Moparts

Vinyl Top discoloration

Posted By: NotEnufGarage

Vinyl Top discoloration - 08/05/08 06:36 PM

The white vinyl top I installed on the Duster a couple years ago is starting to get yellow and brown splotches showing up on it. Soft Scrub seems to reduce it, but doesn't completely make it disappear.

What can I do short of putting on a new top? Would vinyl dye (SEM Color Coat) permanently fix this?
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: Vinyl Top discoloration - 08/05/08 11:03 PM

Please tell me you did not put armor-all on it.I ruined mine that way.My top guy said nothing with silicone.Mild soap and water.Back tops you can get away with it but not white.I never told my wife what happened.Its hard not to want it to shine,but I have not been able to try anything else.Some say that STP son of a gun has no silicone but I cant find any info on it.Good luck
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Vinyl Top discoloration - 08/06/08 12:33 AM

Tom,
Before you resort to dyeing the top,.......try useing 3M's general purpose adhesive remover, I use it to "strip" my top of road grunge, esp, after a few hours driving on the road in the rain,....the white top takes a beat'in.......clean a small area at a time, use plenty of WHITE rags only,,,,,NO COLORS!.....stuff is pretty good at "stripping" up crap out of the grain, don't stay in one area too long, clean with strokes following the grain, not against,,,,,,I have a white interior as well, so I know what a BEOTCH it is to clean tuff stains.....regardless of where you might use the 3M cleaner, always test FIRST,.....cause it will strip!......keep it off paint!........and NO silicone vinyl protectorants on white, soap and water, keep clean,,,,,don't let it go to long!

Attached picture 4600419-0000a.jpg

Re: Vinyl Top discoloration - 08/06/08 03:43 PM

The discoloration seems to be coming from the adhesive leeching up through the vinyl. I may have to replace the top and use a different adhesive. I used 3M 8090 Super Trim Adhesive, which is yellow. I suspect the heat and sun are making it seep through the vinyl.

I might try the adhesive remover and see if that keeps it at bay for a while.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Vinyl Top discoloration - 08/06/08 10:29 PM

Quote:

The discoloration seems to be coming from the adhesive leeching up through the vinyl. I may have to replace the top and use a different adhesive. I used 3M 8090 Super Trim Adhesive, which is yellow. I suspect the heat and sun are making it seep through the vinyl.

I might try the adhesive remover and see if that keeps it at bay for a while.

I use the same 3M super adhesive, have been for years, on all different colors of vinyl, including white, interior/ exterior.......perhaps the vinyl top might be very thin, or have no "cloth" backer to it?......who supplied your top.....did you use any armour all, or silicone sheen inhancers/ protectorants?......because they will cause light tans and whites to yellow?

Attached picture 4602314-0000a.jpg

Re: Vinyl Top discoloration - 08/07/08 04:16 AM

The only thing I've used on it is Soft Scrub (to remove the discoloration) and 303 Aerospace Protectant. No Armor All or Silicone based protectants.
© 2024 Moparts Forums