Moparts

building a road course car .what would be the best??

Posted By: hulmule

building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 02:41 AM

My brother keeps trying to talk me into racing with him on a road course. well i have a AAR but hate to put it on the track, cost to much if i wreck it.I do own GTS big block 4 spd.car but hate to race it also .what can i build for a good road course car.like the old Trans Am series. anyone race road courses?? thanks
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 02:50 AM

Tom Quadrini races his original AAR, I am sure he will chime in. He knows a lot about really making these cars handle.
Posted By: 71Dusterdan

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 03:09 AM

How bout that 2500 diesel megacab? Now that would be a challenge and impress all the jaded suckers!! hahaha
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 03:31 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...t=1#Post2809186
Posted By: AndyF

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 03:34 AM

A body cars are probably the only reasonable option these days. Fairly lightweight, reasonably easy to find and to buy parts for, decent suspension design, etc.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 03:36 AM

A 70-76 Duster Demon would be the easiest dollar wise. They've got a little more room in the rear for wide tires, decent front tire room, The 73-76 V-8's have the best K-member and sway bar setup.

No one ran a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport in Trans Am though. A-bodies that I know that ran in Trans Am: 66 Dart, 67 and 68 Dart, 68 Barracuda, 66 Barracuda. I believe there are some 65 Darts and Barracudas that have run SCCA A-Sedan.

You could run your AAR with bolt on stuff. Tom's stuff is all bolt on I think. Same ideas transer to on an A-body. But I wouldn't run the 383 Dart GTS just because the front's so heavy.

The question is what you are looking to do with it. Occassional track day, SCCA classed autocross, heavy track days, VARA vintage Trans Am legal, NASA vintage iron class ?...

Do you want to buy a kit or rather piece it together?
Posted By: jcc

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 04:32 AM

If you want to look good and not ever wreck, E body, if you want to race and run hard, an a body

Attached picture 5617835-P1010040-72-dart-race-car.jpg
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 05:57 AM

For the easyst build, a 67 up A body. There is about 10,000 different parts for the A bodys to make then go and corner. That said, a 65 Barracuda can take a 275/60 HR 15 tire inside the wheelwell.
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 10:42 AM

Are you racing or just want to play?

A body would be best, E body like an AAR is the coolest though...it's no fun unless it's the real deal.

High Performance Driving School is the best way to have fun and learn. As far as wrecking, this is not NASCAR @ Talledaga so unless you get stupid and over your head, crashing is not going to happen. Crashes are rare at D-S unless you are driving a Porsche-no kidding.

Cost for prepping a car is about the same for any style body. Tires are the most important item on the car followed by shocks, then brakes.

To set up any existing car properly for driving school costs from $2000-$3500 depending on what you do. I have a breakdown of what it cost to make a [omg real] 440+6 Superbird track ready but no time to type right now.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 02:26 PM

Do the A body, you can't build a 60's or 70's car that could be made handle as good for the money. If you took a $1500 4 door dart and about $3500 in parts you could put together one great car for cheap if you do the work yourself.
The M body is a lot more trickey to get to work, when I did mine the I could never get the front to work really good, at the time no one made bigger t-bars, the factory ones just did not have enough spring rate. Plus it a lot of work to get rid of all the rubber that holds the rear springs and axle in place. The A boby also has a 300lb weight advantage.
Now if you just want to have fun a truck can be a blast and you can use it for halling stuff when your not racing it.

