Moparts

Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup

Posted By: Rob440Magnum

Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:07 AM

I have a 1970 Challenger R/T with a 440 4bbl and I'm going to buy the complete six pack setup and install.

Does anyone have a step by step procedure on how best to perform the removal of the 4bbl setup and install the new six pack, any tricks or things to watch out for?

Thanks, Rob
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:25 AM

Step 1. Save up a bunch of money.

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:37 AM

Quote:

(LOL)

Ok step-1 is complete. Step-2 is place the order. Ok what's next?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:47 AM

Have you ever changed an intake ?
Posted By: YYZ

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:56 AM

Order the kit from one of the Moparts sponsors - it comes with pretty much everything you'd need (make sure you have fresh gaskets, RTV etc. on hand). Getting an idle stop solenoid is not a bad idea either.

Swapping the intake on a BB Mopar is easy. Don't need to remove the distributor or drain coolant. 8 bolts and it's off.

If you're buying new carbs, they come super-lean from the factory. Invest in a few of the reusable carb bowl gaskets, bigger power valve for the centre carb and bigger jets for all. I don't remember the exact specs, but there's probably something in the tech archive section.

Again, the new carbs are set waaaaaay too lean out of the box.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 03:53 AM

Automatic or 4spd?? If it's an auto unless your running a manual valve body, you'll need kick down (throttle pressure) linkage....
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 01:39 PM

Quote:

Automatic or 4spd?? If it's an auto unless your running a manual valve body, you'll need kick down (throttle pressure) linkage....

Boy am I glad you clarified the linkage terminology!

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:04 PM

It's a 4 speed.

Should I buy the valley pan with the heat crossover's blocked off? Should I buy the paper gaskets to use with the tray?

Thanks, Rob
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:21 PM

You will get different answers to that question.Depends on your end goal.Original production,cast iron manifold,valley pan only with open cross over.They worked well with no modifications.Its up to you.
Posted By: 440abody

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 02:46 PM

Quote:

Step 2. Have understanding spouse as to why it cost so much.
Step 3. Attend marriage counseling(refer back to step 1) to try and reason with her why YOU needed it and she feels left out and miunderstood.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 03:08 PM

As far as steps, the above posters have pretty much called it. It's a very easy swap, just remove your current intake and replace it with the Six Barrel intake and start bolting on the pieces to complete it, it's pretty straight forward. As mentioned, if you buy new reproductions they tend to come out of the box on the lean side so be aware of that once you start adjusting your base settings.

I'd highly reccomend that you put a sharp tune on your car before starting the swap to eliminate non carburetor related gremlins when you do the swap, set your timing, check your vaccuum, make sure all of your other ignition componants are in good working order, etc. The last thing you want to do is chase your tail when tuning your six pack (which is not that difficult BTW).

As far as cost, it varies. I'd suggest making a shopping list and having a look around the internet, right here on Moparts is a good place to start, allot of vendors advertise here as well as other members selling new or used parts they no longer need, and of course ebay is a good place to shop as well.

Basic shopping list for a stock setup:

Intake manifold
Intake gasket set
Carburetors
Progressive carburetor linkage
Fuel lines
Vaccuum hose w/T-fitting
Carburetors
Carb base gaskets
Carb air cleaner gaskets
Carb air cleaner studs & wing nuts
Carb hold down bolts
Throttle cable
Throttle cable bracket
Throttle return spring bracket
Throttle return spring set
Coil braket
Idle stop solenoid
Throttle stud & nut
Automatic choke assembly
Air cleaner base
Air cleaner lid
Appropriate valve cover breather package for year of car

*Picture below shows a fairly complete setup off of a car for a better look.

Attached picture 5690305-CompleteSixPackSetup.jpg

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 03:09 PM

Attached picture 5690308-RonRogersAfter.jpg

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 03:10 PM

Attached picture 5690310-RonRogersAfter2(2).JPG

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 04:42 PM

Quote:

It's a 4 speed.

Should I buy the valley pan with the heat crossover's blocked off? Should I buy the paper gaskets to use with the tray?

Thanks, Rob

If you plan on running the stock thermostatic choke then you should not block off the heat crossover as it will take longer for the choke to open . as far as the papergaskets , some use them , some don't , some NEED them some don't ...

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 05:04 PM

Quote:

If you plan on running the stock thermostatic choke then you should not block off the heat crossover as it will take longer for the choke to open

What if you buy the tray with the heat crossover blocked off but drill a 1/4" hole where the crossover is. Do you think that would help keep it running cooler and still allow the choke to work properly? Any suggestions?

This car will be for street use only.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/26/09 05:35 PM

i couldn't find it, but i'm sure someone can or already has reference to it, but DAYCLONA had an excellent, step by step post on how to tune the carbs.

that is what you need once you get it all bolted on...

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/26/09 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you plan on running the stock thermostatic choke then you should not block off the heat crossover as it will take longer for the choke to open

What if you buy the tray with the heat crossover blocked off but drill a 1/4" hole where the crossover is. Do you think that would help keep it running cooler and still allow the choke to work properly? Any suggestions?

This car will be for street use only.

Total waste of effort to do that , doesn't matter how small a hole you make but if you make it too small it will still take a long time to open and either way you'll be heating up the intake , which is fine till the engine is up to operating temp.

Just buy the std tray.
Posted By: fastnos

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/27/09 08:18 AM

Here you go... Saved from previous 6-pack posts

macmic87-Moparts
here is some advice given to by another moparts member. a little lengthy, but if done in order makes a difference.

have to agree strongly with Mike(HPMike) I've been running six pack inductions for about 30 years now, sm blk, big blk, and even the custom 6 pak cast HEMI intake manifolds that I made for the 71 wingcars,.....I don't have anything but, sixpack cars,,,,,,,,I've rebuilt countless numbers of carbs, along with countless installations and tunings,....when there are troubles, it usally due to someone unfamilar with there tuning or functions, or attempts at trying to improve them,......which usally results in "problem" carbs, starting, stalling, flooding issuse!.....seeing your have "new" carbs/ set-uo,....I'd recommend you use a Carter street pump, don't use rubber hose, it's problems down the road!, use a factory style/ repro steel, or stainless steel fuel line kit,a good quality hi flow fuel filter, AFTER the pump!, not before!, you'll restrict the fuel flow, Factory style linkage, no junk progrssive/ mech linkage!, change out the brass side float screw on the fuel bowls (all 3 bowls) with Holleys clear sight plugs, this way you can see your float level, and no gas spills trying to adjust, their like $4 each,.....when setting the fuel level, I've found that it's best to bring it up to half the height of the clear sight plug, (can't do this with the brass sight screw!, unless you have X-ray vision, hence the need to install the clear plastic sights).....plus "if" you ever have a starting problem, just shaking the car side to side will slosh the fuel in the clear site, and you'll know wether or not you have fuel in the bowl,....after you have basically installed the set-up, and started the car, and set an acceptable idle after warm up, with the engine running, set the floats, start with the center carb, the slotted screw on top of the float adjuster, is just a lock screw, you can remove it for now, the 5/8" nut is the adjuster/needle seat nut, rotating it counter clockwise will raise fuel level in the bowl, clockwise will lower it, make small 1/2 turns let the car run a bit, check the fuel in the clear site window, half the window is ideal height, esp. in the front and rear carbs, when they dump in, you don't wanna lean the engine, which on a sixpack car, might "melt" a piston or two!....really!, been, there, done that!....after you set the fuel level in all 3 carbs, reset the idle on the center carb, by disconnecting the linkage on the end carbs, if your using an idle solenoid, make sure it's energized in the up position contacting the center carbs solenoid idle arm screw, set the desired idle, that keeps your car running, factory specs are a guide line, your cam, vacumm, etc, will affect your desired RPM range, after you establish this idle, this is what your car will run with, now de-energize the solenoid, using the idle srew located on the ceter carbs main throttle shaft, set the idle to a bare minimum running idle, this is were your throttle shaft will close down too when you shut off the car, and the idle solenoid de-energizes, if later you have shut down problems of the car desieling, (sputtering run on after shut down) keep lowering the idle screw on the center carb main shaft, untill this is condition is eliminated, the idle solenoid was added to maintain an idle, and allow the throttle blade to choke off the engine on shutdown if needed, when it de-energized, after your center card idle is set, now comes the fun, start the car, in idle, the front and rear carbs are still disconnected at their main throttle linkage, (important note: make sure no vacumm source is hooked up to the front and rear carbs when main linkage is disconnected, cause any reving you may do, might tip in a end carb! with vacumm!, and if you can't shut it down in time, you might lose an engine!....seen it done!)to properly set the fuel/ air mixture idle screws, start with the center carb, hook up a tach.......warmed up, good idle (low)....turn the fuel/ air mixture screws (2) located on each side of the center carb metering block, do one at a time, run it in slowly, until the engine begins to stumble, slowy back it out watching the tach needle, stop when you've obtained the highest rpm reading,....you can also do this with a vacumm gauge attached to MANIFOLD vacumm, I like to use both at the same time, ...repeat the process for the other side, when done, now re-do-it, again, just to confirm settings, now some of the end carbs, have their fuel idle screws "plugged" with lead, they are located in the base, in the front of the carb base plate, under the bowl, if plugged, dig out lead plug, most people think ones for fuel, ones for air , their not!, you'll adjust these screws just like the center carb, except you can't just use a vacumm/ tach gauge,....look into the top of the front end carb, you see 2 small projections in each bore on each side, just below the neck, these are the air bleeds, block off the outer bleed using your finger over the small tiny hole, with the motor running at idle (low), it should stumble or pick up in idle, when you block off, either outboard bleed, set the front carb first, pick a bore, left or right, with it's coresponding baseplate idle screw, block the bleed off with your finger,(make sure the carbs throttle plate is fully closed) do one side at a time, when you block the bleed, if the idle increases, too much fuel, remove your finger, turn the base screw on the side your blocking the bleed on, in, one turn, block the bleed again, listen for the idle, (you could use a tach gauge at this point), if it stumbles/ decreases, no fuel, back the base screw off a half turn, block the air bleed again see where the "idle" is,......keep adjusting in this fashion until there's no change in idle, no increase/ decrease, you now have the ideal fuel/ air ratio for the vacummm requirement on your motor, complete this for both sides of the front carb, shut off the motor, disconnect this carb remove it, re-install it in the rear,....install the rear carb, now in the front, adjust this carb like you did to the last one, after you hook up everything, now here's when most guys will balk at this move,....they'll insist the air/fuel mixture won't be 100% by moving the tuned front carb to the rear, well if your truly familiar with the sixpack set-up, you know getting to the rear carbs base screws is fustrating to say the least, unless your squeezeing every ounze of effeciency out of the motor, this technique is far better than leaving the factory setting/ lead plugs in, with is usally a lean set-up,,,,,,, after setting this relocated carb up, if you wish you can "play" trying to "tweak" the rear carb, this may include a round of removal the "tweak" the screws to obtain that last ounze of "tuning", I've yet to see a "tool", truly capable of fitting into the installed rear carbs "idle screws"......anybody?,

Well, when your "done" setting the air/ fuel "idle" mixtures on the end carbs, connect the end linkages, to the end carbs, do it with the idle solenoid energized, the rods are threaded were they join together on the center carb, they install on the end carbs with rod clips, there is a F/R or left?right handed clip, energize solenoid, do the front carb first, make sure the linkage is pulled far forward on the center carb secondary rail, thread the rod, in or out, until it fits nicely in the hole, then proceed to the rear, repeat this proceedure, now check the linkage for any binding, you should be able to chrack open (engine off!) the center car, WOT, and manually open both carbs by rotating the front carb throttle arm, close the center carb, check all linkage for binding, readjust if needed, now de-energize the idle solenoid, see if any bind is preventing the center carb from closing on the main throttle shaft idle screw, you may have to comprimise on some idle/ and or end carb linkage adjustments to have an ideal, functioning set-up, but once you take the time to do this, you'll appreciate your efforts!,....as far as altering the end carb secondary springs in the vacumm pods,.....I like a sixpack to come in quick,....you'll have to buy 2 sping kits, replace with the "white" springs if you want a quick responding set-up,....if you what a mid range set-up use the "yellow" springs,.....any thing in the brown or black range is worthless.,,,,,Hell I could write a book here, I probally have, if you have any other questions, PM me.......I wrote this for others, to utilize as well,.......

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/27/09 02:34 PM

Thanks guys for alot a good advice as usual.

You guys mention that the new Holley Carbs are set way to lean out of the box. Based on my specs listed below how would you re-jet initally before installing the six pack setup on the car?

1970 Challenger R/T 440 4bbl 4 speed Dana 4.10
- 1972 440 block same casting numbers as a 1970 block, bored .030 over
- CompCams camshaft: XE268H part #21-223-4
duration at .050 224 & 230
valve lift .477 & .480
lobe separation 110 degrees
- CompCams adjustable rocker arm kit #1321
- Stock 906 heads no porting
- Stock exhaust manifolds
- 2.5 in exhaust with dynomax super turbo mufflers
- True calculated compression ratio: 9.9:1
- Pumps gas Sunoco 93 octane gas
- For street use only

Thanks, Rob
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/27/09 06:57 PM

and as said before,you might need a new air breather to your passenger valve cover with a extra connection on it

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/27/09 07:02 PM

Quote:

You guys mention that the new Holley Carbs are set way to lean out of the box. Based on my specs listed below how would you re-jet initally before installing the six pack setup on the car?

I'd leave them alone until they are on the engine and running, just be aware that they might be on the lean side, every engine has different fuel needs, trying to nail down accurate jetting and fine tune settings prior to running them is nothing short of guessing, plus your combo is fairly mild, the out of the box settings are a good place to start as a base line.

Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/27/09 07:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd leave them alone until they are on the engine and running, just be aware that they might be on the lean side, every engine has different fuel needs, trying to nail down accurate jetting and fine tune settings prior to running them is nothing short of guessing, plus your combo is fairly mild, the out of the box settings are a good place to start as a base line.

I've always knocked the seal plugs out of the front & rear carbs & backed the idle mixture screws out 1/2 turn...
Posted By: beepsalot

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/27/09 10:13 PM

and finding jet plates for the outboards are a pain. if geting really radical, you can driil and tap the jet plates for replaceable jets. just make sure you plug the holes on the bottom of the plates
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 12/28/09 02:53 AM

If you've had any machine work done to the engine you'll need to check the intake mating to the heads/block...Don't take anything for granted
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/28/09 12:18 PM

easy. get your $2200 and buy a set-up. It's as easy as any other intake carb set up. I put 64's in before I mounted the carbs. The kit comes with directions....

Attached picture 5693607-4406a.jpg

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/28/09 09:41 PM

Is the idle stop solenoid specific to the six pack setup. I don't think my 4bbl setup has that.

What does the idle solenoid do?

Thanks, Rob

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/28/09 10:31 PM

Yes it is specific to the 6pk and hard to find , been NS! for a very long time , if you find one it may not be cheap .

It is used to set engine idle RPM. Chrysler had a run on issue, I can only assume, so the easiest/cheapest way to fix it is to have the butterflies closed completely when you shut off the engine. The solenoid is powered up when you turn on the key and it open the butterflies, it is what you are supposed to adjust to set idle speed.

And no your 4bbl doesn't have it , though some 4bbl's had them , but they are different than what is used on a 6pk.
Posted By: Mr71Bee

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 02:53 AM

Year One has the idle solenoid. About 200 bucks or so... I use one and it makes setting idle much easier. With 6 bbls feeding your engine (though 4 are mostly closed) you need some adjustability of the center carb. I can lope along at 1100 rpms in nuetral with my big cam and it will shut off when I cut the ignition. Nice!

Dallas
Posted By: I go fast

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 03:14 AM

You don't have to pay YO prices,they are all over eBay for not quite half that.

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 01:34 PM

P.S. it's fun when the outboards open up....
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 05:25 PM

Who has the set up for $2200?

Did you use the kit from this supplier?

Joe
Posted By: TOMRR

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 05:28 PM

http://rain.prohosting.com/motrefok/

Check out Phil Fish Great guy to deal with
Service Plus !!!!

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 06:27 PM

Quote:

Who has the set up for $2200?

Did you use the kit from this supplier?

Joe

I got it form Atlantic speed.
http://stores.ebay.com/AtlanticSpeed-Performance-Parts

with my 100 off e-bay coupon I got mine for under $2100 plus shipping. He even shipped it all to my friends house so the Mrs wouldn't see all the boxes...
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 08:31 PM

Thank you both for information!

Joe

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 10:32 PM

I just ordered mine yesterday from Jegs.com for a little over $2,100 shipping included.

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/29/09 10:37 PM

Quote:

It is used to set engine idle RPM. Chrysler had a run on issue, I can only assume, so the easiest/cheapest way to fix it is to have the butterflies closed completely when you shut off the engine. The solenoid is powered up when you turn on the key and it open the butterflies, it is what you are supposed to adjust to set idle speed.

With a 4 speed car I have always gotten in the habit of slightly leaving the clutch out as I am turning the ignition off. (Kind of like stalling the car out by leaving the clutch out too fast and not giving it any gas). This will not allow the motor to keep running after you turn the ignition off.

If this is all the idle solenoid does, then I cannot see spending the extra money for it.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: 500Stroker

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 12/30/09 01:33 AM

As long as you don't have a run on problem save your money. I have one on mine but I use it in the opposite way. When I turn on my AC I switch on the idle solenoid bumping up the idle.

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 01/01/10 07:21 PM

According to Jim Schild's book, in 1970 the center carb was different depending if you had an automatic or 4 speed tranny.

R4375A - 4 speed carb
R4376A - automatic carb

R4383A - rear carb
R4382A - front carb

What was the difference on the center carbs?

What exactly is holley reproducing today for the 440 six pack setup?

My Challenger that I will be installing this on is a 4 speed car.

Thanks, Rob

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 01/01/10 11:34 PM

Quote:

and as said before,you might need a new air breather to your passenger valve cover with a extra connection on it

My current air breather only has one connection. Where do I buy a new air breather with two connections?

Thanks, Rob

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 01/02/10 05:20 PM

You don't need another valve cover breather and holley makes a one carb fits all , you jet it to what your engine requires .
Posted By: 70-AAR-Cuda

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 03/25/20 04:43 AM

Outstanding write up on the sixpak setup..... reminds me of the good old days...
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 03/25/20 05:24 PM

Do yourself a favor and install a wideband gauge. I use the one from Innovate, and it really helps dial in the carbs. Be sure you have a quality fuel filter installed.

Be prepared when the secondaries open. I tuned a buddies 6 pack RB car. His secondaries were not working correctly and his timing was way off. I had assumed he knew how to drive, but the Doctor Jekyl & Mr Hyde nature of the outboards kicking in can be stunning with this induction set-up. The vacuum secondaries almost feel like they have a mind of their own compared to the mechanical secondary carbs. I never liked the vacuum carbs for that reason.

He completely wrecked the car some days later when he was at full throttle in 2nd and the rear tires broke loose. He panicked and it fishtailed out of control. Broke his daughter's arm in the crash too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setup - 03/25/20 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rob440Magnum
According to Jim Schild's book, in 1970 the center carb was different depending if you had an automatic or 4 speed tranny.

R4375A - 4 speed carb
R4376A - automatic carb

R4383A - rear carb
R4382A - front carb

What was the difference on the center carbs?

What exactly is holley reproducing today for the 440 six pack setup?

My Challenger that I will be installing this on is a 4 speed car.

Thanks, Rob

Holley made more than those two List # for both 1970 CA and non CA six pack cars, according to Holley master parts catalog scope I remember seeing 3 or 4 more center carb List #s. Dang the EPA anyways rant
Mopar had Holley reproduce the 1971 non CA automatic six pack carbs is what I remember now shruggy They will have a -1 after the List number on those later carbs scope
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Steps to Convert a 1970 440 4bbl to a Six Pack Setu - 03/26/20 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by 70-AAR-Cuda
Outstanding write up on the sixpak setup..... reminds me of the good old days...

The original post is from the good old days biggrin
© 2024 Moparts Forums