Moparts

Header Gaskets

Posted By: RBSat66

Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 12:44 AM

I keep getting header leaks!!! Does anyone know what the best header gasket to use is?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 01:18 AM

alot of people have reported (on here) that remflex is the best hands down.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 01:30 AM

A little Hi-Temp copper rtv applied to any gasket really helps them seal.

Copper rtv with copper gaskets is bulletproof, and reusable many times over.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 01:31 AM

I've been using the copper gaskets from SCE for many years with no problems.I've used them on 2 different engines,still work great.
Posted By: RBSat66

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 01:38 AM

That was the gasket I was thinking of and couldn't remember the name. Thanks for the information.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 01:38 AM

I found the crush type copper gaskets to work like crap. No way I can torq those header bolts down tight enough to crush the gasket to get a good seal.
Posted By: cornet684me

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 02:54 AM

this is a trick a buddy told me and i used it and for 2.5years no leaks, buy 2sets of the mr. gasket header gasket not copper, take black rtv and glue both sets together, let them set over night, then install the next day, snug them up on the first, do not over tight, then after you crank the engine and say drive to store and back, while the engine is still hot, go over and back sure all the bolts are snug, the you should be okay,
Posted By: therocks

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 11:56 AM

We use the Mr Gasket Ultra seals.Never any leaks.Ive even reused them.My kid finally had to replace one after 6 years and it was one that was reused.Rocky
Posted By: 1toolguy

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 01:04 PM

I got a year out of the last copper gaskets I tried. They started leaking again on the dyno, the shop owner told me to make a cut in the "spreader" between the tubes. Just a hacksaw width cut will allow everything to expand and contract seperately and keep the gasket from moving around and eventually leaking.

I haven't had time to try it yet but it makes sense to me.
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 01:04 PM

remflex
Posted By: 440Laser

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 03:53 PM

Percy multi layer aluminum. They will SEAL it and are reusable.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/24/10 04:28 PM

Some times cutting the header flanges make the problem worse rather than better. BTDT
Posted By: jbcuda

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/25/10 01:45 AM

i use remflex on my 440 with hooker headers have had no problems. amazon.com about 28.00 free shipping for a set. works for me
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/25/10 02:02 AM

I have raced many cars over the past years. All 440's or BB Stroker Engines. Some had the heavy Hooker fenderwell headers which are very hard on gaskets. If Felpro still makes them in their performance gaskets that is the ticket for you. They are not the ones that come in the full Gasket set. They are blue one piece. They are expensive but you will only buy one set and you will be able to re-use them year after year. I never put any sealers on them.
I wish I could remember the number for you!

Joe Sr.
Posted By: 383BeepBeep

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/25/10 02:28 AM

Remflex and forget about it.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/25/10 02:46 AM

I always make my own outta the Mr. gasket header material. Ive tried damn near every hemi header gasket and nothing lines up correctly so i just made my won
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/25/10 11:06 AM

Quote:

Some times cutting the header flanges make the problem worse rather than better. BTDT

Worked for me on a set of crappy Hookers.

What type of headers are they?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/25/10 03:22 PM

I run "Gibson" #9245 on my SB mag heads. Great fit - no leaks.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Header Gaskets - 01/25/10 06:35 PM

www.remflex.com
© 2024 Moparts Forums