Moparts

440-6 engine dyno????

Posted By: Anonymous

440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 12:40 PM

I have a 70 cuda with 45 miles on it and on it I upgraded to pointless distr. At cruise I get a constant surge. I did the engine completly stock. I have been told to use the vacuum advance and no do not use the vacuum advance, set the timming a 18*BTDC not 10* as the bood says, its a carb problem and now the local guy says the only way to figure this out is to put it on a dyno. I sure don't like the way the engines sound on a dyno, is it safe and do you agree. Any ideas would really help right now. The guy with the dyno told me that setting the timming at 10* and the total advance at 36* and hooking up the vacuum and have the total advance pulled up to 52* is perfect.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 01:19 PM

don't take this the wrong way but ...

you don't seem to have the skills to correctly tune it , and seriously sometimes i don't either so it will be money WELL SPENT to take it to a shop with a chassis dyno that can duplicate actual running down the road and tune out that surge , correct the A/F ratio and get the most power out of the engine .

it's a no brainer

Re: 440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 01:48 PM

not taken the wrong way, thanks for your wisdom as I am a carpenter and not a mechanic
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 02:39 PM

Surging at cruse speed is usually the carb being too lean. The chassis dyno is a good tool and they will likely hook up a wideband 02 sensor to the exhaust so they can see the air/fuel ration under different load conditions.
The quoted distrubitor advance curves don't sound unreasonable, but not all engines are the same.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 02:55 PM

see what jets are in your center carb,swap to a pair 4 sizes larger & go back out for a cruise.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 06:48 PM

Chassis dyno time will help majorly or you can try repeated jet changes to try to narrow down the A/F problem you seem to have.

R.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: 440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 09:08 PM

Quote:

I have a 70 cuda with 45 miles on it and on it I upgraded to pointless distr. At cruise I get a constant surge. I did the engine completly stock. I have been told to use the vacuum advance and no do not use the vacuum advance, set the timming a 18*BTDC not 10* as the bood says, its a carb problem and now the local guy says the only way to figure this out is to put it on a dyno. I sure don't like the way the engines sound on a dyno, is it safe and do you agree. Any ideas would really help right now. The guy with the dyno told me that setting the timming at 10* and the total advance at 36* and hooking up the vacuum and have the total advance pulled up to 52* is perfect.

the 10-36-52 timing scenario is correct. you were given carb advice in a previous post. please use those jetting tips and your problems will probably be solved.

Re: 440-6 engine dyno???? - 07/17/08 11:22 PM

The new repo carbs come with 62 jets in the center carb--not enough--add some jet and that baby will do great--I agree that a 66 to a 69 is a good starting point depending on your type of exhaust etc
© 2024 Moparts Forums