/c)

Re: Do Magnum serpentine water pumps run backwards CCW? - 05/14/10 06:21 PM

Patrick, Ive also read that the 8 blade version is has a larger diameter impeller.
© 2024 Moparts Forums