Moparts

An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer?

Posted By: Alan

An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 09:01 AM

I only recently learned about this one... and then actually picked up an 18-spline A-833 that confirms that this is possible:

My tranny has NO serial number... the boss where it would normally be stamped is completely blank... moreover, this boss has not even been machined smooth - it has the same cast sort of surface as the rest of the iron case.

~ How can this be...?

Let's see how many guesses it takes before we have a winner with the correct answer - which I promise is the gospel truth.

- Alan
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 09:14 AM

Transmission from a '68 model year vehicle?

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 10:43 AM

Nope. - why'68...? you can have a numbers matching 1968 car, right...?
Posted By: '84 D150 Shorty

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 10:50 AM

is it an A833 from a GM rather than a Chrysler?

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 11:20 AM

Wrong again... and I do not think GM ever used New Process trannys, did they...?

I should state that this is just your typical, production Hemi 4-speed - nothing otherwise unusual about it - and the situation could just as likely involve a 23-spline, automatic 727 or 904, etc. The reason for it being a blank drive train piece is not specific that this one happens to be an 18-spline (obviously, it's from somewhere between 1968 and,mmmmmmm, 1974(?) - I'm not sure when Chrysler bailed on New Process - anybody know when they did ...?
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 11:50 AM

GM light duty pickups used the 833OD in the eighties. The trans was modified to bolt directly into truck with GM bolt pattern, spline count, tailshaft length, etc.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 11:57 AM

It was an over the counter transmission. Probably warrantee replacement.

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 02:22 PM

Quote:

And we have a winner...! That's correct, warranty replacement from the factory -let's say you blew the snot out of your trans somehow & the dealer conceeded you a new transmission - this is how it would have come from the assembly plant, no machining, no smooth boss, and certainly no serial number - I wonder if you would have been able to get them to knock the new unit apart so the original main case could be used - oh wait -that's right... nobody gave two hoots about "numbers matching" back then, until the Corvette types applied it to our hobby. Thanks again for doing that, Galen...
Posted By: Finoke

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

And we have a winner...! That's correct, warranty replacement from the factory -let's say you blew the snot out of your trans somehow & the dealer conceeded you a new transmission - this is how it would have come from the assembly plant, no machining, no smooth boss, and certainly no serial number - I wonder if you would have been able to get them to knock the new unit apart so the original main case could be used - oh wait -that's right... nobody gave two hoots about "numbers matching" back then, until the Corvette types applied it to our hobby. Thanks again for doing that, Galen...

Mine has no partial VIN but still has the date code and plant numbers. So are you saying that an over the counter trans had no numbers at all in that spot???

Attached picture 5957455-Picture035.JPG
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 03:51 PM

Interestingly, GM used New Process A-833 OD transmissions in 2wd and 4wd pickups. Some Pontiac cars used Ford Toploader 4 speeds.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 04:04 PM

Quote:

Mine has no partial VIN but still has the date code and plant numbers. So are you saying that an over the counter trans had no numbers at all in that spot???

It sounds more likely that someone replaced the case with an over the counter case. A complete over the counter transmission would have PP883 the assembly date and the sequence number stamped on the pad.

Attached picture 5957627-nostrans9.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 04:06 PM

67 trans
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 04:42 PM

Quote:

67 trans

'67 trans or any "trans assy" should still have the stamped assembly info & NO VIN# - "PP833 XXXX XXXX"

"over-the-counter" main case
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 09:39 PM

A '67 wouldn't have the raised boss, machined or not, and I agree that a replacement trans would have the PP833 stamping.

Gotta be a parts room replacement case.

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 10:13 PM

Actually John some later 67 transmissins did have the raised pad.
Posted By: topside

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/01/10 11:11 PM

Come to think of it , New Process made the transfer case assys found in a lot of GM trucks; my plow truck has some Mopar in it! Philco, a division of Ford, made the radios for Mopars of the '50s. AMC used parts from everyone at one time or another.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/02/10 11:47 AM

Buick used Ford 3 speeds in GS's until 1970 I think. My '68 had one.
Posted By: tt455

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/02/10 12:45 PM

Quote:

Buick used Ford 3 speeds in GS's until 1970 I think. My '68 had one.

No that is not true.Yours must have been changed.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/02/10 03:22 PM

Not only did the last 18-spline that I sold NOT have the boss, it also used the 307 front bearing. As I understand it, it was a 66 trans (but may have been a 67).
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/02/10 04:19 PM

Quote:

Wrong again... and I do not think GM ever used New Process trannys, did they...?

I should state that this is just your typical, production Hemi 4-speed - nothing otherwise unusual about it - and the situation could just as likely involve a 23-spline, automatic 727 or 904, etc. The reason for it being a blank drive train piece is not specific that this one happens to be an 18-spline (obviously, it's from somewhere between 1968 and,mmmmmmm, 1974(?) - I'm not sure when Chrysler bailed on New Process - anybody know when they did ...?

Here's your answer......
New Process Gear, a division of Magna Powertrain, was a joint-venture automobile transmission company set up by General Motors and the Chrysler Corporation in February 1990. It was 64% owned by DaimlerChrysler and 36% owned by GM until February 2002, when General Motors sold its stake in the company to DaimlerChrysler. Magna International purchased 80% of the company, under the holding name "New Process Gear", from DaimlerChrysler on September 29, 2004 and continues to operate it. As of 2007, Magna owns 80% of the plant.

New Venture Gear inherited Chrysler's New Process Gear Syracuse, New York plant and GM's Muncie, Indiana transmission plant. The New Process plant was renamed to the "New Process Gear Division" of New Venture Gear. New Venture operates a similar operation in Roitzsch, Germany. The Muncie plant was reverted to GM control. The name of this GM Plant was changed to "Manual Transmissions Of Muncie". It closed its doors in mid 2006, and was turned over to Delaware County, IN. The plant was soon demolished after the turnover to Delaware County, IN. Magna, after two rejections of concessions by the union, has also announced its intent to close the Syracuse plant.

New Process Gear itself has been in business since 1888.

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/02/10 04:45 PM

Quote:

Not only did the last 18-spline that I sold NOT have the boss, it also used the 307 front bearing. As I understand it, it was a 66 trans (but may have been a 67).

Correct Jim, the 66 transmissions did not have a boss, it was added sometime in the later part of 67 production but did not yet contain the VIN stamping (that didn't start until 1968).
Posted By: groundpoint6

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/06/10 09:59 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I don`t get on the computer often, but back in the day at the Chrysler dealer I ran, we would rebuild 727`s and 904`s in house. We would also rebuild all engines providing their was no block damage also in house, the same held true for carb`s, steering boxes and rear`s. I never came across an 833 that had to be rebuilt or replaced all the years I was with Chrysler, but had I, policy would have provided an exchange unit, new, not reman, and the numbers on the new case would not have a paper trail to the car it was being placed into. Alan is right the 833 trans he has was either bought over the counter or it was a replacement under warrenty.
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: An interesting Mopar trivia question - can YOU answer? - 05/06/10 10:31 PM

Quote:

Actually John some later 67 transmissins did have the raised pad.

Thats what I make of it. Have had several 67 18 splines with the un-machined pad. 67 used 307 brg, 68 was 308.
© 2024 Moparts Forums