Moparts

Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM

Posted By: 67Satty

Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 03:46 AM

Will factory kickdown linkage work with a Performer RPM intake? The car is a '67 Satellite 440/727. I don't have the stock kickdown linkage around to try so that's why I ask so I know if I will have to order some kind of cable kickdown setup. Thanks!
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 04:58 AM

With a little fab-work, you can make it happen. Here's mine on a low-deck. I wanted a stock look (and I'm sorta cheap, so I tend to work with what I've got). This started as a stock 2-bbl setup. I extended the height of the stock throttle cable bracket, and bent the top kick-down rod to fit the extra ht. Then had to add threaded rod onto the end of the original rod to make it reach. Seems to work perfectly.

Attached picture 5830947-linkage.jpg
Posted By: I go fast

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 02:16 PM

Quote:

Will factory kickdown linkage work with a Performer RPM intake? The car is a '67 Satellite 440/727. I don't have the stock kickdown linkage around to try so that's why I ask so I know if I will have to order some kind of cable kickdown setup. Thanks!

There is no such animal as kick down linkage.Throttle press linkage yes,kick down linkage,no.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 03:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is no such animal as kick down linkage.Throttle press linkage yes,kick down linkage,no.

Of course, if you disconnect the throttle pressure linkage, the transmission will no longer "kick down."

Gensrud's solution is the same one I've done several times. Modify the stock pieces to get the lengths and angles right; helps if you have a welder.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 07:22 PM

http://arengineering.com/throttlebracket/Tbracket/tbracketframe.html
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 08:26 PM

"Of course, if you disconnect the throttle pressure linkage, the transmission will no longer "kick down."

Right, but it will fry becasuse of low pressure.
Posted By: I go fast

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 09:29 PM

Quote:

"Of course, if you disconnect the throttle pressure linkage, the transmission will no longer "kick down."

And it won't down shift either!
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 09:38 PM

Let's play nice children. The stock linkage will work. You need the 3 peice linkage. It won't work with the single rod version. I have it on mine and it works perfect and looks stock.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/26/10 10:21 PM

The one piece rod will work with most anything if you lengthen it and use the correct throttle pressure lever.

Attached picture 5832049-66342.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 01:12 AM

Firewall clearance dictates whether or not the one-piece rod will work.
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 01:52 AM

I run a 3 piece with my performer RPM. All I did was bend the rod attached to the carb and twist the adjustment nearly all the way out. I maybe have 3 threads left go but I get the right clearance/adjustment.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And it won't down shift either!

If you come to a stop it will . . . .
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 04:17 AM

Quote:

http://arengineering.com/throttlebracket/Tbracket/tbracketframe.html

This looks like a winner. And they call it kickdown linkage too.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 05:16 AM

Ever see the term "kickdown linkage" in a FSM?
Posted By: demonH1B

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 04:35 PM

Not Mopar FSM.

It's to late and there are to many to retrain.

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 04:40 PM

Who cares what you want to call it? We all know what he means and wasting time with grammer doesn't answer his question.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 04:47 PM

Because it has a correct name and it should be used. You don't call an airplane an engine powered bird.

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 05:12 PM

Because we still have people that think the "linkage" isn't
necessary if you manually downshift (kickdown).
There were transmissions built with "kickdown
linkage" and other shifts were controlled by a vacuum modulator, but not by Chrysler.

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 05:28 PM

Better call Herb's and let them know all there linkage listings are incorrect. 440 4 BBL 3 PC KICKDOWN LINKAGE EARLY STYLE Details

440 4 BBL 3 PIECE KICKDOWN LINKAGE EARLY STYLE. FITS 66-68 "B" BODY W/ORIGINAL 3 PIECE STYLE KICKDOWN LINKAGE. KIT INCLUDES LINKAGE W/UPPER & LOWER BELLCRANKS, TRANSMISSION THROTTLE LEVER, THROTTLE CABLE MOUNTING BRACKET, RETURN SPRING & HARDWARE.
Price: $350.00

Attached picture 5833523-44014B3PEWB-s.jpg
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 05:41 PM

Does the throttle pressure linkage also operate the kickdown function? Are there kickdown valves, kickdown servos, and is the front band also called the kickdown band in the FSM?

The answer to these questions is Yes. If the throttle pressure rod did not have anything to do with the kickdown function then maybe then it would be a misnomer.

In short, this is nothing more than formal semantics. There is nothing lexically or conceptually wrong with calling the throttle pressure linkage/rod the kickdown rod. The important thing is that we all know what you mean.

My

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 05:45 PM

I agree with you Doug, this started long ago
with the parts vendors. I guess kickdown is
easier to print/ to say, but it's wrong.
Chrysler has called it throttle pressure
linkage since the first automatics came
out back in the mid 50's.
As long as we all know it has to be there,
unless you use a full manual valve body,
we're ok. We need to help the GM & Ford
guys who are making the switch.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Factory Kickdown Linkage and Performer RPM - 02/27/10 06:02 PM

Quote:

Mancini Racing and Hughes Engines as well as other vendors have a taller throttle bracket that fits the Performer RPM intake and holds the 3 piece factory linkage. AR018 for the RB blocks and AR036 for the B blocks. I never designed a taller bracket for the small block engines.
© 2024 Moparts Forums