Moparts

A-body TTI headers & Z-bar

Posted By: goldduster318

A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/03/10 06:46 PM

I'm looking to install some TTI headers on my 70 Duster and want to use the mechanical clutch linkage for the 4-speed. TTI says modifications may be required to the factory z-bar. Has anyone run into this? Any Z-bars that are off the shelf that fit better than others (Brewer's, etc).

Any pictures? What if any issues have you run into?

Thanks for the help!
Posted By: 6PAX

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/03/10 07:41 PM

I went through this last summer. I put TTIs on my 70 340 Dart and I had a problem with the z-bar hitting one of the header tubes. I had to take it off and have it modified for clearance.

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/03/10 08:16 PM

when you say modified, are you saying just grind a little off OR is it more like cut the lug off and re-weld it in a different spot?
Posted By: JeffC

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/03/10 08:26 PM

TTI sells the z-bar your looking for its about $100, or you can modify your z-bar.

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/03/10 08:28 PM

I thought that Z-bar was for big block only applications based on the ball stud mount they call out (they use the brewer's number for big blocks)
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/03/10 08:32 PM

I cut the downleg off and move it.

That one that tti sells looks like an abomination if used on a SB car. You don't have to move it much. Good luck putting a S bend in it like tti suggested after they said they never heard of such a problem.

total [Email]cr@p[/Email] for as much as they cost.
Posted By: JeffC

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/03/10 08:49 PM

Quote:

I thought that Z-bar was for big block only applications based on the ball stud mount they call out (they use the brewer's number for big blocks)

Yep thats for a big block nevermind.

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/04/10 02:59 AM

So you just cut it off and move it over a bit? Sounds easy enough. Pictures would be very helpful though!
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/04/10 05:17 AM

Maybe I got lucky. My 360 4sp Duster has TTI headers and all I had to do was bend the lower leg toward the block a little and everything fit fine. If there is a problem with yours, maybe a mod at the ball swivel at the bellhousing end could help.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: A-body TTI headers & Z-bar - 04/06/10 10:38 AM

Had to grind a little off the bottom and give it a slight bend to clear the header tube. Had the z-bar in n out numerous times til I got it just right.

Attached picture 5910166-ClutchRod.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums