Moparts

Which MIG welding helmet should I buy?

Posted By: The Duster

Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/03/10 10:27 AM

I want an auto darkening one, and I am leaning towards the Hobart XVS or would like to stay in that price range or less ($145). I will be buying from Sears website as I have gift cards.

Many thanks,
Roy
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/03/10 11:32 AM

-Adjustable Auto-Darkening feature,
-Largest Viewing Area; so you aren't looking through a "tunnel,"
-Solar Powered (light from arc powers it with/without a small backup battery.)

If the Hobart one has those features, then buy it.
Posted By: TheHemi

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/03/10 09:34 PM

My buddy's eyeballs suggest don't skimp...
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/03/10 11:24 PM

I am very happy with my Miller Stars and Strip helmet it may be marketed under Hobart now.
Posted By: rss

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 04:16 AM

My welding instructor recommended the $50 ones you can get from Harbor Freight.
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 12:17 PM

I bought one of these last year (50 dollar harbour freight), works great so far. Also bought leather welding gloves there as well. Both still work fine.
Posted By: 1970GTX

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 01:04 PM

Quote:

I am very happy with my Miller Stars and Strip helmet it may be marketed under Hobart now.

Me too
Posted By: Blown69

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 01:37 PM

Quote:

I bought one of these last year (50 dollar harbour freight), works great so far. Also bought leather welding gloves there as well. Both still work fine.

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 03:08 PM

I spent the extra and bought a Miller.
I want to enjoy looking at cars and natural beauty a lot longer, and consider it a fair price.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 03:10 PM

I've had a couple. One was from HF and one was sold by Lincoln. Both solar only. They both worked fairly well but I suggest keeping them dry, charged and/or out of extreme temps. I left one in the sun to charge too long and I think it burned it out. The other one, I got caught in a sudden but brief summer down pour and its dead too. Also, I had them in an unheated garage and in the dark for long periods over the long Nebraska winters. When it got warm enough to "play" again, they took a long time to charge, which is why I left the one out too long. For now I just use one of the large filter lenses sandwiched between two cover lenses clipped between a spring clip that doubles as a handle. Improvise, adapt, and overcome
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 07:08 PM

I was given a Linclon welder helmet by a rep for Lincoln and I used a friends cheapo Harbor Freight helmut and the harbor freight one works better..
Posted By: 397STROKER

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 07:37 PM

Harbor Frieght works just fine.

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 08:52 PM

I'm now thinking of getting a Speedglas 9002X for around $240 or so because of the very large field of view Viewing Area: 4.09" x 2.13" (104mm x 54mm) . What do you guys think?

again, thanks for all of the help.

Roy
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/04/10 10:58 PM

Quote:

I'm now thinking of getting a Speedglas 9002X for around $240 or so because of the very large field of view Viewing Area: 4.09" x 2.13" (104mm x 54mm) . What do you guys think?

again, thanks for all of the help.

Roy

Comfort is an important key to good welding skills and the better you can see, the more comfortable you will be

Re: Which MIG welding helmet should I buy? - 05/05/10 11:30 PM

Thanks guys. I just ordered the Speedglas 9002X for $225 new in box on eBay. A few extra bucks now may mean I'm happier down the road.

Roy
© 2024 Moparts Forums