Moparts

Engine run-in stands

Posted By: slowpoke

Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 12:15 AM

Looking for something to do and have decided to build a run-in stand. I have a framework pretty much done but would like to see some others to compare with it before continuing and to pick up any tips/pointers. Also, do I need to include a ballast in the ignition??
Thanks in advance!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 12:23 AM

Here's a video of ours...we have less than 100 bucks in it since we had most everything for it already lying around (starter, bellhousing, ignition stuff)

Yeah, we used a factory Chrysler ignition with the ballast resistor. We also added a tach after we shot the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_W2PLpVtJU
Posted By: badrap

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 12:41 AM

i am working on making one now also. got a 5.7 hemi and i want to make sure i have everything right before i pull my car apart to put it in.so i will be watching too
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 12:48 AM

Here's a shot of a friends stand he built that is adjustable for different engines. Shown here with my engine setup but it normally has a regular Mopar electronic ignition setup.

Attached picture 5824054-HPIM2729.JPG

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 02:41 AM

PC-Charger, that's a great setup and answers my next question about using an auto trans. Dustergirl340, your set up looks about what mine is heading toward and seems to work great which makes me feel better about my design (watch out for that fan blade!!) Thanks for the responses.

Anyone else???
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 02:55 AM

Some pics of mine. Pardon the Chevs. I make money building Chevs to buy MOPAR stuff for myself. Some pics are while building, others in use. I used an 'over seas' shipping crate for the basis. Cut down build time not having to fab whole frame work.

Attached picture 5824371-IMG.jpg

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 02:56 AM

more

Attached picture 5824373-IMG_0004.jpg

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 02:57 AM

in process of building

Attached picture 5824375-IMG_0004.jpg

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 02:58 AM

'nuther

Attached picture 5824378-IMG_0005.jpg

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 03:02 AM

Chapper, do you have a ground from the battery to the stand itself, to the engine or both??

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 03:03 AM

Quote:

Chapper, do you have a ground from the battery to the stand itself, to the engine or both??

Both

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 03:05 AM

some more

Attached picture 5824396-IMG_0006.jpg
Posted By: six-barrel

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/23/10 03:11 AM

To add to PC-Chargers comments:

It's an empty tranny case and a junk torque convertor cut in half (then balanced).

Works great had Hemi's, big blocks and small block on it. Nice way to breakin a cam and check for leaks.

Next step is a water brake to apply load to seat rings, etc., etc..
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Engine run-in stands - 02/24/10 12:05 PM

Quote:

Dustergirl340, your set up looks about what mine is heading toward and seems to work great which makes me feel better about my design (watch out for that fan blade!!) Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, we considered using one of the Chevy HHR electric fans but just slapped on that fan instead, with a spare radiator we already had.

The stand was very low cost and effective, we've already had three engines on it and broken in two cams with it. Makes it nice when you have to remove inner springs during a cam break in, much easier than doing it in the car.

We made the stand all bolt together too, which makes it easy to take apart and store in the attic. And its adjustable so we can fit a big block or whatever we want on it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums