Moparts

Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing!

Posted By: 1968RR

Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 05:47 PM

So I recently installed a new ignition system in my car, and finally (FINALLY!) got my car running again yesterday. The problem: the engine would run unless the initial timing was somewhere between 40 and 55 degrees, and even then it wouldn't run well.
The solution: switching the +/- wires that go from my Mallory 6AL ignition box to my distributor.
Evidently, Mallory's instructions have a misprint and the wiring is backwards. My Summit receipt mentioned a misprint regarding Chrysler set-ups but the notice ended abruptly after the words "should read as follows". Thanks, Summit.
Anyway, I'm just posting this in case anyone buys a MSD or Mallory ignition box and runs into a similar situation.
Posted By: Dr-Dave2

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 06:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up , I will have to look at mine (havent attemted to fire yet)

where can I find a correct wiring diagram?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 07:06 PM

Same thing happens with an MSD box. MSD's instructions were wrong for a long time.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 07:27 PM

Hmm, that might explain why a Mallory box i bought wouldn't work right.

What wires are wrong on the instructions?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 07:30 PM

The wiring diagram has distributor leads crossed. Whatever the instructions say, flip them and try again.

I found this out putting a MSD6AL on a car and the timing changed a bunch. Flipped the wires and it was spot on again.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 08:30 PM

MSD = Might-Sputter & Die
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 08:46 PM

Instructions had the wiring backwards . I bet some heads rolled over that gaff .
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 10:00 PM

Quote:

Instructions had the wiring backwards . I bet some heads rolled over that gaff .

no, Instructions STILL HAVE the wiring backwards. i just went and looked. you can see on the instructions where they say to hook the + side to the Neg lead and vice verca
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 10:14 PM

Quote:

Hmm, that might explain why a Mallory box i bought wouldn't work right.

What wires are wrong on the instructions?

That may explain why I've got a mallory box in my garage that the previous owner claimed he couldn't get to work right...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/19/10 10:16 PM

Quote:

they say to hook the + side to the Neg lead and vice verca

You'd think a proof reader woulda caught that. I cant think of any circuit type right offhand where positive goes to negative
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/20/10 12:48 AM

So, Violet +, Green - on the dizzy??

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/20/10 03:30 AM

look here http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions(1).pdf page says violet goes to orange

look here figure 20 http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/6852M_6853M.pdf says violet goes to black

look here figure 21 http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/1643.pdf shows violet goes to black BUT the polarities are wrong

SO, VIOLET GOES TO ORANGE (+ to +) and GREEN GOES TO BLACK (- to -)
Posted By: Blue69Charger

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/20/10 04:27 AM

I bought a electronic distributor plug from the wrecking yard off a 70's van. It has a black and brown wire. I followed the mallory directions thinking the brown wire was originally orange and it worked fine. I just looked at my new accel performance replacement distributor and it looks like the wire colors on the plug are reversed. Black goes to orange and brown goes to black. Maybe the new distributors are backwards compared to the factory ones?
Posted By: bigslant6fan

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/23/10 11:29 PM

Some aftermarket distributor pick up coils are wired wrong,and will cause the same problems with the stock ignition system.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/24/10 01:49 AM

I have a MSD distributor and 6Al box, so does that wire switch apply to me also? My timing is like 50 plus degrees too.

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/24/10 02:16 AM

Quote:

I have a MSD distributor and 6Al box, so does that wire switch apply to me also? My timing is like 50 plus degrees too.

swap em and see
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/24/10 02:50 AM

Quote:

swap em and see

Will it hurt anything?

Re: Mallory 6AL owners: 50 degrees initial timing! - 01/24/10 03:00 AM

no. i did it the other day. check youyr timing rheap the pickup wires. if the timing retards, then you had it wrong and it should be left swapped.

if the timing advances, then you had it right to begin with

read this https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5747701
© 2024 Moparts Forums