Moparts

Removing the drivetrain out the bottom....

Posted By: sharpie

Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 07:22 PM

Pictures, advice, anything related is much appreciated.

I know it's way easier than lifting the drivetrain out, but can it be done with a 1-ton cherry picker alone?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 08:14 PM

I have not done it yet, but the pics I have seen usually involve removing the front bumper and running a chain around the bumper brackets. Some guys have made steel tube extensions that bolt up in place of the bumper brackets.

You will need a cart of some sort to lower the engine onto. Dig up Cameron's thread about his 360 magnum installation he was working on for pics.
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 08:51 PM

Attached picture 5639209-DSC06318.JPG
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 08:57 PM

Quote:

I know it's way easier than lifting the drivetrain out, but can it be done with a 1-ton cherry picker alone?

Are you sure its way easier to come out the bottom? Seems to me when its all said and done its more fasteners or work. I pulled out a 383 just the other day and it couldnt have been much easier. The only other stuff holding in the tranny was the cross member assy, which you will have to remove any ways. Do you plan to split the motor and tranny apart?
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 08:59 PM

We did it with our Dart when we swapped from a 225 to a 360, just as an experiment.

We had to swap K-frames anyway, and it was easier than I thought it would be to go from the bottom.

Posted By: sharpie

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 09:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure its way easier to come out the bottom? Seems to me when its all said and done its more fasteners or work. I pulled out a 383 just the other day and it couldnt have been much easier. The only other stuff holding in the tranny was the cross member assy, which you will have to remove any ways. Do you plan to split the motor and tranny apart?

More fasteners, but better for what I need to do. I need to replace the steering box and the transmission seals (front, pump, rear), and paint the motor anyway. The steering box would necessitate taking out the driver's side header (it's an A-body) and lifting the engine, so I might as well take out the engine since I need to do the other stuff.
Posted By: FJ6AAR

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 09:33 PM

Once everything is disconnected it's just 8 bolts. Here is a shot of mine coming out from the bottom. This was the first time I did it this way and it was much easier then going out the top. Rob

Attached picture 5639306-e395.jpg
Posted By: FJ6AAR

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 09:34 PM

One more....

Attached picture 5639308-e396.jpg
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 09:39 PM

Here's mine

Attached picture 5639316-71Charger2.jpg
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 10:04 PM

I would still just pull the motor and reseal the tranny in place and that will give you access to the steering box. The above pic shows a car lift, I dont think you have but a cherry picker.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 10:33 PM

Just did another one from the bottom yesterday. I'll download some pics from the BB in a minute or so...

Posted By: 64Post

Re: Removing the drivetrain out the bottom.... - 12/01/09 11:10 PM

No need to pull the bumper off or rig up anything of the sort. There is usually a 1" hole on the bottom of each frame rail near the radiator support. Just use a chain with a hook on each end, insert the hook in the hole, and you're good to go.
© 2024 Moparts Forums