Moparts

aftermarket wheel offset question

Posted By: minivan

aftermarket wheel offset question - 07/18/08 12:24 AM

I want to use Torque thrust II's on my 67 coronet and all I see are 4" and 3 3/4 backsets.. Alot of the threads on here talk about 5" backsets and such.. My question is are these custom wheels?? I never seem to be able to get a straight answer at the wheel shops..

I am going with 8" wide ( maybe 7" in the front) so I think the 4" backset will be fine, but just curious on what some of you are using..
Posted By: 71valiant

Re: aftermarket wheel offset question - 07/18/08 12:27 AM

I think it really starts to matter when your trying to shove all the tire you can in the back mainly. If your just running a normal to semi-wide street tire I dont think it would be a big deal.
Posted By: ahy

Re: aftermarket wheel offset question - 07/18/08 12:51 AM

Most Americain Racing and Weld Wheels can be ordered in custom backspacing. It takes 2-3 weeks longer usually. Their web sites will indicate which wheels can be ordered custom. There will also be a specification and order form to fill out.

If your tire/wheel dealer doesn't know how its done, may be time to find a new dealer. It may also be possible to order custom by calling Summit although I've never tried.

I got mine through a local tire shop I trade with "Mr. and Mrs. Tire".
Posted By: Lefty

Re: aftermarket wheel offset question - 07/18/08 01:14 AM

Some are custom offset some are Mustang as they have the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern as Mopar and also have the 5" or so offset we need. I don't know which years Mustang had the 5x4.5" bolt pattern and correct offset.

I went with Billet Specialties custom offset because I needed a 5.5" backspace on my 66 Coronet to get the most rubber I could in the rear with no tubbing. None of the production rims are available in that offset (as you know) and I didn't find any Mustang wheels I liked.

Beware if you go with 5.5" offset as a 17" or smaller rim may not fit due to hitting the upper ball joint. I went with 18x8" to be safe. Tires are Nitto 555 255/45/18

Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: aftermarket wheel offset question - 07/18/08 01:20 AM

You can get about any size and back space you need with those wheels.
http://www.americanracing.com/browse_vintage.asp
Posted By: Lefty

Re: aftermarket wheel offset question - 07/18/08 01:31 AM

I forgot

You can go here and build your car (even paint and ride height) with tons of choices of wheels in different diameters and tire sizes -

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_visualizer.asp
© 2024 Moparts Forums