Moparts

Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams?

Posted By: moparguy

Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/01/10 09:16 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has used the comp cams xtreme energy cams and how they liked them. The one I am looking at is the 285 hl which is a .545 lift
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/01/10 11:06 AM

Quote:

I'm wondering if anyone has used the comp cams xtreme energy cams and how they liked them. The one I am looking at is the 285 hl which is a .545 lift

I've used them several times..Had some good luck with them in the past... In my Opinion there a better design then the old Purple Shaft ,As far as Performance..
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/01/10 12:29 PM

Using that in my BB now.
Thought I was being frugal keeping my stock TC with that cam.
Now I know I was being stupid.
Get my drift?
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/01/10 12:31 PM

Quote:

Using that in my BB now.
Thought I was being frugal keeping my stock TC with that cam.
Now I know I was being stupid.
Get my drift?

TC?
Posted By: DAMOPARS

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/01/10 01:17 PM

TC...Torque Converter
These cams can be noisy.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/01/10 06:38 PM

I like em. I have a xe 284 in my street 383, does everything I want it to do.
You do have to wind it up to get some power thou.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 07:09 AM

That cam ran great until it went flat. TWICE ! I have a 493 in my 70 Charger, Edelbrock heads, 2" TTI headers and an Edelbrock performer RPM intake. The XE285 ran better than the '509 MP cam and gave a smoother idle, but after 450 miles, it lost an intake lobe. I pulled it and slipped in another. That one lasted about 1500 miles. YES I performed proper break in procedures and used The approved oil additives. I douched the motor out and put the USED 292/509 cam back in with new lifters. It runs great again and so far , every lobe is still hanging on. I dont know if I somehow had crappy luck TWICE in a row or what. I would try another Comp Cams product again, but next time I will try their PRO PLASMA treatment. Their ads claim that it increases the durability.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 02:24 PM

Quote:

That cam ran great until it went flat. TWICE ! I have a 493 in my 70 Charger, Edelbrock heads, 2" TTI headers and an Edelbrock performer RPM intake. The XE285 ran better than the '509 MP cam and gave a smoother idle, but after 450 miles, it lost an intake lobe. I pulled it and slipped in another. That one lasted about 1500 miles. YES I performed proper break in procedures and used The approved oil additives. I douched the motor out and put the USED 292/509 cam back in with new lifters. It runs great again and so far , every lobe is still hanging on. I dont know if I somehow had crappy luck TWICE in a row or what. I would try another Comp Cams product again, but next time I will try their PRO PLASMA treatment. Their ads claim that it increases the durability.

sounds like it may be a lifter bore issue with the high rate cam, kinda like the moparts enginemaster motor had
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 03:08 PM

I've used two of them, and I've liked both of them (I've used the .545" and .564" lift grinds). They are very noisy cams though, I think due to how quickly they open/close the valves (and, no, I don't have any weird lifter/rocker issues).
Try one of 'em out!
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 08:03 PM

XE295HL......IMHO about the best all-around cam for a 500" stroker street engine.
Brutal mid range torque.

I used that cam for 2 years until I actually sheared off the dowel.....Don't ask me what kinda mess that made!
Posted By: radar

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 08:11 PM

I have the xe275hl in a small block stroker. Great hot street cam in my application.
Posted By: MoparJ

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 08:45 PM

I run a XE268 in one of my 318s. Decent low end, but makes most of its power at mid and high range and will wind up. Not too radical, nice, mean idle. I like the cam. They are noisy, though, especially when cold and when at a consistant RPM, like 2000-2700 rpm.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 08:46 PM

What kind of rpms are you guys getting out of the 285 and 295hl? I've read some guys say the hi-rate of lift cams like these tend to fall off above 5000. Will they do 6k or 6500?
Posted By: RacerGofKGB

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/02/10 11:28 PM

Quote:

XE295HL......IMHO about the best all-around cam for a 500" stroker street engine.
Brutal mid range torque.

Thats the one i have in my stroker. I havnt fired it up yet, so i have no worthwhile advice, but it sounded like the way to go when i bought it.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/03/10 12:26 AM

I am using a 284XE in my small block and it pulls hard from 1500-6200 at which point the heavy valves in my Indybrock heads overpower the hydraulic lifters and valve springs. I've put about 40,000 miles on it and so far so good, all the lobes seem to be OK. FWIW I was a little leery of the HL series. I figured that if the standard XE series was designed for GM lifters than it should live an easier life with the .904 Mopar lifters.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy ca - 03/03/10 12:31 AM

They make noise
You hear it---it is there
On the dyno they do crazy stuff--One RPM great --next level RPM goes weird--overall you are getting what the computer says works and graphs out right--in the real world you get a lobe that is using every mm of the lifter adding to the chance that you will have cam/lobe/wear issues--the real ADVANTAGE to a Mopar .904 lifter is that we had way more diameter than GM and Ford so we had a sort of "mushroom" lifter but with lobes made to take ( for computed figures sake ) the entire diameter--we gain on paper but not so much in the real world and we GIVE away the BEST advantage a Mopar has. Just my BS opinion but I have built more than one
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 03/03/10 12:35 AM

Quote:

What kind of rpms are you guys getting out of the 285 and 295hl? I've read some guys say the hi-rate of lift cams like these tend to fall off above 5000. Will they do 6k or 6500?

Was shifting at 5900 and trapping at 6300.
That was with the XE295HL. Certainly didn't "fall off"!!!
Posted By: 1970Moparmann

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/19/10 06:10 PM

I have the above cam with a .564" lift. I adjusted the push rods and rockers twice now and it is one full turn after zero lash. I've read where the valve train is very noisy with this lift of cam, but wanted to post some video to get opinions. Based on what I've read on Moparts and via google searches, this may be normal?

I have Smith Brother push rods/Indy Roller Rockers

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/19/10 06:15 PM

I ran the 285 cam in the 493 in my Charger. Great sound, great power.....BUT both wiped cam lobes even with careful prep and break in. The second cam was actually over the top as far as installation, cam lube, break in additives and Royal Purple oil. STILL with box stock Eddy heads and springs, FAIL. I deferred to the Mopar 509. It makes less power, but it still has all 16 lobes.

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/19/10 09:20 PM

Quote:

I ran the 285 cam in the 493 in my Charger. Great sound, great power.....BUT both wiped cam lobes even with careful prep and break in. The second cam was actually over the top as far as installation, cam lube, break in additives and Royal Purple oil. STILL with box stock Eddy heads and springs, FAIL. I deferred to the Mopar 509. It makes less power, but it still has all 16 lobes.

My car runs so good though, that I would be surprised that the cam is bad. I just did some more carb adjustments and have it running the best so far. It hauls, plenty of power, torque, but the damn noise.
Posted By: eightlitermopar

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/19/10 10:01 PM

I have a comp XE262 cam in my 383. It is a tad on the conservative side, will be going up to the XE268 (which I have already laying around).

I like the cams, a little flat down low for my heavy 71 B body, but I do like the driveability.

I would recommed them!

eight
Posted By: thedriver

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/19/10 10:53 PM

use a 285Hl in my 340, pulls hard to 6800, generally shift 6500. idles at 850 with a 750 mighty demon. in a 340 the 285HL is about as big as i'd go with a street cam.
makes way more power than my old xe268 cam.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/19/10 11:38 PM

The good ones are the roller versions.

Not to stir the pot any, but given all the flat tappet cam failures we hear of on here (and they are A LOT) it boggles the mind why people even bother...

And this is not to say I am any better. I've wiped them too. I'll NEVER use a flat tappet cam again.

Yeah it's expensive to go roller, but chances of having any kind of problem are extremely slim. To me that makes it worth the extra coin. Just my thought on it.
Posted By: ohiodemon

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/20/10 12:31 AM

i run the xe-284 in my built 360 demon. excellent cam.
been in that motor for 9 years.
zero problems.
mean nasty sounding cam.
i like it.

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/20/10 02:51 AM

BigNozzle has a great point... cam failures have ME more than ready to step up to a roller....once the 509 starts to go.

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/20/10 01:14 PM

Quote:

I have the above cam with a .564" lift. I adjusted the push rods and rockers twice now and it is one full turn after zero lash. I've read where the valve train is very noisy with this lift of cam, but wanted to post some video to get opinions. Based on what I've read on Moparts and via google searches, this may be normal?

I have Smith Brother push rods/Indy Roller Rockers

***CLICK ON PICTURE FOR VIDEO***

So your saying it sounds like a lobe is gone on mine? The only problem I have is it runs so good. I do have low vacuum at only 7, but I thought this is typical with a high lift cam.
Posted By: moper

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/20/10 02:15 PM

Like anything else, there's consrvative people and not so conservative. The less conservative one is, the more "perfect" everything else has to be. That means as the rate of lift rises with the mopar design, things like spring pressures, rocker geometry, oil clearances, lifter bore size and angle, lifter rotation... All those things get much more imperative to get right to have no issues. The XE line is a great line of cams. They will be noisey from about the XE268H up. If you want quiet get an older grind and they'll be quiet. I loved Crane for that reason. Biggest killer of these cams is lack of rotation (lifter boores too loose or not angles properly) and too weak a spring (Edelbrocks are just adequate for many of these cams. You can't use ".600 lift" as a spec and think all's hunky dory.)
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/21/10 08:51 PM

I'm running the XE294 .519 int .524 exh. This is in a 494 stroker. I'm running a K 5 speed and 3:23 rear gears. This is in a 72 'Cuda. It has ok street manners and is turning 117 mph in the quarter, it has a mean 3rd gear, so overall I'm happy with it. Its been in the car for 10 years. My heads are Muscle Motors bracket iron heads. If and when I change cams I'm going with a roller - I've never wiped a lobe in an engine (lucky I guess). I used to build engines for the circle track racers and proper breakin and attention to detail is vital.
Posted By: James74

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/22/10 12:18 AM

I've got the 275hl in my 451. .525 lift, and idles smoother than my old 383 with the .474 purple cam. Tons of torque. It is noisy, though. You can't really hear it in the car, but under the hood it kinda sounds like a diesel drivetrain. I'm running the crane ductile adjustables on eddy heads...
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/22/10 12:01 PM

x2 on the step up to roller

I read enuff on here about flat lobes

I wont use comp cams as they are the ones I have read to much about going flat

I have 3 used rollers now and have swaped all of them at least 2x and not a problem yet

now if I could just make up my mind on which one I want to keep in there

my worthless
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/22/10 02:06 PM

Why would these cams be noisy? Aren't they hydraulics?

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/22/10 03:36 PM

They are noisey because not all hydraulics are the same. Factory type cams and lifters are quiet. Most older cam gerinds (until they get fairly large) are also quiet because they use stock type lifters. But when the rate of lift goes up (ala Comp's XE line, lunati's VooDoo, some Engle lobe designs, etc) the lifter has to be made differently to handle the spring pressures those fast ramp profiles need. If the lifter preload is perfect, usually they are only slightly noisey. Quieter than a solid flat tappet. If the repload is not perfect, there's not a problem, but they get noisey. Add adjustable rockers and the thin aluminum valve covers and they get rather loud. I like the sound but some guys don't or don't know it's normal.
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/22/10 06:10 PM

I thought that the XE series is not a .904 but an .875. That's what the master catalouge said a couple of years back.

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/22/10 10:03 PM

The XE "HL" cams are the .904 lifter. The others are based on the .842 lifter's maximum rate of lift. least that's how I understand it.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy ca - 06/22/10 10:53 PM

Quote:

... On the dyno they do crazy stuff--One RPM great --next level RPM goes weird...

Yeah, I've seen examples of that, too. IMO, they're too aggressive for hydraulic lobes and cause valve train instabilities at high RPM.
Hydraulic cams really benefit from having smooth lobes, even if they don't squeeze out all the potential lift possible.

When the XE cams first came out, a Chevy-only magazine did a buildup w/ one and the valve train "crash" above about 5500 RPM was obvious. They actually swapped the XE cam for one of the "old style" Comp hydraulic grinds and the engine picked up across the curve and gained 500+ RPM before things got noticeably unstable.

I'm surprised Comp didn't threaten to pull their advertising, considering how poorly that article made the "new and improved" XE cam look.

All that extra noise should tell you something.
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/22/10 11:13 PM

Well...OK if they are noisy why use them at all?

If a valvetrain is noisy anyway it might as well be a solid lifter.

Re: Has anybody here used the comp cam xtreme energy cams? - 06/23/10 01:51 AM

What does the noise tell you Cap'n? I agree that if you use the wrong spring they will cause problems. But so wil any cam using not enough spring. So MP cams with .028 lash are quiet? Large cams in the 80s with Rhodes lifters were quiet?

We use them because of the power, or more importantly the better range of power, such designs yield. I have a few customers who want things silent. But for most of the people who are running headers and open element air cleaners a little valvetrain noise is just more music. These are not sounding like a 6 vylinder that never had the rockers adjusted in 50 years. They have a slight tick I'd equate to the sound an exh pulse in the header primary has on some cars. It's not bad unless you ignore things like proper pushrod length and preload.
© 2024 Moparts Forums