Moparts

About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please

Posted By: MonGoo$e

About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 05:37 AM

for my 414 Stroker, 904 Transmission which has been beefed and shift-kitted (lol) all in my 3.55 geared '73 Duster. I'm looking for a nice street converter, without paying a load of money, I'm wanting to find a good brand though, something I shouldn't have to worry about.
on Summits site I see Mopar Perf, Hughes, TCI, B&M.

Seems a lot of Mopar Perf. stuff has quality isses. I hear a bit on TCI, and B& M always seems solid with the transmissions.

I guess for stall I'd want something close to stock 2000ish would be fine with me.

Any input it greatly appriciated.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 06:09 AM

I have had good luck with the TCI units. A decent converter for a nice price. Serious racers with someone elses money have their converters made to their own specs. In Sacto, we have D and P converters. there are others, but I have one of their 3000 stall 9.5 inch units in my 493 Charger.
Posted By: Chilort

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 06:18 AM

Turbo Action.

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 06:40 AM

Yeah TCI has some nicely priced items, one is called a Sizzler but they don't list stall on it. (Correction, they
do, it's a 1,700)
I'm thinking 727 and 904 converters are different, is this correct?
Not a lot specific shows for a 904.
Posted By: Lew

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 10:28 AM

Quote:

Turbo Action.

We just installed a turbo action tight 10" in our 69 340 Cuda, mildly warmed up, 3.91 gear, very nice coverter. call Paul at T/A in FL. tell him what you have and he will tell you what you need, good guy to talk to. You will need flex plate and bolt kit also, check and make sure you have a auto trans crank, it dose matter on a S/B anyway. Found the best purchase deal at Mancini's.Yes i did see that you have an auto trans, so did mine but someone cramed the nose of the converter up to the crank and pulled it tight, bent the flex plate and took out my trans pump and pump housing.
Posted By: Bighead440

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 01:13 PM

Try PTC in Alabama [256-383-6868], they build to suit and are MoPar friendly. We are a dealer for them in central Georgia, and that's all we sell for HP street and drag duty... RB
Posted By: gd9704

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 02:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Turbo Action.

We just installed a turbo action tight 10" in our 69 340 Cuda, mildly warmed up, 3.91 gear, very nice coverter. call Paul at T/A in FL. tell him what you have and he will tell you what you need, good guy to talk to. You will need flex plate and bolt kit also, check and make sure you have a auto trans crank, it dose matter on a S/B anyway. Found the best purchase deal at Mancini's.Yes i did see that you have an auto trans, so did mine but someone cramed the nose of the converter up to the crank and pulled it tight, bent the flex plate and took out my trans pump and pump housing.

I too run a "tight" 10" Turbo Action on my Demon--3.91 rear, mild 340...I like it.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 02:34 PM

Turbo Action. We've used TA for over 30 years no problems ever.

www.turboaction.com
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 03:47 PM

You might try the guys at "RevMax" in Arizona. They'll custom-build you a good converter for pretty cheap.
877-780-4334
Also, I like the B&M Holeshots...
Posted By: patrick

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 07:58 PM

on a big torque motor, you'll always have a worry with a 904 TC, because the hub is so small, they're prone to cracking at the base of the slot.
Posted By: Junky

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 08:52 PM

Hughes Performance is a good torque converter!! Excellent service too.

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 10:33 PM

thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it, my crank is the Eagle 4" stroker deal, Engine builder knew it was for an auto.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/13/10 10:54 PM

Check out one of the sponsors here. Mancini Racing. Just got mine from them. Excellent price. Good people to do bus with.
Posted By: 383man

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions please - 03/15/10 03:46 AM

There is alot of good converter companies out there like Turbo Action , ATI , Dynamic , PTC , Ultimate and so on. All I can say is I have used Turbo Action and Dynamic with great results from both. Right now I have a 9.5 Dynamic in my 63 street car and it works great. Ron
Posted By: Hazwoy

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions plea - 03/15/10 04:01 AM

I vote for Hughes 2000 stall. Just put one in my 1972 Dodge Charger with semi built 360 and it is PERFECT for a semi hot daily driver. Had a Mopar Performance 145K and it lasted 4 years and I didn't like it as much as the Hughes.
Posted By: dave571

Re: About to order a Torque Converter, suggestions plea - 03/15/10 05:21 AM

FWIW

I would call a reputable custom builder, and buy a good one

You've spent some decent money on a stroked small block, and beefed up a 904 to handle it, why would you look for the cheap way out now?

Lenny at ultimate converter has an excellent reputation, and there are other companies who will build for your needs.

ALSO, a converter from a reputable guy won't cost a bunch more money, as he will still only sell you the converter you need. Not something exotic that you won't need. Just a nice, well built piece.

Buy a good converter, and you won't regret it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums