Moparts

My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" magnet

Posted By: STLDuster

My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" magnet - 11/23/09 01:41 PM

I have about 10,000 miles on my '09 Ram. When I switched to mobil 1 a while back I noticed some valve train noise upon start up. After doing some homework on the issue, I found that some other people had similiar issues. Not just with the Mopar engines, it was hit or miss across the board.

So I couldnt stand it any longer and changed my oil at 4500 miles. I collected a sample of it and sent it in to be tested. I wanted to see what was going on in my new engine.

Here are the results;

I was so relieved! Wix Filters Rock!

I am tempted to pick up a filter magnet and stick on the filter to help removed what iron is being passed through.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I am looking at this one:
http://www.jegs.com/i/FilterMAG/384/HP365/10002/-1
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" ma - 11/23/09 06:49 PM

I use both a filter and an oil plug magnet. I've never really checked on the filter magnet, but the oil plug magnet always picks up metal that I can see during my oil changes.
Posted By: Neil

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" ma - 11/23/09 07:12 PM

I run one on my daily driver. I have cut the filter open a few times and it will always have a small collection of iron particles where the magnet sat. Not a lot, but enough to see that it's doing something.

I also run a napa gold filter, which is made by wix.
Posted By: chache876

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" ma - 11/23/09 07:12 PM

wouldn't a magnet on the filter possibly cause it to clog?

I would at least get a magnetic drain plug
Posted By: Neil

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" ma - 11/23/09 07:15 PM

If the magnet is collecting enough metal to physically clog the oil filter the engine would be junk at that point.
Posted By: chache876

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" ma - 11/23/09 07:22 PM

Quote:

If the magnet is collecting enough metal to physically clog the oil filter the engine would be junk at that point.

Good point. Although $70 is kinda steep for a magnet. I wonder if you could find something locally for cheaper
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" ma - 11/24/09 01:18 AM

I've had this discussion with a great mechanic with 40+ years experience. He feels that pressure and flow are too great inside the oil filter for a weak magnet to have full effect. I run a magnetic drain plug on all my cars. Inside the trans pan I have a strong "earth" magnet on my old HP cars (newer stuff already has a magnet in the pan), and on the outside of the oil pan on the engine. Oil will make its way down to the pan and get pulled to the magnet, even when the vehicle is not running.
Posted By: 360view

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" magnet - 11/24/09 03:08 PM

the majority of the circulating grit in the oil is usually not metallic ... unless the equipment is at a steel mill or taconite mine

nothing wrong with a magnet,
it just does not produce 'miracles'
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" magnet - 11/24/09 03:22 PM

Quote:

the majority of the circulating grit in the oil is usually not metallic
nothing wrong with a magnet, it just does not produce 'miracles'

I agree and alot of the metallic debris isn't even ferrous but I would use a powerful one made for this that goes around the outside of the filter (not a deal breaker but it helps me sleep better at night )
Posted By: I go fast

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" magnet - 11/24/09 04:06 PM

And if the metal gets to the filter,just how would it go any farther.
Posted By: moper

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" magnet - 11/24/09 04:27 PM

I have a large magnet I use during cam break in that covers teh end of the filter... But I dont place a ton of faith in it... just something that sounded like a good idea. And it doesnt get used during any other time...lol.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: My Oil Analysis Results!Anyone use a "FilterMag" magnet - 11/24/09 07:13 PM

Could always put a couple hard drive magnets on the bottom of the oil pan. Those magnets are pretty tough and after you key off they would definitely collect any shavings suspended in the oil.
© 2024 Moparts Forums