Moparts

Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this?

Posted By: 70Sbird

Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 12/04/09 06:58 PM

Hello,
I scored a complete 8.75 A body axle assembly last weekend for my Demon project and now have the rusty/crusty/dirty mess mostly disassembled on my garage floor. I'm considering having the housing and spring/shock plates powdercoated. Any downside to this, and about how much should I be spending to have these parts blasted and coated? I've never had powdercoating done before and would like to know what I'm getting into if I go that route. I read the thread about protecting the threads, and this sounds like a good plan.
Thanks!
Scott
Posted By: chache876

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 12/04/09 07:46 PM

up here in Chicago $200 seems to be the going rate for it to be blasted and powder coated
Posted By: coronet1966d

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 12/04/09 08:17 PM

i had mine done. i had it blasted and coated but its a real pain to get it spotless. clean clean clean and once you think your done clean it some more i dont remember what i paid but it wasnt cheap probley close to the $200 mark

Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 12/04/09 08:36 PM

We're in Minnesota (JIT Powder Coating) but I can make a few recommendations on powder coating. You won't want to try powder coating a fully assembled unit. I can't tell you how many people have dragged in a fully assembled rear end here. Remove axles, seals, 3rd member, etc. Pressure wash the bare housing as best you can prior to blasting. If you want to do the 3rd member you'll need to remove the ring and pinion, pinion seal, etc.

After blasting, everything needs to be washed and dried thoroughly prior to painting. Depending on how greasy the housing was it may be advisable to have it put in the cure oven for a half hour or more prior to doing anything else to see if any impregnated grease or oil will become viscous and bleed out. Much better to find out now that after it's painted.

Don't go with a real high gloss black if that's the color you want. We recommend a 60 gloss black (Your powder coater will know what that means) which is a good compromise on appearance, maintenance and long term performance.

If the housing is really pitted badly, you should discuss a primer coat being applied before the color top coat. This will make for a much smoother, 'new' looking housing. Don't let them go crazy putting a lot of powder on. 1.5 mils of primer and 2- 3 mils of color is plenty. Some people fall into the some is good, more is better trap. I don't recommend a clear coat.

In this area we charge $175-250 for blasting, prime and color top coat of housing, spring perches and backing plates. Drums can also be done but the brake contact surface needs to be masked and that's labor intensive. 3rd member can be done too, but masking is involved here, so figure another $100-125 for 2 drums and 3rd member in the mix.

The heat required to cure the powder will not warp or otherwise affect the housing. The ramp up of heat in the cure oven is not a problem and most powders only require 350-390 degrees F for up to 30 minutes to cure properly. Let the parts cool down on their own once through the cure oven.

If you have other questions feel free to call us at 651-463-4664 or email JITPOWDR@AOL.COM

Good luck with the project!
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 12/04/09 08:52 PM

Make sure the rearend is oil free inside before blasting and coating.

I charge $100 to hot tank, blast and powder-coat a rearend housing.
Posted By: 70Sbird

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 12/04/09 09:18 PM

Thanks!
I will only be dropping off the empty housing, spring plates, and maybe the bare 3rd member. This housing is pretty rusty/pitted and am NOT looking for a really glossy show finish, just something durable that looks decent (probably Black or Gray). I'm thinking that there will be some agressive blasting to get all of the rust off the housing, since I'm assuming it will have to be completely rust free to coat but I also an guessing the coaters are used to dealing with this on chassis parts.
Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/12/10 12:34 PM

Larry at JIT did my 8 3/4 housing, backing plates,trans crossmember, k-frame, fast service, quality work!
Posted By: 1A1A1A1A1

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/12/10 12:53 PM

Here is a picture of mine. I'll be working in the garage this weekend re-assembling the third member, axles, etc. I had everything powder coated, including spring perches, sway bar plates, and brake drums. For everything you see in the photo, cost around $150 in my area. My axle housing was heavily pitted as well. What I did was grind the entire axle housing down to bar metal with a flap disk. I was very pleased with the results, I only wanted to do it once! What I found very expensive was the axle bearing kit that I needed to buy from Jim's Auto Parts, close to $300. I wasn't expecting that.

Attached picture 5798932-rsz_up_to_dec_24_2009_045.jpg
Posted By: BrianShaughnessy

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/12/10 01:08 PM

Semi gloss black on a 8.75 housing was $90 at Technical Coatings in Kingston NY a few months ago. Blasting included.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/13/10 03:37 AM

mine was $25.00 to have the housing and backing plates sand blasted (thay use a fine sand) and was $50.00 to have them powder coated semi gloss black
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/13/10 04:10 AM

I spent $600.00 for all of this..

Attached picture 5800834-Powdercoatedparts4web01.jpg

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/13/10 04:11 AM

And

Attached picture 5800837-powdercoatedparts4web02.jpg

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/13/10 04:12 AM

Plus

Attached picture 5800838-powdercoatedparts4web03.jpg

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/13/10 04:13 AM

and some more

Attached picture 5800842-powdercoatedparts4web04.jpg

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/13/10 04:14 AM

Also

Attached picture 5800845-powdercoatedparts4web05.jpg
Posted By: demon440

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 02/13/10 07:10 AM

I had my rear, shock plates,backing plates and
gas tank powder coated for $200.
For my Demon.

Attached picture 5801199-rear(Medium).jpg
Posted By: brianz426

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 02:37 AM

I'm back into this old post hoping some of you could chime in and help me. I had my 8-3/4 axle housing and end plates powder coated and they turned out great. My problem is getting the inside of the housing clean. They blasted and baked the housing and the inside looked clean and dry except for the dried grease/oil residue.
I started with an industrial water soluble machine shop type cleaner degreaser. I thoroughly washed the interior with a brush. After it dried I cleaned the inside again with brake cleaner spraying until the cleaner ran out clean. I still feel a very fine grit when I touch the inside. How did you guys clean the inside of your housings? Do I need to keep cleaning until all interior surfaces feel smooth? Should I try pressure washing the inside. I definitely want all the grit out before I reassemble everything.
Thanks
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 03:47 AM

The housing must be free of oil residue BEFORE blasting and coating.

I would hot tank/power-wash then blow the housing dry. Hot tank solution (lye) won't hurt the finish.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 12:48 PM

Quote:

I'm back into this old post hoping some of you could chime in and help me. I had my 8-3/4 axle housing and end plates powder coated and they turned out great. My problem is getting the inside of the housing clean. They blasted and baked the housing and the inside looked clean and dry except for the dried grease/oil residue.
I started with an industrial water soluble machine shop type cleaner degreaser. I thoroughly washed the interior with a brush. After it dried I cleaned the inside again with brake cleaner spraying until the cleaner ran out clean. I still feel a very fine grit when I touch the inside. How did you guys clean the inside of your housings? Do I need to keep cleaning until all interior surfaces feel smooth? Should I try pressure washing the inside. I definitely want all the grit out before I reassemble everything.
Thanks

Steam pressure washer kicks azz when it comes to heavy oil and grease removal. This tool has saved me me countless hours. Perfect for cleaning the inside of a axle housing.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 12:52 PM

I've only had one done , maybe 9 years ago????. If I remember right it was $150 to have the axle hsg done along with both brake backing plates acid dipped and powder coated sable black

Attached picture 6835798-C6.jpg
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 03:56 PM

Cost me $150 to have two security doors blasted and powder coated. They had a lot of decorative metalwork so must have been a bear to blast. After it was done the company owner told me we could have had a zinc-rich primer applied first. Maybe that's something to think about.

R.

Yes, he told us AFTER the coated doors had been delivered!
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 10:00 PM

An example of Dr. Diff's work. He did this for me...

Attached picture 6836510-Rear_brake.jpg
Posted By: lahatte

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 11:03 PM

Ok. You knew it was coming... Where does the disc brake set up come from?

Thanks.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 11:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

probably the good Doctor.

looks like his handiwork!

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/21/11 11:38 PM

I'm also curious, what are you matching with it up front?
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/22/11 02:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

it looks like a GM metric off a fullsize cadillac with a tag axle---bob
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/22/11 03:55 AM

That is the all the good Dr. Diff's handiwork. '71-2 rear housing with his 10.7" disc brake swap. He can give you better details, but IIRC, the calipers are Mustang Cobra rear calipers with the incorporated cam-actuated parking brake. Discs are off a late '80s Toyota Cressida/Supra (same exact discs as on my '86.6 Supra) with the register bored slightly to fit the 8-3/4 axle. Discs have the inner drum for the parking brake on the Supra, but I've found it's pretty ineffective on my Supra, even though adjusted properly and shoes have plenty of meat.

Custom parking brake cables supplied by him with the kit, but built by another vendor. Hook right up to the existing e-brake cable at the frame rail attach points.

Had the fronts before I purchased his rear setup.
But matches to front fairly closely, according to
Cass. The fronts are 1st gen Viper calipers on the brackets built by AR Engineering, bolted to A-body drum brake spindles. M/C is a MP unit, 1-1/32" diameter bore, IIRC, (maybe 1-1/16"). Haven't driven the car yet, as kids and jobby-job occupy most of my time, but pedal is firm and travels an appropriate amount of distance to reach firmness, for my taste. Whether it stops well without two feet on the pedal, I have yet to determine. Prop valve is an old Direct Connection adjustable unit, for nostalgia's sake.

Sorry for the hijack...

Attached picture 6837053-Front_disc_assembly.jpg

Re: Powdercoating a rear axle, who's done this? - 09/22/11 04:28 AM

Thanks for the informative reply.
© 2024 Moparts Forums