Moparts

will this K-frame work??

Posted By: 69coronet440

will this K-frame work?? - 01/06/10 01:00 AM

I have a 72 duster slant six I want to convert to a V-8. I have a 67 dart V-8 K- frame I was woundering if this will fit. THANKS!
Posted By: dodgedartgt

Re: will this K-frame work?? - 01/06/10 01:07 AM

It will fit, but you probably do noit want it for one or two reasons.
First, it has the biscuit style engine mounts, rather than the captured spool type mounts. Okay, just use biscuits with an interlocking tab, like from Schumacher, oir later pickup trucks.
Secondly, and more important, the idler arm is of the older variety (and expensive) that is mounted on a stud. In '68, Mother started using a through bolted idler arm, so it is mounted in double shear. You won't have the flexing (or at least not as much) as in the earlier steering.
You could cut the idler mount bracket off the newer K-frame, build a jig to hold it in proper position and mate it to the '67 K-frame. Otherwise, the swap will work fine.
Mikey Bynum
Posted By: HEMIDOG 70

Re: will this K-frame work?? - 01/06/10 01:09 AM

I think it will work, but the 67 has a unique idler arm. The 68 up untill the spool mount type k's all interchange to the best of my knowledge.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: will this K-frame work?? - 01/06/10 01:16 AM

Like said above, it will work but it is not advised. A-Body small block k-frames are cheap. Schumacher mounts will work just fine also, though more expensive than a regular A-Body k-frame. You will need to upgrade the brakes also.
Posted By: 69coronet440

Re: will this K-frame work?? - 01/06/10 01:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I will look for a newer year. THANKS again!
© 2024 Moparts Forums