Moparts

torsion bar removal

Posted By: plymguy

torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 09:27 PM

Where can I get a good torsion bar removal tool? I have seen different ones but I would to get a good one that will do any bar. Thanks for any info here.
John
Posted By: Badfish67

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 09:29 PM

Are you planning on using them again? If not, just cut them in half and pull both parts out.
Posted By: Todd

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 09:30 PM

I made my own out of 1 1/4" square bar. I need to take some pics. Works very well.
Posted By: HerboldRacing

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 09:46 PM

This is what I do - remove the nut that secures the lower control arms to the k member. Then use a hammer and hit the side of the control arm so it moves the arm (and torsion bar) an inch or two towards the back of the car. Now get on the other side of the control arm, grab the torsion bar (wear gloves) and whack on the control arm (moving it forwards) while pulling backwards on the torsion bar. Keep hitting the control arm - each hit makes the torsion bar vibrate/bounce out about 1/16 inch. Repeat until the torsion bar is out. Don't ever hit the torsion bar itself.

Edit: And don't forget to remove the torsion bar retaining clip first!!! :-)
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 10:19 PM

Quote:

This is what I do - remove the nut that secures the lower control arms to the k member. Then use a hammer and hit the side of the control arm so it moves the arm (and torsion bar) an inch or two towards the back of the car. Now get on the other side of the control arm, grab the torsion bar (wear gloves) and whack on the control arm (moving it forwards) while pulling backwards on the torsion bar. Keep hitting the control arm - each hit makes the torsion bar vibrate/bounce out about 1/16 inch. Repeat until the torsion bar is out. Don't ever hit the torsion bar itself.

Doesn't that booger up your LCA?

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 10:57 PM

Quote:

Doesn't that booger up your LCA?

Booger it up how? I just hit the flat part on the side of the LCA, and not very hard either. I use something like a 12 oz hammer. The LCA is a real stout piece of metal.
Posted By: BDW

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:04 PM

I've seen people take an old gooseneck from a bike for a cheapie tool. If your only going to use it once, worth a try.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:18 PM

what's a gooseneck?

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:26 PM

Quote:

what's a gooseneck?

The part of the goose between the head and the body.
Posted By: bordin34

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:31 PM

I didn't plan on using my torsion bars again so I just put vice grips on them and a hammer. Worked great.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:32 PM

Flat rate front-end mechanics don't need no stinkin' specialty tools when there's a BFH and a large pry bar handy (which they always are).

AFTER removing all the twist in the bar, the appropriate fasteners, strut rod stuff, clips, etc:

1. Pry the LCA away from the K member to push the T-bar out of the rear socket.

2. Tap the LCA forward (whilest grasping the T-bar with your other hand) to get the front socket off of the T-bar.

Hurt the poor widdle LCA? Bwahahahahah.

(Okay, if you have a concourse-level restoration on your suspension, maybe you can pad your hammer and pry bar with some rags.)
Posted By: BDW

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:35 PM

Ah come on, everyone knows what a gooseneck is.

Attached picture 5935531-8d83_35[1].jpg

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:38 PM

Quote:

Flat rate front-end mechanics don't need no stinkin' specialty tools when there's a BFH and a large pry bar handy (which they always are).

AFTER removing all the twist in the bar, the appropriate fasteners, strut rod stuff, clips, etc:

1. Pry the LCA away from the K member to push the T-bar out of the rear socket.

2. Tap the LCA forward (whilest grasping the T-bar with your other hand) to get the front socket off of the T-bar.

Hurt the poor widdle LCA? Bwahahahahah.

This is essentially what I said I do to get the torsion bar off. But you described it better. Thanks. :-)

But to add... for part 2 (the tapping the LCA forward) - even if the LCA is already all the way forward and the torsion bar is still stuck in the socket - just wail away at the LCA... the shock/vibration/bounce will cause the torsion bar to back out of the socket with each hit. For me the torsion bar moved out of the socket about 1/16" of the way with each strike of my hammer on the LCA.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/19/10 11:54 PM

Quote:

Ah come on, everyone knows what a gooseneck is.

thanks... I recognize that part, just never heard it called a gooseneck before. In fact I never heard it called anything before!

How about wrapping a piece of soft aluminum sheet around the bar and clamping a visegrip on it, then just smack with a hammer? The aluminum would have to be thick enough so the visegrip teeth don't hit the bar, of course.
Posted By: Neil

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 12:15 AM

The 90's and earlier style BMX stems work good. They upper half is held in place with 4 allen head bolts. The one pictured above would be harder to get over the t-bar. In fact, they aren't even designed to open up that far and would probably break or become very deformed in the process.

http://www.bikepartsplace.com/images/med/31865557.jpg
Posted By: ahy

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 01:47 AM

The tool Mancini sells is stout and easy to use. Much better than my homemade one.
Posted By: cynic

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 05:42 AM

Just use a brace that is put in concrete to hold wooden posts up and a couple of muffler clamps, 2 1/8 inch, and a 5 lb hammer and they usually come right out.

Attached picture 5936204-torsionbartool2.jpg
Posted By: Fab64

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 05:47 AM

I made my own from a couple of two-by-fours and some steel plates:

Posted By: Lefty

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 03:46 PM

Quote:

That's how I do it also. Never caused any damage...
Posted By: Todd

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 03:49 PM

Quote:

Thats what the one I made looks like but out of steel. I put a cut off piece dog collar and put it around the t-bar and bolted it tight.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 04:16 PM

Quote:

I tell you what, we got some darn clever guys around here...!!
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 05:06 PM

i bought a tool off ebay. and used it last weekend. the tool was two pieces of steel about 3x5x1" with a channel cut into it and 4 bolts. it could only go on the bar in one location near the rear frame because of my headers and other clearance issues. but it worked!
Posted By: 74fldart

Re: torsion bar removal - 04/20/10 05:29 PM

with headers on the car its hard to get a spot for clearance to put a tool on.
just the other day i had to pull my 383 w headers out of my dart so the torsion bar had to slide back on the pass. side. i couldnt get it to budge to save my life. after thinking about it a day or 2 i thought about lifting the motor to take the wt off the k member and thats all it needed. the car was on jackstands in the front so i guess there was enough sag in the subframe to make the t bar bind and not want to slide back.
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: torsion bar removal - 09/04/10 10:51 PM

I sell lot of these. I made them from 1" X 1" X 2.5" HRS steel with a knurled handle.I use 2 3/816 grade 8 bolts(very sturdy) I have them listed on $37.99 or www.custommachinecomponents.com or www.stores.ebay.com/johnscudashop 843-324-3586

Attached picture 6177833-100_1378.jpg
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: torsion bar removal - 09/04/10 11:14 PM

From MoParts past:

Butch Kochel's Torsion Bar tool

Heres the torsion bar revoval tool I came up with, 2 pieces of angle iron welded to large vice grips. This way you dont have to bolt up the tool, just clamp on and whack away!!! I rounded all edges and it didnt even mar up a wooded broom handle, yet once it's clamped down it doesnt slide at all, it holds tight.

Butch

Attached picture 6177846-tbtool001.jpg
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: torsion bar removal - 09/04/10 11:19 PM

2nd pic

Attached picture 6177853-tbtool002.jpg
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: torsion bar removal - 09/05/10 12:15 AM

ah yes the annual barn job t-bar tool thread, ive tried all that were for sale. so id designed/made my own. it is the strongest and best material.will work on hemi car with 2 1/4 inch headers.cnc cut works on all bars $38 shipped

Attached picture 6177908-4517473-100_1551.jpg
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: torsion bar removal - 09/05/10 12:18 AM

nutter pic

Attached picture 6177913-4517480-100_1553.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums