Moparts

Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump??

Posted By: 65Coronet7165

Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 01:04 AM

There was a discussion on the C Body Dry Dock board not long ago about aftermarket aluminum water pumps for big blocks. Seems the stuff out there does not do as good a job of cooling as the OEM cast iron pump does. I started a similar thread on that forum. So far, I found out that Mopar Performance makes an aluminum pump that is a similar design to the cast iron one. Looks like that might be the best bet...Thought I'd ask you guys as well...

I've got a 67 300 'vert with the 440 High Po engine and it does not have A/C. She kinda runs hot in the summer when stuck at traffic lights, so if I decide to replace the pump with an aluminum one, it has to perform as well or BETTER than the OEM big block pump.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 01:54 AM

The Edelbrock pump should work fine. Milodon also makes a water pump for the big block.
Posted By: jvcuda

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 01:57 AM

Been using a Flow Kooler pump on my 440 for years now and even with under drive pulleys its been ok.
26 inch radiator,clutch fan,stock shroud,160 thermostat,346 heads,3600 stall conv,3.91 gears
Posted By: Neil

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 02:01 AM

I have not seen an Edlebrock BB pump in person, but I do own their small block version and the blade design is very different from a stock pump. Even the Milodon pump looks very close to an oem pump.

If you buy an edlebrock pump be sure to pick up a hi-flow t-stat to go with it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 02:15 AM

Quote:

She kinda runs hot in the summer when stuck at traffic lights,

any possibility it's an airflow problem rather than coolant flow?
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 02:58 AM

I haved used the Mopar Performance Big Block aluminum housings on quite a few of my cars. You also want to check your pump itself. Someone else can correct me here but I am pretty sure I have seen them with different number of blades on the pump itself?
I may be wrong but they may be different flow pumps?

Joe Sr.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 03:07 AM

The OEM pump for a/c cars has more fins. Thats what we use on all BB mopar motors. Works great and you can get them at any parts store.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 04:26 AM

Stock pump does the job for mine and thousands of other big blocks out there.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 01:17 PM

Quote:

There was a discussion on the C Body Dry Dock board not long ago about aftermarket aluminum water pumps for big blocks. Seems the stuff out there does not do as good a job of cooling as the OEM cast iron pump does. I started a similar thread on that forum. So far, I found out that Mopar Performance makes an aluminum pump that is a similar design to the cast iron one. Looks like that might be the best bet...Thought I'd ask you guys as well...

I've got a 67 300 'vert with the 440 High Po engine and it does not have A/C. She kinda runs hot in the summer when stuck at traffic lights, so if I decide to replace the pump with an aluminum one, it has to perform as well or BETTER than the OEM big block pump.

Eddy pump is a more modern design (cast iron wheel with curved fins). It's also more expensive.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 02:21 PM

overheating at lights is more than likely NOT a waterpump issue. It's more likely an airflow issue. Do you have a fan shroud? If not then get one.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/07/10 09:02 PM

I use GMB brand big block water pumps.
Posted By: 65Coronet7165

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/08/10 12:30 AM

The issue here is not really about overheating. I've been dealing with the car getting hot at traffic lights during the summer for 3 years now. Right now, I'm thinking of replacing the water pump for other reasons...trying to do my research before I do this..

IF I replace the water pump, I'd like to get an aluminum one to save some weight. There was a discussion on Al water pumps on another forum...seemed like most posters did not think the Al pumps (aftermarket) were as good as the stock cast iron pump.

So my question is simple, despite all the words...IS there an Aluminum water pump out there that FUNCTIONS as well or better than the stock OEM cast iron pump....on Big Blocks..

That's it!!!
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/08/10 01:48 AM

Your only looking at a couple of pounds difference in weight. The AL pumps aren't that much lighter then stock cast one's. Not worth the difference in price and most don't do the job as well.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Anyone make a GOOD Aluminum H2O pump?? - 02/08/10 01:52 AM

GMB is alum
© 2024 Moparts Forums