Moparts

OBD I scanner recommendation

Posted By: pengwin

OBD I scanner recommendation - 01/30/10 04:28 PM

Any recommendations on a good, affordable OBDI scanner for general home-garage use? I need it to synch the timing as well as for general diagnostic use on a '95 dakota.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 01/30/10 04:44 PM

95 should be OBDII...
Posted By: pengwin

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 01/30/10 08:21 PM

1995 was the last year for the OBD I. The OBD II wasn't intro'd until 1996.

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 01/30/10 08:31 PM

Quote:

1995 was the last year for the OBD I. The OBD II wasn't intro'd until 1996.

Well them Mopar was behind the times as most manufacturers were switching to OBDII in 94-95... Though thinking about it that kinda fits, every other manufacturer had EFI years before Mopar...
Posted By: dave571

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 01/31/10 03:17 AM

MOST were obdII by 95.

It varies a bit with manufacturer, model etc. I have worked on 1995 gm's, ford's, and mopar's that were obdI AND also 1995 gm's, ford's, and mopar's that were obdII.

Back to the original topic... that stuff is pretty out of date now. I'd look on ebag for an older unit that someone doesn't want much for.

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 01/31/10 03:58 AM

Quote:

MOST were obdII by 95.

It varies a bit with manufacturer, model etc. I have worked on 1995 gm's, ford's, and mopar's that were obdI AND also 1995 gm's, ford's, and mopar's that were obdII.

Back to the original topic... that stuff is pretty out of date now. I'd look on ebag for an older unit that someone doesn't want much for.

In 95 Ford was OBDII except for Mustang 5.0 which was being phased out and the Powerstroke & with the Powerstroke the OBDII plug was in place & wired-in.. After a visit to the dealer to be flashed they too would be OBDII...And the flash update was pretty well known to the Powerstroke owners cause the reflash would add about 60 lb/ft of torque & would actually significantly change the sound of the engine
Posted By: Coronet-R/T-Rag

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 02/01/10 01:57 AM

I agree with the ebay - craigslist - pawnshop route. I wouldn't pay more than $100. You should be able to get something good.
Posted By: rrunner

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 02/01/10 02:13 AM

It was a federal mandate to be OBD II no later than 1996.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 02/01/10 01:16 PM

Will a OBDII read a older OBDI vehicle?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 02/01/10 01:45 PM

I can't speak for other manufacturers but chrysler switched from OBD1 starting in 1995 with the new models such as Neons. In 1996 All cars had to be OBD2 compliant per a federal mandate.

And as far as I know none of the aftermkt scanners will read it all. If there is one I'd like to know about it.

Then the switch from OBD2 to CAN bus began about 2004

I was just looking at these.
I think the best bet is either #3140 or 3160 scanners .
Shop around these prices are easily beat.

http://www.canobd2.com/Products/Tools.aspx
Posted By: 360view

Re: OBD I scanner recommendation - 02/05/10 11:46 AM

I have quite a bit of experience with an OBD-I Actron Scantool CP9110 with the Chrysler cartridge CP9113 on my 1995 Ram 5.9V8

1995 was the last of OBD-I on Magnum 5.2/5.9 V8s in Rams

I bought this out of a Sears Roebuck 'scratch and dent' display for $106 for both the scantool and Chrysler cartridge, about the year 1997

The Actron Scantool CP9110 has been durable over 12 years, much of it riding in the truck enduring road vibrations and bumps

My complaints with it:

Sometimes the OBD-I data bus gets 'confused' and all you can do is re-boot the software and re-enter the vehicle data

When viewing multiple sensor data, the original Actron software writer wasted the top line of the small 5 line LCD display by permanently having the title 'Actron Scantool' there

This scantool will not let you make the 0 to minus 6 degrees of ignition timing adjustment that the official Chrysler DRB device for OBD-I allows

I have never done the 'sync' feature on the distributor, but if memory serves me right there is a test on the Actron for that

This Actron Scantool has an additional 'cartridge' that also allows generic OBD-II reading,
plus cartridges for Ford CP9112 & GM CP9111

I would like to buy the OBD-II cartridge,
if anyone spots one for sale.
© 2024 Moparts Forums