Moparts

518 stuck in 2nd gear

Posted By: HotRodDave

518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/06/09 04:08 PM

What would cause it to stick in 2nd gear? It is a 92 so I know it is not limp mode. It has manual low but if you take off in 2nd or D it just takes off in 2nd and stays there. Neutral Park and reverse are fine.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/06/09 04:20 PM

could be a stuck governor,a sticking TV or a stuck shift valve
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/06/09 07:39 PM

Make sure the kickdown moves freely.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/07/09 12:14 AM

i take it is a overdrive in a shadow??
or a van
if its stuck in 2 it is in limp thats what they do
it so you can drive to saftey
you can try changing the 2 speed sensor
1 that is between the 2 trans lines right above the selinoid pack
the other is straight across it about 8 "
the 1 will moe than likley have a bunch of 'crap' on it
there will be you're issue
these are mangnets on the ends so they only pick up metal
so you can guess whats wrong after that

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/07/09 03:13 PM

It is not stuck in limode because it is not computer controlled except the OD. There is also only one speed sensor. It is not a stuck throttle valve because it would shift either too high or too low but not just hang in one gear, especially second. It might be a hung govenor, I guess that could hang it in one gear.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/07/09 04:07 PM

None of the 727 transmissions are computer controlled when it comes to 1/2/3 shifts except when you get into the RE trans with the electronic governor circuit.

I used to know what caused this as we would have it happen on the Diesel trans we upgrade, start off in second, but I can't off the top of my head remember what caused it, something to do with pressure , but this was on an RE trans ....

carry on
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/08/09 03:40 AM

Quote:

It is not stuck in limode because it is not computer controlled except the OD. There is also only one speed sensor. It is not a stuck throttle valve because it would shift either too high or too low but not just hang in one gear, especially second. It might be a hung govenor, I guess that could hang it in one gear.

I run a trans shop and can tell you a stuck gov,a stuck 1-2 shift valve will cause a 2nd gear start and I have seen a stuck TV valve do weird things other that early or late shifts.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/08/09 08:15 PM

A test gauge on the governor pressure test port will tell you if the governor is the problem, if the governor tests OK the problem is likely a stuck 1-2 shift valve.

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/09/09 02:38 PM

I don't have the truck in front of me right now so just asking if witch port is for the govenor? Isn't there one for the OD and one for govenor on the extension housing?

I can't seem to find witch one is witch in AllmostData

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/09/09 03:27 PM

8psi @ idle
12 PSI @ 50
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/09/09 05:27 PM

Quote:

8psi @ idle
12 PSI @ 50

is that 50 MPH ?? if so that's low ...

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/09/09 05:46 PM

Yes 50mph. I figured it was low so I pulled the governor and the little valve was stuck a little so I polished it up a little with some steel whool and it moves freely now. I hope thats all the problem was, now if I can figure out how the governor goes back together
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/09/09 05:59 PM

Pictures and instructions here. http://www.scribd.com/doc/228727/Dodge-Trucks-TechTran-A500-42RH-A518-46RH-A618-47RH-Service-Manual
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/09/09 06:03 PM

gov pressure has to be under 3 psi at stops in gear or it will not downshift to first
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/09/09 10:26 PM

As Bill stated, the high pressure at idle is the reason it won't downshift and the low pressure at speed is the reason it won't upshift to 3rd. You need about 10 psi of governor pressure for every 10 mph.

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/10/09 01:33 AM

Is there something in the VB that could cause this? There is no differance after all that.

On a side note I did notice the trans is a 94 and there is a recall for snow plows in 94, is there a way to update the spacer plate like the recall plate? Dodge won't sell me a plate and they won't install it because the truck is a 92 ramcharger, not the original one.
Posted By: 70Challengerse

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/10/09 03:20 AM

Take it to someone who knows what to do with it....your not putting brakes on it ..don't become a parts replacer it needs to be diagnosed ...correctly.

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/10/09 05:33 AM

I am not new to this, I have rebuilt sucessfully many touque flites 3 and 4 spd, hydraulic and electronic. I am not a parts replacer, I am a profesional mechanic ASE master certified too, how many "parts replacers" do you know that happen to have a trans preasure tester or a very expensive Solus scanner? I also have enought spare parts in my garage to build another 4 of thease things from scratch but I just wanted to fix this one without building another and it has turned into fixing someone elses mess, just once in a while something comes along that just stumps a guy and so I figured a few more heads might be helpfull. Mabey I am just overthinking this and over looking something simple, so I thought I would ask for some ideas.

To the rest of you, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the help!

I noticed it has a shift kit in it, looks like a TF-2 with the updated preasure spring and stuff, mabey they screwed something up there
Posted By: JBurch

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/10/09 02:28 PM

If it's not already in a little Nash Rambler, put it into a little Nash Rambler, look for a Cadillac, make sure your horn goes, Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Beep Beep Beep, pull up along side the Cadillac, roll down your window, and ask the driver of the Cadillac, "Hey Buddy how do I get this out of second gear........."

Good luck, and have a Happy Holidays.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: 518 stuck in 2nd gear - 12/10/09 04:23 PM

this is a test only a test
© 2024 Moparts Forums