Moparts

904 lockup mod part number

Posted By: denfireguy

904 lockup mod part number - 02/21/10 09:36 PM

I have a 904 with a lockup torque converter. I need the part number for the new piston spring and cover that raises the speed where the lock up occurs.
I am about to rebuild it and figure it is best to install the modification while it is in pieces.
I am putting in new frictions and steels as well as a TF-2 shift modification kit for my Cuda.
Thanks for your help.
Craig
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: 904 lockup mod part number - 02/21/10 09:39 PM

Give a call to smrtransmissions.com

very friendly, they only deal with mopar trans

Dan
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: 904 lockup mod part number - 02/22/10 01:57 AM

Quote:

Give a call to smrtransmissions.com

very friendly, they only deal with mopar trans

Dan

Thanks, I should have asked that question in my post.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 904 lockup mod part number - 02/22/10 10:23 PM

Here's the factory part, I doubt you'll find one.

Attached picture 5823688-4186185kit.jpg
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: 904 lockup mod part number - 02/23/10 12:33 AM

Thanks John!

That plate doesn't look hard to duplicate. If there was a way to find out some spec's on that spring (spring rate and static height) and duplicate it that would be cool too.

Re: 904 lockup mod part number - 02/23/10 02:52 AM

Quote:

Here's the factory part, I doubt you'll find one.

Thanks for your help. You are right. Found where one used to be at Brad's NOS that Google brought up. Not on there page anymore.
Craig

Re: 904 lockup mod part number - 03/05/10 03:32 AM

Thought I would post more information that I found researching the Mopar modification in two service bulletins concerning shudder in 1978 era A904s with locking torque converters.
The kit mentioned in my original post is long gone, no one has it in stock. The part number of the spring is 4202672 and can be found sporadically. It is in both bulletins for lockup shudder. Harder to find is the vented lock up body, its part number is 4302209. It was in the second bulletin.
A workaround is the TF-TC shift improvement kit. If you have the unvented lock up module, step 6 drills two small holes that accomplishes the same thing bleeding off pressure.
Step 10 replaces the spring in the lock up module that is the subject of both of the bulletins, including the vented lock up module not modified in step 6.
The rest of the kit addresses the other common ills. I think I will go with the TF-2 kit for the rest and will just do the TF-TC mods for the lockup shudder raising the lockup to 40 Mph. It comes with some nifty drill bits for other uses.
Hope this helps someone out.
Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums