Moparts

Chaning Center Section - Housing and yolk interchange?

Posted By: 440charger70

Chaning Center Section - Housing and yolk interchange? - 02/28/10 01:24 AM

I found a good deal on a local center section for sale. I currently have a 489 housing with a big yolk and will be changing to a 741 housing that currently has a small yolk. My question is:

1.) Will the 741 housing bolt in place of the 489 housing or will I need extra parts?
2.) Will the yolk from the 489 housing bolt right onto the 741 housing in place of the small yolk?

Thanks!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Chaning Center Section - Housing and yolk interchange? - 02/28/10 01:30 AM

Yes, center sections will swap, you will need a gasket though. Not sure about yokes though, IIRC, the diff is spline count for yokes, not housing number.

If all else fails, they make a conversion U joint to hook a small joint D/D to a big joint yoke, or vice versa.
Posted By: elmor

Re: Chaning Center Section - Housing and yolk interchange? - 02/28/10 01:32 AM

The center section will interchange with what you have. I am not certain on the yoke, but they make U-joints that have both sizes on them. You can use the larger end in your driveline, and the smaller side to fit your yoke.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Chaning Center Section - Housing and yolk interchange? - 02/28/10 09:55 PM

Both the 489 and the 741 came with either 10-spline pinions or 29-spline pinions, the 10-spline will have a 1 1/8" hex nut, the 29-spline will have a 1 1/4" nut.
© 2024 Moparts Forums