Attached picture 5618230-DSC00311.JPG
Posted By: PowerWagonDude

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/21/09 04:48 PM

I had a 1984 Dodge Diplomat police package. It handled great. They already have the sway bars and big brakes. The Diplomats and Gran Furys are cheap and setup for smallblock. Maybe a 360 based stroker 4" crank and aluminum heads to lighten the front. The "A" body headers will fit. Besides wouldn't it be fun to win races in a four door sedan?
Posted By: hulmule

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/22/09 01:22 AM

well guys thanks for the great tips. had to post then leave. back again tonight for awhile off on while son does home work. just for fun mostly maybe more if i really like it. maybe my LIL RED with alot of weight in the back so it doesnt come around on me LOL . but i do want to get ready for next season here at nelson ledges.hate to spin out the AAR and crash!! to much money sitting. well lets see what parts i need to do this !!I'll check back in a little bit phil

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/22/09 03:14 AM

Quote:

well guys thanks for the great tips. had to post then leave. back again tonight for awhile off on while son does home work. just for fun mostly maybe more if i really like it. maybe my LIL RED with alot of weight in the back so it doesnt come around on me LOL . but i do want to get ready for next season here at nelson ledges.hate to spin out the AAR and crash!! to much money sitting. well lets see what parts i need to do this !! I'll check back in a little bit phil

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to vintage race or just occasional track day. Or a lot of track days?

This list Tom Quad had on his car is really good: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=4&vc=1

There have been some new items released since then... Like, I think starting with AREngineering Brembo front disk swap would be a better starting point nowadays. That way if you wanted to do to 13" rotors, you'd already have the calipers.

Might want to think about 17" rims nowadays because that is the minimum rim for 13" rotors and there's a little more tire selection.

IHMO, the adjustable hollow rear sway bars that Hotchkis and Hellwig just came out with are an advantage to the Firm Feel style even though the Firm Feel has better routing. They really give you an oppurtunity to adjust the balance of the car.

Other new products to consider: Hotchkis improved geometry upper A-arms, XV engine compartment reinforcing/bracing. Also frame connectors of some sort.
Posted By: sogtx

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/22/09 03:25 AM

Im giving it a whack with a 71 bbody
xv body mods
alterkation

But i ran outta money

Attached picture 5619565-alterk.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/22/09 03:05 PM

how about a 80's cop car?? grand fury or diplomat??? gut it build the 360 (cheap) It already has all the heavy duty junk on it. Plus it'd be cool to show up w/ a 4 door.
Posted By: sogtx

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/23/09 03:53 AM

already been done

Attached picture 5621611-newport2.JPG
Posted By: Hotchkis

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/23/09 05:21 PM

As most of the other posters have mentioned, an A-body is probably your cheapest option. For a long time, there weren't many aftermarket parts for the A-bodies, but now you can get all kinds of A-body specific go fast goodies. We have an excellent new system for the A-body cars. Stay tuned for videos and photos of our A-body testing.

Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/23/09 06:15 PM

A guy at work used to race his Viper till he crashed it. After repairing it, he was too conservative to be competitive, so he got a dedicated open wheel race car and never looked back. Another guy races in the Hornet class. The cars are 4 cylinders, 70 series tires, and if you win, your car can be claimed for $400. Race junk, spend nothing, and have fun every weekend. Everyone's under the same rules. Those guys actually race. I don't, so that's just my
Posted By: topside

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 12:54 AM

I'd be tempted to build a '63-'66 Valiant, basically an early SCCA A Sedan car, with the best suspension & brakes I could afford, and some modern sticky tires. For really weirding out the status guys, a '60-'62 Valiant or Lancer body with a SB swap would have to be an absolute riot, especially if it had 4 doors. If it weren't for the added weight high & at the rear, a wagon would make heads spin...

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 03:01 AM

Quote:

I'd be tempted to build a '63-'66 Valiant, basically an early SCCA A Sedan car, with the best suspension & brakes I could afford, and some modern sticky tires. For really weirding out the status guys, a '60-'62 Valiant or Lancer body with a SB swap would have to be an absolute riot, especially if it had 4 doors. If it weren't for the added weight high & at the rear, a wagon would make heads spin...

That would make a very neat car. I've got a picture of one with that look from Fall Fling. I'll try to find it.

They are the lightest and smallest A-bodies and have a 106" wheelbase for the Plymouths. The 60-62's have weird front suspension.

The car would definitely need some fender flares. But make the gradual so they don't stand out to much; like the 70 race T/A and AAR's had. I'd want to run at least 245 wide tires.

Those cars look pretty good without front bumpers too.
Posted By: jcc

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 03:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That would make a very neat car. I've got a picture of one with that look from Fall Fling. I'll try to find it.

They are the lightest and smallest A-bodies and have a 106" wheelbase for the Plymouths. The 60-62's have weird front suspension.

The car would definitely need some fender flares. But make the gradual so they don't stand out to much; like the 70 race T/A and AAR's had. I'd want to run at least 245 wide tires.

Those cars look pretty good without front bumpers too.

I've been searching for a 62 A body for 3 months now (see A body want ads ) to build into a tube chassis road course set-up. I'm planning on using a Caddy CTS IRS with a stroker 360. Should be fun. Heck, I'd even take a wagon if I could find a decnt one. Most guys don't want to hear about me cutting up their cars.
Posted By: Greg55_99

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 04:06 PM

I've got my own ideas...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=5#Post5393146

Greg
Posted By: topside

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 04:07 PM

There was an early Valiant 2-door on eBay a while ago...

I think one could get an 8" tire under a '63-'66 with a little work, and maybe 10" if offsets & track width were juggled around & rear minitubs.

Sorry for the hi-jack...
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 04:32 PM

There's a '62 Valiant 2 dr sitting at the end of my road I've been thinking of getting for awhile. I don't think anyone has ever even stopped to ask if it's for sale. I'm sure the guy will sell it cheap.

My '89 Diplomat police package handles awesome. But it already has all the HD stuff on it, front and rear sway bars, big brakes etc. It's fun getting off the interstate with it and taking the corner at 65 mph.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 04:40 PM

volare station wagon
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 07:12 PM

Hmm, something like this? read about it here; http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0612_1965_pontiac_gto/accident.html

To make it a mopar, use a 66-67 Satellite. Inexpensive to find, long and low by nature, put a full boogie XV suspension under it and go.

Attached picture 5624348-hrdp_0612_01_z+1964_pontiac_gto+front_view_racing.jpg

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/24/09 07:17 PM

Of course, there is always the 73-73 E body route. read about it here; http://www.glennbunch.com/

Aluminum Hemi running in a class where it is not regulated in any way and is kicking Ferrari butt regularly.

Attached picture 5624354-IMSAChallenger.JPG

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/29/09 08:51 PM

wow, this one sure got quiet in a hurry.
Posted By: patrick

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 11/30/09 01:22 PM

Quote:

The M body is a lot more trickey to get to work, when I did mine the I could never get the front to work really good, at the time no one made bigger t-bars, the factory ones just did not have enough spring rate. Plus it a lot of work to get rid of all the rubber that holds the rear springs and axle in place. The A boby also has a 300lb weight advantage.
Now if you just want to have fun a truck can be a blast and you can use it for halling stuff when your not racing it.

firmfeel makes stiffer t-bars for F/M/J's now....but they're ~$700
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 12/01/09 08:54 PM

No offense meant to anyone but that's one ugly Challenger, almost looks like a fire chicken.
I love race classes where the cars stay recognizable.
That's why the early Trans Am races are so much fun to watch, stock looking cars flying around the track.
Posted By: dOc …

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 12/01/09 09:00 PM

Quote:

how about a 80's cop car?? grand fury or diplomat??? gut it build the 360 (cheap) It already has all the heavy duty junk on it. Plus it'd be cool to show up w/ a 4 door.

ANOTHER vote ferrr an M-body .. but do-it with a 5th Ave.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: building a road course car .what would be the best?? - 12/01/09 09:24 PM

Check this guy out. I'm not sure he's still racing this car but you might get some good ideas.

http://users.erols.com/dmapes/ZEBRA.HTM
© 2024 Moparts Forums