Moparts

AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible?

Posted By: nutso suave

AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/19/09 07:12 AM

i have an AOD833 transmission in my roadrunner and i want to swap out the granny first gear with the regular A833 first gear. is this possible? the 3.09 stump puller is not very useful in a muscle car...but i love the OD 0.73 gear for driving long distances. is it possible? i have read the slant six article several times.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

it seems like first gear isn't part of the 'flipping' modification:

Quote:

The Overdrive four speed was a regular A-833 with an overdriven gear set installed in place of the regular third gear. The shift lever on the side cover was flipped over to "fool" the shifter into shifting from second to fourth and then back into third, which was the overdrive gear.

any ideas?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/19/09 04:00 PM

Nope, won't work. Every gear set is dictated by the cluster gear, plus the main shafts were different between the two (different diameter where the gears ride).
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/19/09 04:50 PM

Can't be done. Only other option is to install a passon overdrive gearset. Will bring your strength up to the 18 spline level at least.

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/19/09 05:18 PM

el crapo! oh well. anyone need any stumps removed?
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/19/09 06:20 PM

Quote:

i have an AOD833 transmission in my roadrunner and i want to swap out the granny first gear with the regular A833 first gear. is this possible? the 3.09 stump puller is not very useful in a muscle car...but i love the OD 0.73 gear for driving long distances. is it possible? i have read the slant six article several times.

Quote:

The Overdrive four speed was a regular A-833 with an overdriven gear set installed in place of the regular third gear. The shift lever on the side cover was flipped over to "fool" the shifter into shifting from second to fourth and then back into third, which was the overdrive gear.

any ideas?

take some rear gear out and build an A833 using 3.09/1.92/1.40/1 gearset. Much less spread than the the overdrive A833
Posted By: patrick

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/19/09 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

any ideas?

take some rear gear out and build an A833 using 3.09/1.92/1.40/1 gearset. Much less spread than the the overdrive A833

3.23's and a 3.09 first have about the same first overall gear multiplication as a 2.66 1st/3.73, or a 2.47 1st/4.10

but about the same 4th gear multiplication as an A833OD with 4.42 rear gears if such a beast were to exist.

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/20/09 12:09 AM

hmmmm..this is a very good idea - and cheap! everyone wants 4:10s!
Posted By: mshred

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/25/09 08:44 PM

who sells the 3.09 gearset? isnt it an old direct connection close ratio peice?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: AOD833 granny first gear replacement possible? - 11/25/09 09:19 PM

Quote:

who sells the 3.09 gearset? isnt it an old direct connection close ratio peice?

no early A body gear set , and it's not really close ratio
© 2024 Moparts Forums