Moparts

66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start.

Posted By: scotts66charger

66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/07/10 07:08 AM

I have a 1966 Charger. 440, .30 over,headers BIG cam,Air gap manifold,holley 750 DP,electronic Ignition,new wiring from front to midway through the car (from "painless wiring" in california),etc. The problem is,just recently,the car will start fine,then I go to town,cruise a little, then go to lunch and turn the car off.After I have lunch, the car won't start. After a little while, it starts again. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to start,or the other day, it wouldn't start for 2 days, then started just fine. It dosen't do it very often,but has happened more lately. I have a 3-5 year old"mini" starter on it. Do you think the starter is going bad, or maybe something else?? The battery is a new one.Anyone have a clue whats up? Thanx in advance. scott
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/07/10 07:26 AM

When you wrote that it won't start, do you mean that it spins over but will not run? Did you mean that turning the key results in NO response at all? For help you will need to give more info.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't st - 05/07/10 04:53 PM

With no info , I would guess starter.Does it click? could be bad B+ on starter connection.

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/07/10 05:51 PM

Sorry about that guys. Well,when I turn the key, i get nothing ! The door lights come on,etc,the alarm chirps when I turn the key to the off position. I replaced the key and switch, thinking it was that, but it still didnt turn over, so i put the old key/switch back in, and after aprox 4 hours, it started right up.. Hope that helps. scott
Posted By: Mad_Scientist

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/07/10 05:53 PM

Sounds like a problem with the battery connection. Any corrosion at the starter?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/07/10 05:55 PM

Have you checked to see if moving the shifter through the gears with the key in the start position made it turn over. Sometimes a slightly out of adjustment shift linkage will keep the neutral saftey switch form working.

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/07/10 05:58 PM

I tried to move the shifter up and down through the D21 range, but didnt help. As far as the other post, the terminals are in excellant condition, no corosion,etc. What about the bendix? Dosen't that sit on top of the starter, and engage when I turn the key??
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/07/10 06:06 PM

Next time try leaving the key on and jumping the starter relay on the fender. If it turns over then you can eliminate the starter as the problem.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't start. - 05/08/10 07:09 AM

My buddies Road Runner did that, it was in the connection at the starter. The terminal was all stripped out and loosened up. Check the starter out for an electrical connection problem. If there is none it must be the starter itself.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: 66 charger,440. starts,won't start,starts,won't st - 05/08/10 04:40 PM

Quote:

Next time try leaving the key on and jumping the starter relay on the fender. If it turns over then you can eliminate the starter as the problem.

1st place to start. Make sure its in park!
Just about took out my Dads 1st Charger doing this in drive!
© 2024 Moparts Forums