Moparts

When is a steering column considered collapsed?

Posted By: NAS Backyard

When is a steering column considered collapsed? - 02/26/10 02:50 AM

I'm replacing my steering box in my 69RR and I was reading the instructions (imagine that) It says to remove the column to avoid damage to the energy absorbing steering column. I got the gear box out without doing that. I'm pretty sure this part is suppose to slide back and forth to allow removal but I'm just trying to clarify. I "rebuilt" this part with a kit I bought from one of the vendors.It consisted of a pin,spring, some half round discs and a rubber boot. Everything is tight. I was thinking the webbed section under the dash was the collapsable part of the colunm. I was just going to install the gear, line everything up straight, slide the sleeve onto the shaft and put the pin in it. Any input on this? Thanks

Attached picture 5830655-asteering007.jpg
Posted By: sthemi

Re: When is a steering column considered collapsed? - 02/26/10 04:52 AM

The shaft that goes into the coupler has a shear/ slip joint inside the column, that if bumped or in an accident will slide instead of impaling the driver with the column shaft, there is also a wire grater section of the jacket that can collapse to allow energy to be absorbed..
There should be no sliding of the shaft into the column on a good column, if the shaft slips easily into the column the safety capsule is broken and needs repair..
Here is a photo of the slip joint..

Attached picture 5830932-PICT2530.jpg
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: When is a steering column considered collapsed? - 02/26/10 06:29 AM

OK, Thanks! Looks like mine is good to go. I got everything in and hooked up but forgot to remove the hose fitting on the old gear box so I had to rob one off the Challenger. Still need to order a dipstick tube.
© 2024 Moparts Forums