Moparts

Rolling a bead into copper pipe

Posted By: Chilort

Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/13/10 10:55 PM

I've got a '68 Sweptline and I'm replacing the heater control valve and the heater core. The control valves aren't made any more. I have to use a generic control valve and add a tube to it to go through the firewall. The stock tubes have a lip rolled into the pipe.

I've been to machine shops, old school car shops, and radiator shops and no one seems to have the equipment to roll the bead into the copper pipe to make it like stock.

I know that:
1) Eastwood sells equipment to do this but I ain't spending $600 to roll two beads
2) I could just flare it.

I want this to be as original as possible but if I cannot find someone that can roll the bead in then I will just flare it.

If there is a shop or person in the Atlanta area, heck, a shop or person within a 200 mile radius of Atlanta that can do this, let me know.

Here's what the stock end looks like:
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/13/10 11:13 PM

Try an air conditioning fab shop maybe ?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/13/10 11:59 PM

A slight flare of just the right amount & it will not leak and it would be hidden if you could live w that

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 12:23 AM

I can live with the flare. If I cannot find anything by about this time next week, then that's what is going to happen.

Most A/C shops and plumbers these days just sweat pipe. At least the ones I've talked to.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 12:31 AM

You can buy the individual tubing beaders from Aircraft Spruce for $50-60.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 12:34 AM

yeah I wanted to roll a bead on some tubing pieces to fab some custom radiator hose routing and Eastwoods price stopped me dead in my tracks . I hear their stuff is top notch but like you I'd only be rolling several beads.

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 12:42 AM

Quote:

You can buy the individual tubing beaders from Aircraft Spruce for $50-60.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/ezbeader.php
How does it work?

If that's it, I'll buy that tool!

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 12:48 AM

John, I owe you one!

I found some info on the interwebs. Fantastic!
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 01:09 AM

Cool tool!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 01:17 AM

Are you going to leave it exposed? 'Cause if not, who the hell's going to know it doesn't have a bead ?!?!?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 01:37 AM

Quote:

Are you going to leave it exposed? 'Cause if not, who the hell's going to know it doesn't have a bead ?!?!?

The bead helps retain the hose against the clamp, and keeps it from "creeping" under pressure, which would result in a "blown" hose down the road eventually if there's no bead to offer resistance,...if it wasn't needed, manufacturers wouldn't waste their time forming it, like the Sun, it's there for a reason

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 01:48 AM

If this were under the hood, I likely wouldn't care. But some of these connections are in the heater box. While not a PITA to pull, it isn't exactly fun just to fix a slipped hose. Plus, they sell these at Summit, I live near a Summit outlet and I have a Summit coupon right now that covers nearly half the price.

Oh, and it is easier to do a job right the first time than to do it over. Though the amount of time trying to find this tool nearly broke that rule.
Posted By: wedgg440

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 02:02 AM

Another way to accomplish what your trying to do is to see if you can find a brass ferrule to fit your tubing and just solder it on the tube.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 02:16 AM

thats a good idea

old mopar man must have been around the block a time or two and been there done that

hardware store in the plumbing section for a ferrule that size
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 02:53 AM

Quote:

Eastwoods price stopped me dead in my tracks . I hear their stuff is top notch...

HA!! I bought one of their bead rollers once. When it arrived it was the same one my friend had from Harbor Freight!!!

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 03:22 AM

Quote:

Another way to accomplish what your trying to do is to see if you can find a brass ferrule to fit your tubing and just solder it on the tube.

I can find a ferrule that size. It is something a few people recommended. ... it would be cheaper. A pack of two ferrules was about $2.50. I've already got the propane torch and solder.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 04:58 AM

Forget the ferule ... get a short piece of household copper wire (14 gauge) and make yourself a ring and solder it to the pipe. Shouldn't take more than 2 inches.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 07:48 AM

Ferrule is what I had in mind. The copper ring would be great if OD of tubing isn't an aval. ferrule size.

Attached picture 5733939-a.jpg
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 10:19 AM

How's this 'ghetto' way of "getting 'r done"...?

Meet, the GhettoBeader...!

Attached picture 5733978-GhettoBeader.jpg

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 12:57 PM

Quote:

Ferrule is what I had in mind. The copper ring would be great if OD of tubing isn't an aval. ferrule size.

I considered going this route but at the two hardware stores I went into (big box type) I couldn't find unions that had free ferrules. All of the ferrules were captured in the compression nut.

I love Ghettobeader.

Re: Rolling a bead into copper pipe - 01/14/10 02:09 PM

Quote:

How's this 'ghetto' way of "getting 'r done"...? Meet, the GhettoBeader...!

Excellent!
© 2024 Moparts Forums