Moparts

Bearing surface and detonation question

Posted By: Chilort

Bearing surface and detonation question - 01/25/10 11:38 PM

I've heard that the bearing surface on an engine that has been experiencing serious detonation will look different than just a worn out bearing.

Any pictures?
Posted By: craigsmytcudas

Re: Bearing surface and detonation question - 01/26/10 12:23 AM

First look at a berring chart from any major brand good info , I find that cars with berring hammer will have what looks like rail road tracking on the back side .This can be seen on a berring thats been destroyed even an engine thats seen hydrolic and or methonal dumping . also some call it ruffles have ridges like the tater chips .c
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Bearing surface and detonation question - 01/26/10 12:54 AM

Quote:

I've heard that the bearing surface on an engine that has been experiencing serious detonation will look different than just a worn out bearing.

Any pictures?

The tops of the pistons often look like someone was beating on them with a ball peen hammer as well.
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Bearing surface and detonation question - 01/26/10 03:10 AM

I was under the impression that the bearing surface looked something like this.

Re: Bearing surface and detonation question - 01/26/10 03:49 AM

Flip it over and show a pic .c

Re: Bearing surface and detonation question - 01/26/10 03:58 AM

The pic looks like its stacking all the way around like its running hot or oil starving .
old school builders clearenced engines and used heavy oil and stacking berrings would look like the one you posted . If hammered it would bronze in the center and also egg the rod after a while .c
© 2024 Moparts Forums