Moparts

dropping in engine and trans

Posted By: preston

dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 04:19 PM

Hi, Im ready to install the engine and trans (340/727) into my 69 dart. I wanted to know which way you found to be the best way. Engine and trans together or seperate? Thanks Bob
Posted By: cyphre666

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 04:24 PM

Together is the best way, you will not the car up pretty high. You may find it easier with some
helper moving the tail shaft around a bit.
Then a jack under the trans.
Posted By: ngpSatellite

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 04:26 PM

if your going to do both at once have someone else with you besides your wife!!!! is your trannie fluid in?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 04:32 PM

spring for a engine tilter with the (4) chains & take off the hand crank as it can hit your cherry picker arm usually at the most inopportune time. & weld on a nut & use an impact gun to change the tilt. Go slow, making dents/dings/scratches will make you pi$$ed for days afterard. & DEFINITELY have a helper.
Posted By: preston

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 04:45 PM

I do have the engine tilter with my hoist. Thanks for the heads up on taking the handle off, i can see that could be a problem. It seems the best way to go is engine and trans together. Thanks for all the help. Bob
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 05:05 PM

& I always drop the center steering link. & maybe even the steering box & column. It always seems to go MUCH better when I do. One of my personal pet peeves is I just don't like the eng bumping anything on the way in. more work but when I'm done I know I did it RIGHT. PRICELESS
Posted By: Fab64

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 05:08 PM

Or maybe just turn the load leveler (tilter) so the handle is away from the lift.
Posted By: wildfish72

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 05:54 PM

drop the k member and set the motor on it and then slide the hole thing under the car and use the cherry picker to lift the car up and drop it down , no dings nicks or messups.
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 06:28 PM

do you have alluminum heads? if so are you still planning on installing them together? I will be doing the same next week and have some concerns bolting all that weight directly to 4 bolts on my heads.
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 06:35 PM

Crazy as it sounds... ...raise the rear of the car. It will cut down on the angle that the trans and engine would need to be to slide in.

Try it.
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 06:40 PM

Thats what we did when we pulled the engine and trans out last week. Front of the car on the ground, the rear raised up enough to get underneath.
Posted By: wildfish72

Re: dropping in engine and trans - 07/19/08 10:52 PM

that how i
use to pull all my motors out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums