Moparts

Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ?

Posted By: Classof70Chally

Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/03/09 11:01 PM

One of my winter projects is new carpet for the Vert and I'm looking for opinions on the best carpet for fit and finish. I'm not too concerned about the cost, I just want it to be right and fit the first time . Thanks in advance.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/04/09 03:06 AM

Motor Parts South. Best carpet you can buy, and they are the company that had it developed. 704-435-2692 Geoff, Bill or Dennis.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/04/09 05:48 AM

I allways recommend ACC carpet,....although I recommend you order it in high cut pile, while it may not be ""original"" it looks and feels fantastic, plus being a special order, it's made "fresh", so even if it's rolled up in the box for the trip, it just a few days, .....I've never ordered anything but for my cars,...the loop pile 80/20's look like Grandmas throw rug in your car compared to High cut pile,....plus the loop pile fades in the sun, esp vertibles,....the 1st High cut pile I ordered 30 years ago in my Challenger from ACC still looks like I bought it yesterday .....once you go High cut pile, you'll never go back to "stock" carpets

Mike
Posted By: BDW

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/04/09 10:00 PM

Got any pics of the cut pile. I like your reasoning, but I'm concerned what the texture is like. Anything I can compare it to at HD or a carpet store.

Do you recommend the MAS backing they offer?

Thx

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/04/09 11:08 PM

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing a pic also. I'm not too concerned with authenticity, although I do show the car it will never see the Nats or anything like that. I'd rather have quality and longevity.
Posted By: Culvers

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/05/09 06:10 AM

Link

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/05/09 12:46 PM

Sorry, couldn't even get through the 1st page of that link, deteriorated pretty fast.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/05/09 11:42 PM

Quote:

Got any pics of the cut pile. I like your reasoning, but I'm concerned what the texture is like. Anything I can compare it to at HD or a carpet store.

Do you recommend the MAS backing they offer?

Thx

Texture,....Hmmm, could best be described as velvet as far as the feel, a black colored rug is very dark, if that makes since, you see no grain, texture, pattern, nothing, just black!....I only have some pics of my Daytona with the cut pile,...Black of course,....but HIGH cut pile in any color is just that color, no shadeing, texture, etc,....kind of hard to describe,....but I'd never go back to loop pile, no matter how original the car is

Mike

Attached picture 5648953-chargerinterior2.jpg

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/05/09 11:48 PM

I usually don't focus the picture on carpet ,.....about the best shots I have,...if you do decide to order it specify HIGH cut pile,...not just cut pile, High cut pile's nap is about 1/2" tall,....don't worry it not shag carpeting! .....FYI if your doing a B body w/console ACC also offers the console carpet kit in High pile as seen here

Attached picture 5648969-chargerinterior9.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 12:21 AM

ECS

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 12:32 AM

Thx Mike,

What about dirt/vacuuming for a car that's driven? Does it hold the dirt? When you say "high" I worrying about the long term up-keep for a daily driver.

Appreciate the help.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 01:08 AM

Quote:

Thx Mike,

What about dirt/vacuuming for a car that's driven? Does it hold the dirt? When you say "high" I worrying about the long term up-keep for a daily driver.

Appreciate the help.

Wilson, I actually find the cut pile easier to clean, in fact I rarely vacumm it, just use a stiff straw wisk brush, and brush the dirt and sand out, and I do drive my cars, no trailer queens, and I'm all for having a nice car, but hate cleaning them

Mike

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 01:13 AM

Quote:

ECS

ECS Doesn't make carpet, Dave purchases carpet fron ACC, and has it shipped flat in his bulk containers, to be shipped flat to his customers who are "worried" about a carpet being folded into a 1'X1'X30" box....adds about $150 to the ACC carpet price for the O/S shipping

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 05:24 PM

Looks like what I'm after. Who is 'ACC' ? Do they have a web site? Thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 06:10 PM

I am fully aware that ECS doesn't manufacture carpet, but he does add a valuable service in having it specially handled and shipped, and it DOES make a HUGE difference in the finished product.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 06:14 PM

Quote:

You can order it through RockAuto, best prices I've found so far.

Still undecided on the plush. I just got done vacuuming my 06 Mustang, and if that's what plush is, I think I'll order it for the Challenger. Much nicer than the loop.
Posted By: dulcich

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 09:10 PM

I'm liking what Dayclona is saying. I'm going to use it from now on. The loop resto carpet you get these days, especially black, fades. The carpet I put in is in my 'vert and the black faded to reddish and looks like crap after about a year. Don't know why, but the OEM carpet can go 30 years and stay nice and black, but the replacement rugs look great when you first put them in but fade something terrible.
-dulcich

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 09:17 PM

Quote:

ACC,...is Auto Custom Carpet,.....I usually go thru Legendary for my purchases, that way the box that shows up drop shipped from ACC is an ACC carpet,.....dealing with ACC direct, is like dealing with Wheels Vintique direct, they prefer you don't,...you get a better "discounted" price going thru one of their prefered vendors

Mike

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 09:26 PM

Quote:

I am fully aware that ECS doesn't manufacture carpet, but he does add a valuable service in having it specially handled and shipped, and it DOES make a HUGE difference in the finished product.

That's fine if your buying the standard loop pile carpet, this way you know your getting a fresh carpet from DW at ECS,....as most of the stock loop piles are premade, boxed, then sit in storage, or stocked in vendors storage for who knows how long, only to take on a wrinkled set thats hard to remove, sometines impossible,

but if your ordering a custom made carpet, ACC does many different mat'ls on request, even fur!...so if it's been just made, squeezed into a box, Im sure it will survive 3-5 days rolled up,...now if the buyer leaves it like that for months or years, until he's ready to use it,...has nobody to blame but himself

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 09:29 PM

Still undecided on the plush. I just got done vacuuming my 06 Mustang, and if that's what plush is, I think I'll order it for the Challenger. Much nicer than the loop.

Pretty much all vehicles produced today have various grades/cut heights of cut pile carpeting,......loop is a thing of the past
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

ACC,...is Auto Custom Carpet,.....I usually go thru Legendary for my purchases, that way the box that shows up drop shipped from ACC is an ACC carpet,.....dealing with ACC direct, is like dealing with Wheels Vintique direct, they prefer you don't,...you get a better "discounted" price going thru one of their prefered vendors

Mike

Mike - When was the last time you ordered a carpet through Legendary?
I just had a customer call me about some products and the talk shifted to carpet, he told me that he had ordered a carpet through Legendary and he received a different company brand of carpet instead of ACC!!!
Personally I do not like ACC as much and yes I sell ACC too, but that is my 2cents and yes I know, no one asked me.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 11:09 PM

Nick,

Last carpet I ordered thru Legendary was a E body 4 spd High Cut Pile,......back in late 2007,...it was an ACC, drop shipped,...as far as I know, Legendary only delt with ACC,....if they have added, or changed vendors, that's news to me,....although in the past when Legendary had changed vendors on certain items, they still ablidged me by supplying what I requested, even if it was a special order,.....If Legendary has completely severed their ties with ACC,...then A-Z Nick/ Nicks Classic Parts sounds like the place to go if you want an ACC carpet,....I'll be needing another E body one after Christmas
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/06/09 11:23 PM

Quote:

Nick,

Last carpet I ordered thru Legendary was a E body 4 spd High Cut Pile,......back in late 2007,...it was an ACC, drop shipped,...as far as I know, Legendary only delt with ACC,....if they have added, or changed vendors, that's news to me,....although in the past when Legendary had changed vendors on certain items, they still ablidged me by supplying what I requested, even if it was a special order,.....

I am not sure what is going on, maybe they did change or not. When Jim called and we started talking about carpet and he said that he received product B instead of ACC from Legendary I thought he was nuts but he still had the id info from the other company and read it to me, yes I was in shock.....
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/07/09 12:33 AM

ACC at one time was the best. As of late the black carpet they sell is crap. The sun fades it to purple and they have done nothing to change it.

Why would ACC make sure one guy they sell to get's the heel pad sewn in the same spot all the time and ignore their regular stock?

To me if you can locate the heel pad you have the carpet install licked. A little work with a heat gun and your in like flynn.

Spending the extra cash for shipping would be marginal if the heel pad is in the wrong place.
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/07/09 12:42 AM

Legendary is selling Trim Parts carpet now. They still sell ACC carpet if you want it.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/07/09 01:04 AM

Not all ACC carpet is the same. The good carpet costs more, but is well worth it. Once again, call Motor Parts South (704) 435-2692 and tell Geoff, Bill or Dennis you would like to learn more about the better type carpet that they worked to get developed.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/07/09 03:39 AM

Quote:

ACC at one time was the best. As of late the black carpet they sell is crap. The sun fades it to purple and they have done nothing to change it.

If your buying the 80/20 loop in any color, esp black, it dosen't hold up at all,....I've allways like the "look" that high cut pile had,...I have 5 of my personal cars with ACC high cut pile carpet, the rugs range in age from 31 years old to the newest being 2 yrs old, they all look like brand new,...I have another E body that got the 80/20 loop (the only one) (ACC) in black that carpet lasted less than a year before turning purple, that carpet is about 10 years old, so it's not a "recent" issuse with ACC,....It's basically a suppliers issuse of the raw mat'l, but I agree ACC has never addressed the issuse,....but again, I've never experienced any problems with the High Cut Pile carpets from ACC, no issuses with mat'l color bleeding, or mat'l shortage during installation,....but the 80/20's I've installed in customers cars (at their request) never lasted in holding color, or wear, just crappy,....which is why I say if you want a nice ACC carpet, buy a High cut pile, leave the 80/20 for Grandmas kitchen

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/07/09 04:11 AM

Mike...does the high cut pile stand up pretty good, or will it matt down after a while? A friend of mine had that type carpet in a Dart Sport, and it had to have come in it. This was around 75 or 76. I liked it, but never paid it much attention because it had nothing to do with going fast! Maybe I'll get a chance to check it out in one of your cars someday.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 12/07/09 04:16 AM

JD,.....The high cut pile holds up very well, no "matted" spots, wear marks, even the oldest ACC carpet I have in my Challenger T/A, I put that in around 1979, still looks like I put it in yesterday, which even surprises me, as carpet care is really last on my list of items to worry about

Mike
Posted By: 71charger

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/14/10 10:07 PM

I showed up at Carlisle with brand new Legendary carpet in the front and several year old J.C. Whitney in the back and only got criticized on the front carpet. I was told I would have a really nice interior when I got new carpet in the front. Whitney's suppliers do a nice job and have nice material. They might not be the ticket for the concours restos, but for the daily drivers like mine, there's no point in spending a fortune on carpet when the "good enough" carpet is as good as the name brand stuff.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/14/10 10:33 PM

Dayclona, based on your recommendation I went the plush route.

I'm just finishing up the install of the ACC plush carpet (from RockAuto). It looks great, like a modern car.

I'll let you know in 2-3yrs how it holds up.

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/14/10 11:44 PM

Quote:

Dayclona, based on your recommendation I went the plush route.

I'm just finishing up the install of the ACC plush carpet (from RockAuto). It looks great, like a modern car.

I'll let you know in 2-3yrs how it holds up.

Good to hear Wilson!....I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/17/10 01:28 PM

Thought I'd post a couple of pics and make a few comments.

1) If you want to see/feel what the plush is, check out the newer Mustangs. I have a 06 and this is exactly same carpet
2) Install was fairly simple, just took time double checking everything to minimize mistakes.
3) Pros: New carpet look and feel, good fit, great price from RockAuto.
4) Cons: Carpet didn't have as crisp bends/contours as I would have liked. A lot of excess to trim.

I didn't realize how badly my carpet had faded, it was almost orange. My son commented, "The rest of the interior looks bad now compared to the new carpet".

I'd love to hear from someone who has the "shipped flat" carpet. If you could just put it in without trimming and the holes are pre-cut then I would pay extra. Otherwise I'll use the money for some other project. But then again anyone buying "shipped flat" carpet would buy the loop. But I have to agree with Dayclona, once you see/feel the plush, the loop just seems old fashioned.

Attached picture 5740745-frt_driver.JPG

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/17/10 01:28 PM

2nd

Attached picture 5740746-frt_passenger.JPG

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/17/10 01:29 PM

3rd

Attached picture 5740748-rear_driver.JPG

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/17/10 01:29 PM

4th

Attached picture 5740749-passenger_rear.JPG
Posted By: JonC

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/17/10 02:32 PM

Anyone use this company, good prices but don't know quality.
http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpetcars/dodge/acc/challenger70_74acc.htm

Re: Who's Got the Best Quality Carpet for a 70 Challenger ? - 01/17/10 04:19 PM

I'd love to hear from someone who has the "shipped flat" carpet. If you could just put it in without trimming and the holes are pre-cut then I would pay extra. Otherwise I'll use the money for some other project. But then again anyone buying "shipped flat" carpet would buy the loop.

Wilson,....installation looks good!.................. on the "ship flat" carpet, I don't think DaveW. is going to provide "precut" hole applications, too many variables, and the ship flat carpets are said to have excess mat'l available for installation, just what everyones clammered for, as in the past ACC 80/20 loop carpets were cut to short, around the door jambs and under dash area, and sometimes the rear seat area, plus the fade factor....that's why I decided to try the cut high pile many, many, many years ago,...and IMO was a better fitting/looking/longer lasting carpet, the excess mat'l was a blessing for installation, (plus the custom order assured you of a freshly made carpet, not sometime sitting in a box for who knows how many months/years?) in regards to a pre 75 application (75-up Mopars are high cut pile)......I've asked DaveW is High cut pile would be avaliable in "flat ship" availability, but I never got a "definitive answer"

Mike

Shipped flat ACC/ECS carpet below

Attached picture 5740996-carpet3.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums