Moparts

timing for dummies

Posted By: ngpSatellite

timing for dummies - 04/29/10 10:03 PM

Can anyone give me a brief description on how do advance timing on a 69 383hp stock eng with an Eddie 750. I got a good idea on how to time the motor at idle but like to know how to time it at higher rpm…..
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: timing for dummies - 04/29/10 10:23 PM

Quote:

Can anyone give me a brief description on how do advance timing on a 69 383hp stock eng with an Eddie 750. I got a good idea on how to time the motor at idle but like to know how to time it at higher rpm…..

To the best of my knowledge, mechanical advance is established by your distributor advance plates. That, plus your initial timing, will establish your total timing.
Posted By: sharpie

Re: timing for dummies - 04/29/10 10:28 PM

It depends on what kind of distributor you have to set mechanical/vacuum advance correctly.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: timing for dummies - 04/29/10 10:28 PM

Give it all the initial timing it will take with out kicking back when starting it back up hot. If it bogs when starting it's to far advanced. Use a dial back timing light to find what the initial is when set. Bring RPMs up to 2800 or 3000 and see what your total is. If over 40 to 42 you will have to recurve the distributor
Posted By: ngpSatellite

Re: timing for dummies - 04/29/10 10:38 PM

stock dist from autozone........ thx Doug!!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: timing for dummies - 04/29/10 10:41 PM

Do you have a dialback? What is your initial now? I'd unplug/cap the vac adv hose and post what you have for initial then run the rpm up until it wont advance any more which may be over 3500 & see (& post) what you have. If you dont have a dialback make a magic marker mark on the harmonic dampener 2&1/4" to the right (clockwise) from the TDC line and this is 35.5 degrees which will give you a rough idea of where your total is at. Post how far (roughly) on either side of that mark you're at & we'll go from there. If you have a dialback you'll know exactly though mine is ~1 degree off compared to a good sears std one. EDIT .0632683" is 1 degree so if you have a 2-3" mike you can measure/mark on a strip of paper then transfer that to the dampener if you have no dialback for your total.
Posted By: JonC

Re: timing for dummies - 04/29/10 11:13 PM

I hope this turns into a good informative post for both big block and small block and put in the archives if it isn't already there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums