Moparts

Synthetic Dot 3

Posted By: dodgeram440

Synthetic Dot 3 - 12/12/09 04:45 PM

Has anyone used this before and is it compatible with standard brake fluid?

My wifes van has a leaky wheel cylinder and she bought a 1 quart bottle of Prestone Synthetic Dot 3 brake fluid. Now before everyone starts telling me I need to replace the offending wheel cylinder, just let me say...DUH! I will be a full brake job on it tomorrow. I'm just wondering how compatible the synthetic Dot 3 will be with standard Dot 3. I've never heard of synthetic Dot 3 before. I thought all synthetic brake fluid was Dot 5, which can be used, but you have to flush the whole system of the Dot 3 first. This bottle says can be used in all Dot 3 systems.

So what do you think? Will I be ok? Or should I take it back and get a bottle of regular brake fluid?
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: Synthetic Dot 3 - 12/12/09 05:01 PM

DOT 5 is silicone. This product is syntehtic, which means it's a blend of something. Call the Prestone tech line and ask them directly, it's their product and they oughta know.

Personally,regardless of their answer, I'd flush the system anyway. Cheap insurance.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Synthetic Dot 3 - 12/12/09 05:53 PM

You'll be fine using it. Synthetic and silicone are 2 different animals. Perosnally,I use the Valvoline synthetic(SynPower) as it has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 and 4 fluids.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Synthetic Dot 3 - 12/12/09 07:40 PM

Actually I believe all brake fluids are synthetic, it is only recently the marketing departments have figured out that that label increases sales.
Posted By: JM67RT

Re: Synthetic Dot 3 - 12/12/09 08:49 PM

Does it still eat paint?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Synthetic Dot 3 - 12/12/09 08:53 PM

Quote:

Does it still eat paint?

Only if theres lead in it..
Posted By: dodgeram440

Re: Synthetic Dot 3 - 12/12/09 09:23 PM

Thanks for the answers. I guess I got confused with the silicone/synthetic relationship. I admit that flushing the system anyways is probably a good idea, however, as I will be doing this outside and it's going to be mid 30's and rain, I'm all about getting this done as quickly as possible. Of course, if I have to bleed the fronts anyway, that will be a different story.

Thanks again!

© 2024 Moparts Forums