Moparts

71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams

Posted By: shadow456

71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 04:20 AM

is there any problems or anything i need to switch my sealed beams to halogen sealed beams? amps or volts concerns? thanks..
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: 71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 03:03 PM

I've used halogen sealed beams in 2 of my Challengers, and have not had any problems.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 03:38 PM

They actually draw less amps than sealed beams.Have them in my 65 the kids 62 and had them in my 57.Only time you have to worry some is if they have replacement bulbs inside.If you go over a 55/100 watt it might draw too much current.I run 55/100 in my Harleys with no proble,s and one is a 58.Rocky
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: 71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 03:46 PM

needs to use relays. The power suck by the halogens won't be drive safe by the original switch. Too much load on them.
Posted By: kb73rr

Re: 71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 03:48 PM

I've used all sealed beam halogens for years with no issues. You'll like the difference at night.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: 71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 03:49 PM

same as me... everyone down here uses halogens... but WITH RELAYS!
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: 71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 08:42 PM

Quote:

is there any problems or anything i need to switch my sealed beams to halogen sealed beams? amps or volts concerns? thanks..

As Nacho mentioned relays may improve the situation, if light output on the current sealed beams is lame. Halogens will help somewhat, but the limiting factor most of the time is the electrical system itself on these old cars. The headlights' power comes from 1) alternator, 2) through bulkhead (power loss), 3) through headlight switch (more power loss), 4) through dimmer switch (more power loss), 5) back through bulkhead (more power loss). Plenty of places for resistance to build up, resulting in lame headlight power, ergo lame light output.

Lots of places (here and elsewhere) to find how to hook up relays to get decent power to the bulbs (whether sealed beams or H4s). One relay for the low beams, one relay for highs, the original power for the bulbs becomes the trigger for the relay. It's actually quite easy to figure out. Probably even some diagrams here on Moparts somewhere. Parts to do it from any auto parts place for less then $10, most likely.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: 71 RR switch to halogen sealed beams - 11/16/09 09:00 PM

Here are some links to recent threads on this subject.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...page=0&vc=1

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...page=0&vc=1
© 2024 Moparts Forums