Moparts

Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing

Posted By: 70BIRD

Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 08:08 PM

I'm putting my front suspension back together (70RR)and I'm using all new Moog components including the Moog problem solver UCA bushings. Three out of the four bushings I pressed in with no issues but the fourth is very loose in fact I can push it in by hand. Does this mean the control arm is shot or is there a fix for this or is this even an issue?

Thanks,

Paul
Posted By: cloneguy

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 08:14 PM

If all four bushings are the same, I'd shop for a new control arm. If you use it as is, you might lose "control".

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 08:20 PM

Thanks for the response, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. I'd prefer to get a new one then, do you know the best place to go for one?

Paul
Posted By: BDW

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 08:38 PM

Here's what you need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/American-...sQ5fAccessories

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 08:48 PM

Thanks cnxt, I've never seen those bushings before, they seem awfully big (i.d. and o.d.) but maybe it's just the picture. You just press everything together?

Thanks,

Paul
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 08:49 PM

Did you measure the bushings outer casing to compare size? You may have a factory defect in the bushing or the control arm. If the bushing is the same size as the others, you could weld a bead on the inside perimeter of the control arm and file it down to the correct size.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 08:55 PM

If you can push the bushing in without a press replace the control arm. I would not think twice. There might be fixes but why worry about them as you drive the car?

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/27/10 09:07 PM

Frankenduster - I didn't think about the bushing being bad so I'll measure it and see if that's part of the problem but I am going to go with replacing the arm, seems like the best thing to do.

Thanks Guys!
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/28/10 04:04 AM

Quote:

Did you measure the bushings outer casing to compare size? You may have a factory defect in the bushing or the control arm. If the bushing is the same size as the others, you could weld a bead on the inside perimeter of the control arm and file it down to the correct size.

I bought 4 UCA bushings from autozone a while ago and the first pressed in too easy so I checked the others and it turned out that 3 of the 4 were undersized compared to the ones that I removed. I guess they had a bad/undersized run of bushings that nobody caught.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/28/10 07:53 AM

Quote:

Here's what you need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/American-...sQ5fAccessories

That part was never meant to repair a loose bushing.

Posted By: therocks

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/28/10 12:54 PM

Some one was selling new arms on Ebay.They were a decent price even.As far as the bushing be loos Id check the diamater.The car wont moose control if it is loose.You will have problems keeping the alingment in spec though.I have seen some arms that had a crack in them allowing the bushing to be loose.Rocky

Re: Loose Upper Control Arm Bushing - 02/28/10 01:53 PM

Well I measured the bushings this morning and they all appear to be the same diameter so the problem is definitely the control arm. I went on e bay and I see the new arms for $119.00 a pair with ball joints and bushings installed. That seems like a great price but the only thing that seems odd is in the description the seller says they got them as a "mystery delivery", what the heck does that mean? Do you think there could be any quality issues?

Thanks,

Paul
© 2024 Moparts Forums