Moparts

850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's

Posted By: Dougsmopars

850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 02:33 AM

What do you guys think of the 850 Thermo quads? What are the pro's and con's? How are they for performence on a street car?
Posted By: NotEnufGarage

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 03:12 AM

That's the stock carb on my Li'l Red Express and I like it. It took a little bit of tuning to get it dialed in, but once you know the in's and out's of the TQ, and pick up one or two special tools, you'll find it's a very versatile carb and very easy to tweak.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 04:43 AM

Core, about $20

kits about $30.

2 hrs of your time to rebuild

Beating a $600 holley HP...

PRICELESS!

Ok they may not really beat it but can definately run just as good and it will run better on a too small motor and it is a lot lighter. Pretty much a no brainer to me
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 05:30 AM

Great for driveability, I daily drove my thermoquad spring-fall for 6 years. My only complaint is I always found that bog when you nail the throttle open from a dead stop to be very difficult to tune out. Or I'd get it tuned out, temperature outside would drop and it would be right back there. To be expected I guess but still annoying.
Posted By: ademon

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 06:05 AM

I'm about to use one on my hot 360, its a 850 with the choke removed so it flows about 910cfm. Hope it works as good as my holley 750 with annular boosters.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 06:56 AM

Quote:

Great for driveability, I daily drove my thermoquad spring-fall for 6 years. My only complaint is I always found that bog when you nail the throttle open from a dead stop to be very difficult to tune out. Or I'd get it tuned out, temperature outside would drop and it would be right back there. To be expected I guess but still annoying.

Simple adjustment of the secondary air-door ......

WITH the proper tool ....

Available HERE ....
Posted By: quickd100

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 11:35 AM

It's the nicest, most flexable carb Mopar ever installed on one of their motors. Great fuel economy possible with the cfm capacity for any size motor. It's to bad the aftermarket never picked up on it, it could have rivaled Holley as an aftermarket performance carb.Dave
Posted By: 340rocks

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 01:14 PM

drill the squirters to .33 with hobby hand drill no bigger I have one on my 340 runs just as good as my holley 3310 also look in unlawfis race only under tq help
Posted By: patrick

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 01:44 PM

I'd run one if I could find a decent dual plane intake for a small block & spread bore.
Posted By: JonC

Re: 850 TQ Thoughts? Pro's, con's - 02/10/10 03:10 PM

Quote:

I'd run one if I could find a decent dual plane intake for a small block & spread bore.

Eddy LD340 and hog it out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums